Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
It's over and now were gonna get some >

It's over and now were gonna get some

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

It's over and now were gonna get some

Old 12-19-2012, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default It's over and now were gonna get some

After the second straight hunting season with none to a couple of days of snow were finally going to get some this friday night after out late MLing season ended on tuesday.
After last season being the warmest winter on record I prayed this hunting season that we'd get some snow, well we did have about 3 days with some snow but other than that the temps were above normal with no snow.
We sometimes have no snow for opening day wich falls on the second saturday of November but usually by Thanksgiving were into the snow, and by Late MLer Season we have so much snow in some places we cant even hunt there and temps so cold you pray for the sun to set so you can get back to your truck and warm up, that is if you can open the doors and use you hands to do it.
This season was the same as last season, pretty much snowless. Hunting was tough but Connie and I did manage to put 2 bucks and 2 does in the freezer, I passed on around 75 does and 25 bucks during the season waiting for the right ones to come by, the right buck never did.
I hunted this last tuesday wich was our last day of late mling season, I have had the flu for over a week but went out anyway I had to, I wish I had'nt.
I got almost to my stand when I saw 2 big does and a med sized doe crossing the trial about 30yds in front of me. Since it was the last day and it was 3:00 pm with only 1 hour and 45 minutes left in the season I decided to backtrack and go to a stand where I knew the deer were headed. I knew my odds were'nt good for taking a nice buck so I decided the 2 big does I saw would fit nicely on one of my last 2 does tags I had left.
I backtracked and snuck quickly to the other stand, as I got there I saw a white flash, it was a deers tail. I stopped by a tree and scoped it out. I finally made out the deer, was it one of the does I saw a few minutes ago......NO It's a GOOD BUCK! I started to shake, he was BIG, he had his noes to the ground and moving. He was about 125yds away, I cocked back the hammer and tried desperately to find a shooting lane, there was none. Should I yell and try and stop him.....should I just wait, times running out he's going....he's gone!
I could have got off 1 shot for a split second but I did'nt want to chance it because he was moving, should I have....No I convinced myself I did the right thing, I'll wait and see if he comes back by. I did'nt get in the stand but snuck into the woods further and found a big old oak tree near where I saw him and sat down.
All I could thing about was how big he was and how I waited all season for a buck like him and I had him but did'nt shoot, still convincing myself I did the right thing I looked into the woods like I never had befor, I looked for anything that could possibly be a deer and mabey him. I thought to myself should I just wait for him, I know he wont show but he could, should I take a doe if I see one, I only have 1 hour left of hunting season, if I take a doe I could possibly scare him away if he's near, what to do.........
Time was ticking away, no big buck, finally I saw movement. it's a deer, is it him???? no it's a doe, let her pass you still could get a shot at that buck. I tried so hard to see that buck somewhere but he never showed.
It was now 4:30pm and legal hunting time ends at 4:48, all I kept thinking to myself was I still have 13 minutes I could still see him, then it was 11 minutes and 9 and 8 then 5 and now 3, I saw movement again, another deer, is it him. I scoped out the deer and it was another big doe, I only had about 2 minutes left to the season and I had a legal tag for her and had a buddy who still needed another deer, should I shoot??? I can still get a chance at that big buck I saw I still have 2 minutes. I have never in my hunting career been so confused on what to do, I let her pass.
Convinced I should have taken one of the big does knowing that my odds of seeing that big buck again were nill to none I still could'nt do it knowing that mabey just mabey he'll show. I looked at my phone and it was now 4:48pm, then end of the season, just as I did that I saw movement...I scoped out what I saw and I saw antlers, just for a split second, as hard as I tried to see the deer again he was gone, was it him, I'll never know.
I looked at my phone again and it was 4:49, the season was over. I as I always do look around at the woods hoping GOD lets me visit them again next year and I thanked him for letting me be able to hunt another season with good health and thanked him for the deer connie and I harvested that will feed us throught the comming winter and summer. But I mostly thought of that Big Buck I saw not just him but of the does I saw too, they managed to avoide me and other hunters through archery and rifle and late mler season, they were special and smart and I had to hand it to them, and boy did I hunt them hard or so I thought.
I gathered up my things and walked back to my truck thinking of that buck, will he survive the winter, will he make it to next year and if so how big will he be then, will I be here. I walked back to my truck with my head held high knowing throughout the season I made the right decesions on what deer I took and the ones I passed on, I have no regrets execpt for the darn SNOW!!!!!! this is a pic of what our last few days of late mling seasons weather was like, it ended on Tuesday, and the others are pics of our weather of whats to come now that it's over. Now I have to decide on what to do with all the Hand and Body Warmers I bought for this hunting season, never once did I wear Mittens to keep my hands warm, all I wore was 1 light cotten glove on my left mler hand and none on my shooter hand, usually by now I have mittens on both hands with a hand and body warmer in each glove just so I can feel my fingers, not this season......mabey next.
How was all of your Weather this Hunting Season? Happy or Sad? And Im Jealous for all of you that get to hunt through the end of December and into january and even Febuary.
(BP)
Attached Thumbnails It's over and now were gonna get some-dsc01770.jpg   It's over and now were gonna get some-dsc01780.jpg   It's over and now were gonna get some-dsc01782.jpg  
Old 12-19-2012, 09:23 PM
Dominant Buck

