Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

T/C Pa hunter

Old 12-30-2012, 03:36 AM
Spike

Default T/C Pa hunter

Hello can anyone tell me what i have to do to change my Pa hunter flinlock over to a double set trigger? Can i just drop in a t/c set trigger or is this a custom job
Old 12-30-2012, 07:22 AM
Dominant Buck

I am not sure that it can be done. I have a PA Hunter and it has an excellent trigger. I would never try to even change that trigger. But good luck. Wow a flintlock PA... very nice!!
Old 12-30-2012, 11:03 AM
Typical Buck

I think you can switch from double to single triggers only
but single back to double set triggers may require some inletting
Old 12-31-2012, 04:44 AM
Spike

You may not only have to do some inletting but I believe you may have to change your lock if it does not have a fly installed. Good Luck, Steve
Old 01-01-2013, 05:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by cayugad
. Wow a flintlock PA... very nice!!
They were pretty common place here in PA when they first came out. But I had the same reaction when I saw one in percussion.
T/C originally made these for PA hunters because their muzzy season was (and still is) flintlock only. And at the time they came out you could only use round balls which is why the PA hunter came with a 1:60 (or 66) twist. A better twist rate than the 1:48 offered in the Hawken and Renegade.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flinchlock hunter
Hello can anyone tell me what i have to do to change my Pa hunter flinlock over to a double set trigger? Can i just drop in a t/c set trigger or is this a custom job
flinchlock hunter,

I'm not certain that you can readily change the PA hunter over to double set triggers...the inletting is not the same on those as it is with the Hawken and Renegade models. I'm not sure why you would want a double set other than you don't like the factory trigger pull which is kind of stiff. Well...there's a reason for that. Pennsylvania is one of (if not the only) state that has a late muzzleloader season that is flintlock ignition only. T/C designed that gun with an enlarged trigger guard and a stiffer trigger pull to accomadate hunters wearing gloves because the flintlock season opens on Dec. 26th. which is usually pretty darn cold in the part of Pa. that I live in.
I would suggest that if your not comfortable with doing the work yourself that you take your lock to a competent gunsmith and have him polish and smooth all of the bearing surfaces until you get a nice smooth break, that's IF and only IF you don't like it the way it is...

BPS

Last edited by Blackpowdersmoke; 01-02-2013 at 06:24 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah, your season was flint with a PRB originally no?

I almost bought a PA with the RB twist. Nice gun.

Single trigger is really better for hunting. I'm loving the one on the New Englander, and was shocked when it broke at 3lbs with no noticeable creep.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Muley,

Yes, it used to be PRB only but they began allowing conicals 10 yrs ago or so. We can also use sights with fiber optic inserts. They recently passed the use of peep sights in our late season as well as Flintlock pistols .50 cal or larger.

BPS
Old 01-02-2013, 09:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Don't they allow sabots now too?

Kind of sad compared to how it started out.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:02 AM
Spike

Thanks for the info. Yeah the trigger on mine is way too stiff ,maybe i will have to try the gunsmith route

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.