Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
New Guy Question: Thompson Encore Build vs. Complete Purchase >

New Guy Question: Thompson Encore Build vs. Complete Purchase

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New Guy Question: Thompson Encore Build vs. Complete Purchase

Old 11-22-2012, 06:48 AM
Spike

Default New Guy Question: Thompson Encore Build vs. Complete Purchase

Hi All!

I'm very new to this forum (literally new), but found the site while I was searching for some info about Thompson Center rifles. I'm looking into purchasing two, one for me and one for my buddy (his 40th bday is in December).

I have been mainly a bowhunter up until this point, and although I have owned a shotgun in the past, fired several rifles and handguns, I have never though about building a rifle. I don't even know where to begin, so I thought I would post something here to gather some of your thoughts.

My original thought was to purchase the Pro Hunter XT model (40 only happens once, right. Figure I might as well go for the gold), however I have seen some people mention that putting one together would cost a bit less.

If I were going to build, what would I need to buy exactly (parts/pieces)? Are the savings substantial enough to justify building over purchasing one outright?

I am extremely mechanically inclined, so I am not worried about the actual process, just that my knowledge about the subject is extremely insufficient and I haven't been able to find any real information about it.

Any help/info/advice you have would be great.

Thanks in advance. Hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Warm Regards,
Joshua
Old 11-22-2012, 07:06 AM
Typical Buck

Joshua , most people build sidelock guns. thats not to say you can't build a inline(like the pro hunter) but theres tons of parts on e-bay for sidelocks like the renagade/hawkens/new englander, you can build a gun and do it how you like...your probly better buying a gun you like and then do what you want ...than buying the parts and putting them all together it would cost more.....but most kit guns are old style guns with sidelocks and flintlocks....you might want to think what your into first inlines or sidelocks and go from there...ed
Old 11-22-2012, 07:16 AM
Typical Buck

my 2 cents is you won't save any money building one, your better buying a used gun at a good price, some of the guys here shoot a gun for a couple years and sell them to get something different.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:24 AM
Dominant Buck

If it were an Encore, or Pro Hunter, I would simply purchase it. If you want it custom, such as different hinge pins, and breech plugs, all that can be done down the road. There really is not a build involved when you talk the modern inlines unless you actually take chunks of metal some some people and fabricate the parts out of your shop. It is more of a purchase parts and then put the rifle together. Either way they price might be cheaper, but when you get parts, you have no idea what you are really getting. Purchase the rifle, and you have the T/C warranty.

Good luck.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Frames can be found for a good price.
http://www.eabco.com/encore2.html

Several companies make nice aftermarket barrels for Encores including SMI/Douglas, Pacnor, MGM and Bergara. The 45/70 barrels make awesome 45cal muzzleloader barrels with the addition of a Savage breach plug and new muzzle crown. You can even build or convert them to handle smokeless powder.

http://www.smokelessmuzzleloading.com/products.html

Slufoot on Doug's message board and SMI convert the 45/70 barrels for around $150 or less. IMO if you want a custom, it might as well be rated for smokeless pressures. You can still use subs including BH209.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 11-22-2012 at 09:38 AM.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:16 AM
Fork Horn

JoshuaD my thoughts on building a new M.L. I would rather take the money a kit would cost and give it to somebody to beat the crap out of me!!! But thats just me.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:59 AM
Typical Buck

I am a T/C guy.. I own 2 Encores. If I were to purchase one today it would be the FX. No ffl needed ...cheaper and from what I hear the hinge pin thing isnt a problem. But on the other side I still believe out of the box my Truimphs are a better gun for the money. Good luck on your purchase
Old 11-22-2012, 11:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

PH or Encore frame with stocks at Buds= $332-$442
SMI Douglas Premium smokeless barrel in 50 or 45=$475
Bergara BP only Barrel $180-220ish

Encore SS in a complete BP ONLY 50cal rifle from Buds=$783-$836

Seems to me its very possible to save money or get a better overall package for a similar price. I wouldn't call it a kit unless you consider all PHs and Encores kits since its a switch barrel platform. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to swap out barrels/stocks or add common upgrades.

I think the term custom is more accurate and custom complete builds from DSS are $2500 for the T/Cs. Now the savings is huge in comparison but performance is very similar.
http://www.dsscustomguns.com/custom_...leloaders.aspx
Old 11-22-2012, 03:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/77473
Take a look at this one if money is a concern. I do not believe that building one is a practical solution economically unless you wish something out of the norm and are willing to pay quite a bit extra for it. The one above is a good price, for myself I paid the price to have a all stainless. If you don't intend to get other barrels for it I recommend you look at the two main versions of the Triumph it is a dedicated muzzle loader and dose not have the problems and tolerances needed for a switch barrel gun.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:55 AM
Fork Horn

JoshuaD,
As I recall not all T/C Encores/ProHunters have interchangeable barrels. I do believe if you were to buy the FX you would be stuck with a muzzleloader barrel and not be able to use other barrels.

There is another site on the web that specializes in all that is Thompson Center. Check it out! I'm certain those folks can provide better information than me.

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/board,33.0.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.