HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   It'll be over soon. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/376330-itll-over-soon.html)

Breechplug 12-09-2012 08:05 PM

It'll be over soon.

It seems like yesterday that Bow Season opended, then came rifle season and that ended today and came and went just as fast. I guess the older we get time seems to fly by. When I was younger bow season seemed to last forever and so did shotgun season, but now they fly by.
Our Late MLer Season starts tomorrow, between the wife and I we have 4 deer in the freezer, 2 bucks and 2 does, we dont need anymore meat. I have all the burger, chops, tenderloins, roast, stew meat, pepper sticks, hot dogs and sausgae 2 people could ever ask for, we had a good season and were Thankful.
I hate the end when it's comming, I still have a Big Buck in my dreams but if he does'nt show in our 9 days of late MLer season I'll still be OK with that, it's just I dread the end of it all. I still have a Buck Tag, a Doe Tag and another Doe Tag thats good for any DMU I hunt. There's one Family I will try and get a Doe for, they can really use the meat. But I still need to hold a nice set of antlers, I always set my goals too high and in most seasons gone by I end up passing on a-lot of good bucks that I wish I'd see during the rest of the season and never do.
Im going to hunt as hard as I can in the next 9 days, because after that it's over, and it's a long wait untill next season. My biggest bummer is last hunting season we were Snowless, and so were we for this hunting season execpt for 3-4 days, unheard of for us in the North, this is really depressing for me and deer movement. As I write this it's raining out again as all it seems to do lately. And the only chance of snow we'll have in Monday night into Tuesday and then for the rest of late MLer season temps just in the high 30's to low 40's for the day time temps, again not late MLer season weather.
I know it seems like I've already given up and thrown in the Towel and am getting ready for the after the season blues to set in. Im 99% Deer Hunter and 1% Shooter, I love to hunt deer way more than I love to shoot my Mler.
I guess my biggest reason to feel depressed already is because I did'nt get that Big One this season, I know it can still happen but I know the end is near and fast approaching and all my hopes are outweighed by the weather and by the Odds.
Do any of you get the feeling of after deer season blues setting in when it's all over? and what is your definition of a Good Hunting Season?
(BP)

Nimrodder 12-10-2012 02:31 AM

Just being able to hunt is a good season for me. I missed the fall hunting season this year.

falcon 12-10-2012 03:59 AM

Except for archery season that is open until 15 January and the holiday doe season its all over in OK.

Had a lot of fun, got a lot of good exercise and saw a lot of deer. Passed on numerous deer including two good bucks. Passed on one of the bucks because i could not see the front bead on my New Englander. Passed on another buck because it would have been a very long drag through an area that had a bad ice storm in January 2010. Theres about 3,000 acres of downed trees and tree limbs.

Took one fat doe the day after Thanksgiving. May try for another one during the Christmas-New Year holidays. May get out the crossbow and try for a buck.

Breechplug, here is a technique that has worked well for me and my friends who hunt my scrapes. Find a woodline that borders a field. Usually the woodline is the border of a dominant bucks territory. Find active scrapes or make fake scrapes. Douse them with doe in heat pee and buck pee; then a small container with a 1/8" hole in the bottom is filled with cotton balls and buck/doe pee mixed is poured in. This is hung over the scrape about 6' off the ground: It drips a few drops per day and keeps the scrape fresh. That often gets the bucks attention, many times they start checking the scrapes in the daytime.

Breechplug; i hope you get that big buck.

gregrn43 12-10-2012 05:03 AM

We have a 3 day ml season that opens this sat morning. I am off work and going to the cabin for the weekend. Then we have a 3 day Christmas hunt starting the day after Christmas. From that point it is bow hunting only till feb 28th, then its a wait till next year. I agree BP this season has flown by, I cant remember one going by so quick before.

cayugad 12-10-2012 05:12 AM

I used to just dread the end of deer hunting but the older I get the less it bothers me. I guess I am liking the warm fire and hot coffee more than a cold wind and freezing temperatures. We got beautiful snow yesterday. It is still snowing. So you have that to help if you want to walk track. Good luck.

