HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Tripe 7 Pellets Left In Barrel (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/376595-tripe-7-pellets-left-barrel.html)

BOWHUNTERCOP 12-16-2012 06:20 AM

Tripe 7 Pellets Left In Barrel

Went out yesterday, but didn't see anything, looks like I will not be out with the smokepole till late November 2013.

My question is: I have two pellets of of Triple 7 Magnum with a sabot in the gun if I left it in the gun till next year will it in time hurt the barrel or should I just take it out? I have orange tape over the muzzle and near the hammer to remind me of a hot load, of course I have no primer in the gun

WV Hunter 12-16-2012 06:32 AM

If loaded on a clean barrel, it don't think it won't hurt it. I often load mine at the start of the season and unless I shoot a deer with it, it stays loaded for several months with no issues. (on clean barrel only)

I can't say for 100% sure on Triple 7, because I use pyrodex. But I left one of my guns loaded one year (by accident) all the way until the following season and I had no issues. In fact, when I finally shot the gun the following season I killed a deer with that load and it fired perfectly.

That said, I wouldn't knowingly leave it like that though for the whole year, you should go ahead and unload and clean it. Always better safe than sorry. If you can't shoot it out, push it out.

flounder33 12-16-2012 06:59 AM

Take em out or shoot em out. Then clean and oil your rifle and remove all doubt. Them pellets will draw a lot of moisture to them before next season.

cayugad 12-16-2012 07:17 AM

To leave a rifle loaded for that length of time seems foolish. I would simply unload the rifle, clean it, and get it set for an extended storage.

bigboomer 12-16-2012 07:43 AM

Plus 1 on that. You didn't mention what gun it is, it's simple enough to remove the breech plug and push out the load then give it a good cleaning.

BOWHUNTERCOP 12-16-2012 08:11 AM

I will clean it, I will leave it as is I might get one more day out before Xmas

Muley Hunter 12-16-2012 08:12 AM

If you're using pellets. I'll assume it's an inline. It takes about 30 seconds to unload it.

Keeping a loaded gun in the house is never the safe way to do it.

lemoyne 12-16-2012 02:44 PM

777 attracts moisture leaving it for a whole year is inviting rust and other problems.

Catus Magnus 12-16-2012 02:48 PM

I left mine loaded after deer season a couple years ago... and then in summer took to range, ran dry patch down barrel, primed it, and it at put a round through the x-ring at fifty yards.

so much for a charge losing power/accuracy...

quake 12-16-2012 03:33 PM

Yeah clean it BowHunterCop...If your bore is clean you should be ok to hunt another week or so.

But, to leave it until next November? No way. I wouldn't do it.