HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   newbie (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/376444-newbie.html)

s4bill 12-12-2012 06:19 AM

I am looking to get started down the right path.

I have a muzzleloader conversion barrel for a mossberg and have shot a few rounds through it. When I bought it, i got all kinds of different advice on what to do. I never really got started.

I recently bought a TC Omega and I am looking to get started again and do it right.

I have read that the Barnes expander bullets are a good place to start.

I am looking for some good advice or an article that will tell you what to do and what not to do.

For example

Any tricks on loading?
What do you use to clean the barrel?
Do you need to prepare the barrel for first time use?
Bore butter - good or bad?
Do you clean between every shot and what do you do to clean it at the range or in the field?
I have primer and pellets from years ago. Do the new powders make a difference?

corey012778 12-12-2012 07:13 AM

Any tricks on loading? can't really help there, don't own an impact, but I am a fan of 85grs of any loose powder and a 250gr bullet
What do you use to clean the barrel? look below
Do you need to prepare the barrel for first time use? 100 to 200 strokes of jb bore paste
Bore butter - good or bad? good for a full bore conical and patch round ball lube, would not use it as bore coating.
Do you clean between every shot and what do you do to clean it at the range or in the field? I swab between shot at the range, one wet patch and one dry both sides on both, I don't do any cleaning in the field. if you camp when on your trip set up a muzzleloader cleaning and have it with you. just case you fire your gun.
I have primer and pellets from years ago. Do the new powders make a difference? I would go with loose powders you can customize your loads much better.

MY method for cleaning a muzzleloader. after I get shooting while still at the range, I spray some type of cleaning solution down the barrel, windex is great for that. 2 dry patches to clear the solution out then a rubbing alcohol patch then a dry patch . when I get home, I break the gun down placing the breech plug in a cleaning solution (pyrodex or t7 powders) let it soak until I am done cleaning the rest. a bore brush, spray down of a cleaning solution, dry patch. patch soak in either windex, blue wolf, or 3 rivers cleaning and patch lube. dry patch, rubbing alcohol patch, dry patch, remoil patch down the barrel. put everything back together.

now writing it down, my way seem a little over kill lol

WV Hunter 12-12-2012 07:22 AM

Welcome! Lots of questions there. Pop into the black powder reference section and do some homework.

There are alot of options for you, and honestly you can get alot of different opinions - and all good. You might want to try something simple such as 2 pyrodex pellets and some 240gr-250gr (saboted) bullets (XTP, Speer, etc). Most guns will shoot this type setup pretty well. Or you can go to the newest powders and bullets - but its certainly not neccessary. I personally prefer loose powder over pellets.

Typically in hunting situations even with the most corrosive powders you won't need to swab between shots. For range work most like to swab to keep consistent. Full cleaning..again, alot of methods. Read the reference.

Muley Hunter 12-12-2012 07:26 AM

The Omega is a good gun. It's also BH 209 friendly, and should shoot it good with no mods. The bullet you picked is a good one, and should shoot good in your gun.

So, I would suggest you use BH 209 in 90-110 loads. See which load is the most accurate.

Make sure the bore and breech plug is clean and dry of any oil. Swabbing with alcohol before shooting will get rid of any oil. BH 209 requires no swabbing at all while shooting. Even if you shoot 75 shots, or more.

After shooting clean the barrel the same as you would a CF gun. Use your favorite solvent.

The flash channel should be cleaned with an 1/8" drill. Just hold it by hand, and twist it in until all the carbon is gone. The flash channel is the channel under the primer pocket. Clean the rest of the breech plug with the same solvent you use on the bore.

Use a hot primer like the CCI 209M.

Have fun.

