Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
new to ML question re: TC Firehawk >

new to ML question re: TC Firehawk

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

new to ML question re: TC Firehawk

Old 11-23-2012, 05:00 PM
Spike

Default new to ML question re: TC Firehawk

I recently came into a TC Firehawk .50. Seems like a nice ML, my first. Im looking for advice on what others shoot for loads-pellets/powder and bullets conicals / sabot. looking fwd to reading up on this forum looks like a great source of info.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:21 PM
Dominant Buck

Does your Firehawk have the 209 conversion kit, or is it a #11 caps system? If it is a cap system then NO PELLETS. Loose powder only. I would suggest getting a pound of Pyrodex RS. Start with some 240 grain XTP Hornady hollow points. If the bore is like my Black Diamond XR which is what the Firehawk turned into... they can be tight. So I would suggest some Harvester Crushed Rib sabots. Just start your testing with 80 grains of loose Pyrodex RS and a 240 grain XTP. See how that works for you.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:58 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by cayugad
Does your Firehawk have the 209 conversion kit, or is it a #11 caps system? If it is a cap system then NO PELLETS. Loose powder only. I would suggest getting a pound of Pyrodex RS. Start with some 240 grain XTP Hornady hollow points. If the bore is like my Black Diamond XR which is what the Firehawk turned into... they can be tight. So I would suggest some Harvester Crushed Rib sabots. Just start your testing with 80 grains of loose Pyrodex RS and a 240 grain XTP. See how that works for you.
thanksfor the quick reply I really appreciate it. I know us FNGs are a pain for you more experienced posters. right now its #11 but i plan on replacing it this winter. prob wont get to the range until post conversion. any tips for that? from what Ive seen the pellet are all 50 gr increments. I suppose thats a downfall to the pellets harder to fine tune the shot.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:30 PM
Fork Horn

You could also change your #11 nipple for a musket cap nipple. That is what I did to my Firehawk, years ago, and have no problems using substitute powders. It is an easy swap, and much less expensive than a 209 conversion.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:05 PM
Typical Buck

my buddy's got one with the 209 he's shooting 80 grains loose rs pyrodex and shockwaves,if i think right you can only use 2 pellets (100 grains) thats what my friend told me anyway...you may want to check that for safty reasons
Old 11-25-2012, 06:35 AM
Dominant Buck

Before you get all crazy and start spending money to change the rifle, give the #11 caps a chance. As long as you shoot loose powder, that #11 cap will work fine. In fact, you will probably get a reduction in crud rings if you shoot Triple Seven powder.

I have numerous inline rifles and they are #11 caps systems. My Black Diamond XR which is basically the next generation of yours, has the 209 system as well as the #11. I use the #11 system. I never had a misfire, I get a reduction in blow back, I've never had to dig a 209 primer out of a breech plug, and overall I get just as good, or better accuracy with the #11 system. The only difference is I can not shoot pellets. And who wants to shoot pellets? Loose powder is cheaper and just as easy to use.

Give your rifle a try the way it was designed. I think with 80-90 grains of powder and say a 240 - 300 grain XTP in a good sabot, it will surprise you.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

The only good reason for going to 209 primers is switching to Blackhorn and you should NOT do that with that rifle. I like musket caps, the #11 will work just fine with all the proper powders but I like that bit of extra for hunting.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:40 PM
Spike

Thanks for all the advice I'm going to give the #11s a try at the local range can you use the musket caps without changing anything
Old 11-27-2012, 07:06 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by hooflander
Thanks for all the advice I'm going to give the #11s a try at the local range can you use the musket caps without changing anything
You have to change out the #11 nipple for a musket cap nipple. But before you do that, let them #11 caps have a shot. I think you are going to like them.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:38 PM
Spike

will do thanks!