Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Wet Powder (Pellets) from rain? >

Wet Powder (Pellets) from rain?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Wet Powder (Pellets) from rain?

Old 12-16-2012, 07:53 AM
Fork Horn

Default Wet Powder (Pellets) from rain?

Hunted last night and got soaked. I mean soaked to the skin, pouring cats and dogs. Hunted this morning and didn't shoot anything so I came home and unloaded the Omega. To my surprise my pellets looked like they had been wet. They weren't still wet but it was obvious that water had gotten into the barrel. Odd thing is, is that the barrels isn't rusty and looks perfectly clean.

I saved the pellets and was going to use them at a range session but I am still concerned. If I would have shot at a deer would the load have even been effective? Do I need to be more careful and cover the barrels when hunting in the rain?

Should I even try to shoot these pellets are just consider them ruined?
Old 12-16-2012, 08:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

I wouldn't use those pellets again.

Yes, you have to cover the muzzle when it's raining. Lots of different ways to do that. tape, saran wrap and rubber band, bore cots etc.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by OhioNovice
Hunted last night and got soaked. I mean soaked to the skin, pouring cats and dogs. Hunted this morning and didn't shoot anything so I came home and unloaded the Omega. To my surprise my pellets looked like they had been wet. They weren't still wet but it was obvious that water had gotten into the barrel. Odd thing is, is that the barrels isn't rusty and looks perfectly clean.

I saved the pellets and was going to use them at a range session but I am still concerned. If I would have shot at a deer would the load have even been effective? Do I need to be more careful and cover the barrels when hunting in the rain?

Should I even try to shoot these pellets are just consider them ruined?
If they are out do not use them for hunting - you might try them for a range session and if they are dry they will go boom....

During the hunting did you have a muzzle mitt or such over the end of the barrel? The sabot will not stop all the water from leaking by and into the powder...

People use all kinds of thing to cover the muzzle and you really need to do it in rotten or even really damp weather. I have used a lot of things but have settled on the Ultimate Bore Protection... It is a really strong muzzle mitt..

http://www.bighornproducts.com/ultim...protection.htm
Old 12-16-2012, 08:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

http://sport.birchwoodcasey.com/Acce...4-d0b7e8e0eaa8
Old 12-16-2012, 09:38 AM
Fork Horn

I use bright colored balloons to cover muzzles. Hard to miss once i,m on stand and noticeable should i encounter a shot on the way.(i remove it before shooting,bright color so i notice) An extra glove rests on top of action when on stand in rain or snow.

Last edited by monoped; 12-16-2012 at 06:10 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have never used anything over my bore. If hunting in the rain, I always make sure to keep my barrel in a position as to not get rain in it.

I've thought about a bore cover, but have always been worried about my POI changing.

SL, doesn't a setup like that change your POI? Or not enough to worry about?
Old 12-16-2012, 11:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
I have never used anything over my bore. If hunting in the rain, I always make sure to keep my barrel in a position as to not get rain in it.

I've thought about a bore cover, but have always been worried about my POI changing.

SL, doesn't a setup like that change your POI? Or not enough to worry about?
I have never worried about for ranges to 100 yards... but in the long range situation I would probably remove it - normally you would have time.

The deer I shot the other day at 60 showed no real shift of POI...

I went to the rain cover because I just can not trust myself to keep the muzzle down all the time when I am wiggling through brush and branches. To me it is just more positive...

Same for a cap in a percussion gun - I seal that also to prevent moisture...
Old 12-16-2012, 01:36 PM
Spike

I use a latex glove finger for barrel covers in rain and snow.
I am usually still hunting so most shots are less than 100 yards.
At that range I have not noticed more than an inch of difference in POI.
And free hand that is closer than I can shoot anyway.
Also I perfer that my gun goes off when I need it to as I have good luck when hunting in
a light rain and/ or snow.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:53 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I wouldn't use those pellets again.

Yes, you have to cover the muzzle when it's raining. Lots of different ways to do that. tape, saran wrap and rubber band, bore cots etc.
I agree 100%.

Originally Posted by monoped
I use bright colored balloons to cover muzzles. Hard to miss once i,m on stand and noticeable should i encounter a shot on the way. An extra glove rests on top of action when on stand in rain or snow.
I have used the colored balloons in the past with great results.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, somehow i missed that there is a good reason to use colored balloon on the muzzle to keep moisture from the powder. What i use when hunting in the rain is black balloon. Whenever i remember i also use black balloon when hunting during snow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.