MD DEERHUNTER 12-12-2012 08:15 AM

I own a Thompson Center Encore and I shoot the Barnes .250 Gr with 100 Gr of Blackhorn 209. I love them, nice tight groups at 100 yards. But every gun is different, do some expermenting and find out what works best with your gun.

ronlaughlin 12-12-2012 03:08 PM

Starting new with an Omega, myself, knowing what i know, would use W209 primer, because they are the longest primer. The sabot of choice would be the crush rib, because the Omega have tight barrel. Bullet of choice would be the XTP for sight in. These bullet fly accurately, and are inexpensive compared the the Barnes. After you have shots through your rifle, and are some sighted in, then is the time to try the Barnes if that is your desire. Actually, the XTP works great killing deer. Another inexpensive option is the Deep Curl. After shooting many shots, one can always go with the Barnes, if one feels the need; they are good bullet, but so are the XTP, and the Deep Curl at 1/3 the cost. The main thing is to have fun!

lemoyne 12-12-2012 03:13 PM

I own an Omega and shoot it along with my Triumph and Endeavor there are a few things I can recommend. The Shock Wave bullets are a stand by for accuracy, all TC inlines do very well with Blackhorn powder and normally are machined so that the Win 209 for reloading is the best fit.
Get some Hoppes Elite cleaner [not the copper remover] and patches along with a range rod and an extra jag to put on your ramrod for hunting.
Clean the gun before you load it get all the oil out and the do not swab or clean any more until you are finished shooting this powder is most accurate that way.
You want to use a sabot that is tight enough to have to use both hands to push down the barrel but not so tight you want to pound on it.
Try the Short Black Harvester if that is to tight try the Crush Rib.
Normally 100 or 110 grains will group well but after you get the gun broke in you may want to go up or down 5 grains at a time. This gun with the right load and an excellent shoot should be capable of 1 inch groups at 100 yds.
Personally I use the Bonded Shock Wave for hunting and have excellent results if you chose to use some of those over priced bullets that's up to you I have tried most of them and they do not kill deer or boar a bit deader than the bonded Shock Waves which shoot exactly the same POI in my guns as the cheaper Shock Waves the FTX also is much lower price and in the 250 grain weight they all shoot the same POI.
I recommend you get square away with the Shock Waves get them shooting tight groups then compare what ever else you wish for accuracy and if you should decide to use Shock Waves to hunt do use the bonded ones the hold together for deeper penetration if you get a long angle shot. If you need help with the sabots e-mail me.

Josmund 12-12-2012 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin (Post 4015547)
Starting new with an Omega, myself, knowing what i know, would use W209 primer, because they are the longest primer. The sabot of choice would be the crush rib, because the Omega have tight barrel. Bullet of choice would be the XTP for sight in. These bullet fly accurately, and are inexpensive compared the the Barnes. After you have shots through your rifle, and are some sighted in, then is the time to try the Barnes if that is your desire. Actually, the XTP works great killing deer. Another inexpensive option is the Deep Curl. After shooting many shots, one can always go with the Barnes, if one feels the need; they are good bullet, but so are the XTP, and the Deep Curl at 1/3 the cost. The main thing is to have fun!

What he said. Solid advise all the way around.

David28078 12-13-2012 10:04 AM

Hi All,

New member, first post here. Great to read everyone's thoughts, stories, and enjoyment of the sport.

The majority of my Muzzleloader experience is with the TC Omega. My first was composite/blued and had a very tight bore and I saw the best results with a .452 bullet and a Harvester Crush Rib Black Sabot.

My current omega is a Thumbhole/stainless and has a much larger bore size. A .452 XTP inside a black crush rib sabot loads with very little pressure. Still groups at 100, but I will be testing the Harvester smooth black sabot as well as the Red crush rib in the next couple weeks to see if that increases accuracy. My powder of choice is 100 gr. Blackhorn 209 ignited by a Federal 209A primer.

For cleaning, I fill a shot glass with hoppes #9 and drop my breech plug in it, then run a couple wet patches down the bore. Sit and enjoy a beverage for 10 minutes while the solvent goes to work (do not confuse shot glass of hoppes with drinking beverage), a patch with some oil or CLP followed by a dry patch and she's spotless. Turning a drill bit by hand or a stiff wire brush in the flash hole works well, the front side of the breech plug easily wipes clean after soaking.

Just as an aside, I used to shot W209 primers with no ignition problems, but I would often have a primer get stuck in the breech plug, not sure why. Doesn't happen with the Federals.

Gm54-120 12-13-2012 10:26 AM

David28078

The Harvester Red Crushribs are VERY tight in most bores. Get samples from Harvester first.