You sound like too good a hunter to let the fact you had to pass on the buck to bother you. You had an exciting season. All you can do is wait until next year. And that buck will be bigger next year.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:39 AM
Typical Buck

I know the feeling. A couple seasons ago, I had a big buck cross the field I hunt and into the cow field that borders the property. I had it in my scope broadside, wide open at 80 yards and didn't shoot. I don't know that the farmer would mind, but I had never asked him so I didn't pull the trigger.

Last season I saw the biggest buck I have ever seen while hunting. He was as big as about anything I have seen posted here. He followed some does out at last light within 20 yards of my blind. I was sitting there with him in the scope of my Knight Revolution. But, in the county I hunted, you have to shoot a doe before shooting a 2nd buck and I had shot a buck but no doe. I was absolutely sick. I have never gotten a wall hanger and this guy was a once in a lifetime buck, at least for me.

But I, and you, did the right thing and we have the memory and story to tell.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good job BP. I probably wouldn't have taken the shot at the buck either....if I'm not real confident, I pass for a better opportunity. You had a good season...congrats man. I enjoyed all your reports
Old 12-20-2012, 06:02 AM
JW
Super Moderator

I passed on several really nice bucks due to not having a good clean ethical shot as I was taught. 48 yrs later I finally shot my first 10pt this year. While I think back to those nice bucks I saw in all those years as fond memories but I still won't take a shot that MAY knock them down - I take the shot that I know will be a good one.

Good job BP!
JW
Old 12-20-2012, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great post Breechplug!!! It sounds like you made all the right decisions. Congrats to you and Connie on a successful season.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:29 PM
Fork Horn

Sounds like a good season to me BP. From the sounds of it you have deer crawling all over just think how many of his genes will carry on where you hunt! Sounds like the next couple of season will be a blast! I know how you feel with the short seasons, thats why I supplement mine with some HOG hunting!

Niccum
Old 12-20-2012, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

sometimes it doesn't work out the way we want it to. you made the right choice bp. we have a three day after Christmas gun hunt coming up then its bow only until the end of February. linda and have our meat we need now just looking for a big buck or some tasty hogs.

Posted from Huntingnet.com App for Android
Old 12-20-2012, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thank's for the replys and comments Guy's, Im still seeing that buck as he's going through the woods thinking why he did'nt stop for a split second and give me the shot I wanted, but like some of you said that's how it goes and taking the right shot is what we do and if it does'nt happen the only right thing to do is let them pass.
I have a excellant record of my shots on deer, 99% have all been heart or lung shot as far back as I can remember and Im proud of my record. Now I just have to get myself movtivated and start putting my hunting stuff away befor Connie kills me it's hard to let it go. The winds are blowing at around 40mph+ outside, the blizzard is comming, hope all that are in it's path or have encountered it already are safe and warm. Now it's time to get ready for some real Lake Erie Lake Effect Snow and good old NY winter weather.
(BP)
Old 12-21-2012, 08:10 AM
Fork Horn

Know the feeling Breechplug, Spent the last 2 days of ml season looking for a nice buck I seen during bow season. Didnt seen anything of him. Yesterday went out to pick up ground blinds and take out a couple stands and replace trail cam batteries and cards. Wouldnt you know it. Kicked up the buck I had been looking for out from where my 1 ground blind was set up. Hoping to get a shot on next season if he makes thru winter. Will be a 4 yr old next year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.