Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Our Muzzleloader season opens on Saturday >

Our Muzzleloader season opens on Saturday

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Our Muzzleloader season opens on Saturday

Old 12-17-2012, 09:13 AM
Fork Horn

good for you I commend you . I could have taken a shot during bow season for a doe with a 1 year old and chose not too. I also would not feel good about leaving a 1 year old fawn on without a mother even if the fawn may be adopted by another doe in the family unit .
Old 12-17-2012, 09:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

I applaud your decision GM54-120, given that your meat needs are met.

But you should never feel bad about taking a doe accompanied by young so long as the fawns are beyond the spot stage. Many detailed studies have confirmed that the survival and growth rates of fawns whose mother is killed is no different than that of those whose mother is not killed. They do just fine. And there's the added advantage that a button buck whose mother is killed will remain in the area beyond his first year rather than dispersing a few miles away as would otherwise be the case.

Actually, excepting that the meat yield is less and depending on the carrying capacity of the land, it's not a bad idea to take those six month old doe fawns rather than their mother. The adult deer will likely have twins the following spring. When she is shot there will be three fewer deer in the woods. That's good if the herd is at carrying capacity. But taking the fawn sometimes makes more sense.

Last edited by Semisane; 12-17-2012 at 09:50 AM.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Semisane

We always try to harvest what we feel is abundant each year. This year we saw very few doe prior to the season and almost no "family units" of does with juveniles. The year i took the doe and a button, we saw many "groups".

I would have been very tempted if i had 2 tags and needed meat but in this case i felt heard management was better served by letting them go. I could have taken the bigger doe easily but it was cool to watch her though the scope and know she was mine if i wanted her.

The NULA laid down the hammer of Thor earlier with the Parker BE further than ive ever shot a deer with a ML. My desire to test out that load had been satisfied during the rifle season, so i really didn't have any other reason to take another.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

Good man...
Old 12-17-2012, 11:39 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
I applaud your decision GM54-120, given that your meat needs are met.

But you should never feel bad about taking a doe accompanied by young so long as the fawns are beyond the spot stage. Many detailed studies have confirmed that the survival and growth rates of fawns whose mother is killed is no different than that of those whose mother is not killed. They do just fine. And there's the added advantage that a button buck whose mother is killed will remain in the area beyond his first year rather than dispersing a few miles away as would otherwise be the case.

Actually, excepting that the meat yield is less and depending on the carrying capacity of the land, it's not a bad idea to take those six month old doe fawns rather than their mother. The adult deer will likely have twins the following spring. When she is shot there will be three fewer deer in the woods. That's good if the herd is at carrying capacity. But taking the fawn sometimes makes more sense.
I agree Semi. For the most part most of these young deer are going to be on their own anyway by year end. They will still group up but no longer really need the help of the momma doe, just mainly for companionship.

I did not kill my buck this weekend but did shoot a good mature doe. I shot her with my Knight Mountaineer and a TMZ 290 grain bullet in front of 115 grains of BH 209. I did not get much of a blood trail for about 10-15 yards but the last 25 yards a blind man could have followed. The bullet went in just behind the front should and came out just behind the 2 rib on the opposite side. She was slightly quartering to me. It was about the size of a silver dollar on the entry and the exit. It was unreal.