HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Our Muzzleloader season opens on Saturday (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/376399-our-muzzleloader-season-opens-saturday.html)

onetohunt 12-11-2012 07:40 AM

Our Muzzleloader season opens on Saturday

Our Muzzy season is finally going to be here on Saturday. If it is anything like our regular rifle season it will be a long 11 days. This past rifle season which was in November was the worst I have ever seen here in Missouri. The drought and blue tongue took its tow on the herd and it really has me concerned about next year. Oh well, it is what it is!! The Mountaineer is ready for the the first mature buck or doe to walk out and let the fun begin!!

Semisane 12-11-2012 07:45 AM

Good luck onetohunt. You have the right mindset for the conditions. Take the first one you see. I wish I had.

bronko22000 12-11-2012 07:55 AM

good luck to you. Hope you fair well in your hunts.

Breechplug 12-11-2012 09:29 AM

Best of Luck to you onetohunt! Shoot em when you see em and dont forget the Pics and story.
(BP)

Scoobiedoo6559 12-11-2012 09:48 AM

Best of luck! Ours here in NY opened yesterday on 12/10 and runs thru 12/18. Pouring rain on and off all day yesterday prevented me from getting out - but I will def be out giving it a good effort. This ahs been THE worst year hunting here that I have seen in 35 yrs! Not sure if it's due to coyotes - which seem to be everywhere here or what.

Gm54-120 12-11-2012 10:05 AM

IIRC MDC claimed a 10% harvest increase (over the last 10 years) on urban hunts and i saw a 8% increase listed but now the AP link is dead on the MissouriwhiteTails forum.

We stopped by a meat processor near Crawford/Franklin counties. His freezers were packed and most were smaller bucks. Very few does and very few bucks scoring over 125.

Ive seen better years for sure.

BTW Now its called the "alternative method" season. Now they allow CF pistols too and the traditionalists are bent. :D

onetohunt 12-11-2012 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Gm54-120 (Post 4015000)
IIRC MDC claimed a 10% harvest increase (over the last 10 years) on urban hunts and i saw a 8% increase listed but now the AP link is dead on the MissouriwhiteTails forum.

We stopped by a meat processor near Crawford/Franklin counties. His freezers were packed and most were smaller bucks. Very few does and very few bucks scoring over 125.

Ive seen better years for sure.

BTW Now its called the "alternative method" season. Now they allow CF pistols too and the traditionalists are bent. :D

Yeah I seen those totals also GM, but I wonder about them. They said at one time that they thought that we lost about 20,000 deer to blue tongue, makes me wonder?? I know that the lower half of the state had a better deer kill than the northern, and it was mostly does from what the conservation agent told me. This alternative weapons replacing muzzleloading is different as well. Missouri still has to many gun seasons as it is, we need to get back to the way it used to be, one gun season and it would be moved back to the week of Thanksgiving and one buck during bow season and it would make our herd a little bit better than it is. I'm just afraid we will really pay for the blue tongue the next two years. Good luck to you this weekend GM, shoot a good one!

Gm54-120 12-12-2012 06:28 AM

Good Luck to you also

I didn't see a single doe on opening weekend (rifle season) which was odd. I saw plenty of buttons, spikes and some mature bucks with smaller racks. Some did have good sized bodies but the racks seemed small to me. Im a meat hunter so racks mean nothing. Im much happier with a fat doe or two in the freezer.

This weekend i will be giving a half hearted attempt at a doe. Ive already got a good amount of meat but if i see a big doe, i think i can make some more room. Im going out mostly just to help a friend fill a tag with a ML and to relax.

MD DEERHUNTER 12-12-2012 09:05 AM

Our muzzleloader season opens Saturday here in Southern Maryland. Hopefully, I'll have better luck than what I had during shotgun season. I saw one doe and that was it. Sooner or later things will turn around.

Gm54-120 12-17-2012 09:05 AM

Came home empty handed by choice. My buddy saw a nice buck but it was a bit further than he felt comfortable shooting. I had a nice doe in my scope for several minutes on Sunday night just before it got dark.

I could see two more near her but they looked really small. I let them all eat in peace and just watched. I didn't feel like taking a chance on tracking that close to sunset and leaving a yearling to fend for itself. I shot a "mommy" one year and never felt good about it.

Ive already have meat in the freezer and i really did not have a NEED to fill a cheap $7 tag. Another friend got a monster buck with his bow but he doesn't care for venison except summer sausage so ive got a bunch more on its way.