Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

The Dragon Speaks

Old 12-17-2012, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats! I'm glad to see that the Swamp Dragon was able to feed . Nice story and pic.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by cayugad
Shot through the heart and still ran 100 yards. Wow them deer are tough. Did you get a complete pass through? I would guess you did. And how was the blood trail? That 300 grain XTP is the bullet I was looking at to do my hunting for me.

Did you leave the rifle loaded this entire time or did you empty and then load it? I was wondering because that would be quite the testament to craftsmanship if you left that loaded and it still fired off perfect, weeks later.
It's truly amazing Cayugad. The bullet took off the top half of his heart and shattered the knee joint of the off-side front leg as it exited. His innards were jelly.

There were three drops of blood about the size of a pencil eraser a few feed from where he was hit. A few more similar drops about ten feet farther on. That pattern continued for about twenty yards before I came to a hand size splotch of blood. Then it was nickle and quarter size drops every few yards until I found him.

The rifle had been loaded since November 12th., with a cap on the nipple and the cut off finger from a Nitrile glove (from Harbor Freight) over the muzzle.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
Have you been communicating with the Dragon Ron? That's what she says.
What??........................i thought he was a boy. Well..........i guess she is a girl if she told on me.........................no, just kidding, i still think he is a boy. Myself, i would be so very very proud, if i killed that buck with a rifle i made myself!
Old 12-17-2012, 02:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am so happy for you. I was feared that the Dragon may feed on you if it didn't eat soon. Glad you satisfied his blood lust.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:20 PM
Fork Horn

With an account like that, the wrong person might get the idea that guns themselves actually kill. Great story and it must feel good to use a gun you built yourself!
Old 12-18-2012, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the gun and deer. You ought to be a little proud after that one.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrat's Semi!
And as always, a nice story to go with it.
(BP)