Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Sabots, Blinds and Shoot-thru windows >

Sabots, Blinds and Shoot-thru windows

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Sabots, Blinds and Shoot-thru windows

Old 11-28-2012, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Why not do what I do, I build the blinds for Connie and I out of all the stuff I find in the woods. Of course I build them near a good trail and I start by looking for a big downed tree to start the build. If no downed tree is close enough to the deer trail I'll find a couple or a few big trees close togeather. Then I find smaller dead limbs and trees and start building it. If Im in a cedar or pine area I cut pine or cedar branches and cut a point on the end of them and push them into the ground so there good and solid. I also use zip ties and twine to secure things togeather. Once it's all togeather I'll take my pruning shears and cut things that are in the way and make a couple of shooting windows, I like to have at least 3 in front of me and 2 in the back.
Your not protected from the elements but the blind sure blends right in to the surroundings. Once finished they last for years, each fall all I have to do is freshen them up with a couple more cedar or pine branches and a few more logs or sticks and Im good. Plus the longer there there the more deer get used to them, but so far I have'nt had a deer even spot me or notice somethings just not right, unless of course it spots me moving or winds me.
And if your on public land and cant cut anything down Im sure you can still find enough laying in the woods to make one, and the best part about this is there FREE, just a little of your time is all that's needed, and nobody can Steal it either.
(BP)
Old 11-28-2012, 11:07 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO
Question about blinds in general, then. Do you pretty much need to set them up in advance for the deer to get used to them, or can you set them up as you hunt? I only hunt public land, so leaving them up is not an option. It would never be a field edge, it would be in the woods.
I have shot deer or passed up shots after setting it up the same day. I prefer to set it up and leave it but I am not afraid of hunting them the same day.