Breechplug 12-10-2012 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by falcon (Post 4014401)
Except for archery season that is open until 15 January and the holiday doe season its all over in OK.

Had a lot of fun, got a lot of good exercise and saw a lot of deer. Passed on numerous deer including two good bucks. Passed on one of the bucks because i could not see the front bead on my New Englander. Passed on another buck because it would have been a very long drag through an area that had a bad ice storm in January 2010. Theres about 3,000 acres of downed trees and tree limbs.

Took one fat doe the day after Thanksgiving. May try for another one during the Christmas-New Year holidays. May get out the crossbow and try for a buck.

Breechplug, here is a technique that has worked well for me and my friends who hunt my scrapes. Find a woodline that borders a field. Usually the woodline is the border of a dominant bucks territory. Find active scrapes or make fake scrapes. Douse them with doe in heat pee and buck pee; then a small container with a 1/8" hole in the bottom is filled with cotton balls and buck/doe pee mixed is poured in. This is hung over the scrape about 6' off the ground: It drips a few drops per day and keeps the scrape fresh. That often gets the bucks attention, many times they start checking the scrapes in the daytime.

Breechplug; i hope you get that big buck.

That's what Im hoping for falcon. Our late MLer season started this morning and here I sit watching the pouring wind pounded rain hit my windows in my kitchen while Im sitting here drinking coffee, not what I exactly had planned for the opener. They say this will all change over to snow for tonight and that's all I can hope for right now, and mabey with this front moving in the deer will move.
Funny you should mention Scrapes, with the comming of our late mler season also starts our Second Rut. Even though the buck and doe population is now down there's still some big ol boys that will be looking for some love and with not so many does available there's the chance to catch one on the prowl.
Now again funny you should mention buck and doe in heat pee, since the ending of our bow and the beginning of our rifle season is when our first rut is on. I have all my buddys Save me the Pee from the Does that the bucks were following that were in heat, and all the pee from the bucks that were taken, so I have pleanty of fresh buack and doe in heat urine.
It's not that I cant find bucks, it's just that I've had the worst luck picking the stands in wich to sit in the year. All the stands we build are made out of pressure treated wood, there all our stands and we just chose wich one were going to hunt out of that day and go there. Some nice bucks were taken out of stands that I almost went to on that day or I was just a couple of hundred yards away from one of my friends in a stand where he shot a good one, just bad luck on my part. Plus I must have seen over 100 does and 30+ bucks while hunting our rifle season, so Im not complaining about that, just the lack of not seeing the one I wanted.
Thank's for the Wish and I'll give it heck.
(BP)

TNHagies 12-10-2012 05:19 AM

Pretty much over for me as well. I will hunt the 4 days after Christmas Lord willing. Work has been really crazy this year and the additon of our first child has meant I haven't had much free time to get out. When I did, it was a ton of fun. I've seen a bunch of bucks this year but all but one was 2 1/2 or younger.

Breechplug 12-10-2012 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by cayugad (Post 4014434)
I used to just dread the end of deer hunting but the older I get the less it bothers me. I guess I am liking the warm fire and hot coffee more than a cold wind and freezing temperatures. We got beautiful snow yesterday. It is still snowing. So you have that to help if you want to walk track. Good luck.

Dave it's windy and raining as I write this, tonight it's suppos-to change to snow with 2" expected, so hopefully what your getting now is whats comming our way tonight.
Not once did I pray from sundown this season, usually Im praying for it to get dark so I can get to my warm truck and head home because it's 0 degrees out and lots of snow, now I want that weather, funny how it works sometimes.
(BP)

gman57 12-10-2012 07:24 AM

I dont think I have ever hunted so little as I did this year combination of cleaning up after storm and taking grandson to tutoring everyday put a crimp in my bow season, I did manage to get in a few weekends for rifle up in Greene Cty (only to find out I still suffer from CRS (forgot I didnt resight in rifle after scope change) and cost me a buck. Family issues will keep me from getting up to Greene till the last 2 days with my MLs. But thankfully we have a special shotgun/muzzle season down here on the Island and I have weekdays in January hopefully to get the job done.....and I can still bowhunt till end of Dec here also,after writing this down Im feeling a lot better now let the rain stop.