HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Knight Ultralight Q's? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/376596-knight-ultralight-qs.html)

Rick James 12-16-2012 06:40 AM

Knight Ultralight Q's?

Anyone have one? I'd love to hear pros and cons. My main criteria for my next ML purchase is a gun that weighs less than 7lbs, and has a stainless barrel. While the Accura MR is nice, the weatherguard problems and just overall styling of the gun just don't do it for me. I'm hoping my next ML purchase is my last so I'm happy to spend a bit more $$$ to get exactly what I want for a lifetime purchase.

I've never been around a gun with Knights style of bolt/breech setup. How easy is it to take down in the field if you need?

If I were to be shooting BH209, what breech plug style would you want? You can order with a Full Plastic Jacket setup and the 209 bare primer setup. Not sure what I would want as I've read that some of Knights breech plugs aren't ideal for BH209.

sabotloader 12-16-2012 07:56 AM

[quote=Rick James;4016904]Anyone have one?{/quote]

PM Grouse on this site he has one and has hunted with it... Captured an Elk in Colorado, with it.

I'd love to hear pros and cons. My main criteria for my next ML purchase is a gun that weighs less than 7lbs, and has a stainless barrel.
It does meet both of those criteria and it is a real stainless barrel, In fact it is Green Mountain barreled action with a 1-28 twist. Shoots most everything including conicals very well.

While the Accura MR is nice, the weatherguard problems and just overall styling of the gun just don't do it for me. I'm hoping my next ML purchase is my last so I'm happy to spend a bit more $$$ to get exactly what I want for a lifetime purchase.
I am totally biased just so you know that up front... the U-Lite is and will be a lifetime gun. I have one coming but I will end up buying another one because next year they probably will have a 45 to go along with the 50 that is coming.

I've never been around a gun with Knights style of bolt/breech setup. How easy is it to take down in the field if you need?
Pull a quick release pin remove the bolt - insert wrench and screw out the BP, not nearly as convienient as a QR plug, but I have never had to take a Knight down in the field for any reason.

If I were to be shooting BH209, what breech plug style would you want? You can order with a Full Plastic Jacket setup and the 209 bare primer setup. Not sure what I would want as I've read that some of Knights breech plugs aren't ideal for BH209.
The new breech plugs from Knight are designed specifically for BH-209, even shooting W209 primers. I really would go with the NFPJ model... Primer drops in the nose of the bolt and is compressed a bit in the BP. The FPJ will work for hunting but is not near as clean as the NFPJ.

Just out of curiosity... you are not originally from Idaho by any chance?

Muley Hunter 12-16-2012 08:06 AM

Keep in mind a lighter gun will have more recoil. If that's not a concern the lighter weight is a joy to carry.

Especially, in these Colorado mountains.

Grouse45 12-16-2012 08:49 AM

The best ML knight has ever made. You will want the bare primer ignition.

Dutch 12-16-2012 09:21 AM

I love the UltraLite. I don't yet have one, but I will someday. :barmy:

I cannot imagine any scenario where you will not love it.

lemoyne 12-16-2012 02:42 PM

Consider a Triumph. You are carrying extra weight and wasted space with a bolt in a muzzle loader.

Muley Hunter 12-16-2012 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by lemoyne (Post 4017107)
Consider a Triumph. You are carrying extra weight and wasted space with a bolt in a muzzle loader.

Even with a bolt it's much lighter than a Triumph.

sabotloader 12-16-2012 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter (Post 4017110)
Even with a bolt it's much lighter than a Triumph.

Plus it is a much stronger gun than the Triumph and it comes in stainless... No QLA, it will shoot conicals, in fact there are a lot of + points when it is compared to a Triumph - and I own and like my Triumph...

quake 12-16-2012 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by sabotloader (Post 4017119)
Plus it is a much stronger gun than the Triumph and it comes in stainless... No QLA, it will shoot conicals, in fact there are a lot of + points when it is compared to a Triumph - and I own and like my Triumph...

+1. I agree completely. And I own a Triumph and like mine as well.