Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
One For Ruger Old Army Owners >

One For Ruger Old Army Owners

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

One For Ruger Old Army Owners

Old 11-20-2012, 12:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default One For Ruger Old Army Owners

Here's a link to a well done six-part video series with accuracy, velocity, and penetration tests using GOEX and Triple Seven with three different bullets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WNYG...feature=relmfu
Old 11-20-2012, 01:23 PM
Dominant Buck

Very interesting information. That is why I believe, at close ranges that a black powder revolver is a hunting revolver. Not legal in Wisconsin muzzleloader season because it can hold more then one shot.. but still I feel it able to take game. I was especially impressed with the velocity he was getting with that roundball and the five jug penetration.

I shoot a Pietta 1858 model Remington New Army with a 7-1/2 inch barrel. I normally shoot 25 grains of Jim Shockey Gold 3f powder but have on occasion pushed 30 grains of 3f Triple Seven powder. Still not up to the standards of the Ruger mind you.. but a very accurate and powerful revolver. I cheat and have the target model with the fully adjustable sights.. and anyone that don't think that makes a difference.. just shoot one of the old style and then shoot one with the target sights.. Its like night and day.

Free hand I suffer a little because I no longer practice like I used to and shoulders are not what they once were. But in my hay day, I was very good .. free style, with a revolver or pistol. My favorite revolver was a .357 magnum Smith & Wesson model 28 Hwy Patrolman. Which to those that know revolvers, was an N frame S&W. My Pietta could be made even better with larger grips, but it would detract from the history of the revolver. The Ruger Old Army revolver is IMO one of the best black powder revolvers out there. They are just built like tanks.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

I don't have any black powder revolvers. But my brother-in-law has a Ruger OA that I've shot a few times. It's one sweet gun.

I agree Cayugad, and was also impressed with the round ball results. Penetration through five gallon jugs of water. What deer could survive that with a well placed shot?
Old 11-20-2012, 02:36 PM
Dominant Buck

Mine was shooting through two inches of dried spruce plank with only 25 grains of powder. Like you, I can not see a well placed shot not being deer deadly.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:26 PM
Typical Buck

I run 38 Gr. of triple 7 in my blued old army 7 1/2" barrel The gun shoots outstanding with RB and a Wad, at 50 yards benched it will keep all shots about 5" circle
I have a SS 7 1/2" have never fired it .
Old 11-20-2012, 07:25 PM
Dominant Buck

I could not do a five inch group at 50 yards but off a bench rest this day, I could hit in the red.. only three of the six mind you. And I forget the order of the shots. But these revolvers can do some impressive shooting.

This was much closer. 25 yard shooting off a bench rest I believe. And according to the notes on the photo I was testing cornmeal wads, VS no cornmeal wads.

Due to the size of that red bull, and the fliers.. I would guess those groups at about 3-4 inches off a bench rest. Plenty good for shooting a deer. But further then that I would not consider it.

That 38 grains of Triple Seven in your old army must have had quite the bark to it. I remember shooting 3f Triple Seven out of my Pietta and using the 30 grain flask. It did not take me too many shots to pull out my powder measure for a hand gun and start reducing the load. Not that I could not handle it.. I was worried more about the firearm. No use in stressing them.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:22 AM
Fork Horn

I bought some of Kaido's 240 grn variants. I wasn't too sure about RB for hunting with looking at the numbers, especially not for hogs. Our deer are quite small here (75-125 lbs), and I think it would do them in, but I wouldn't be very confident using it on a large hog, especially were I needing it to track a wounded one down.

In loading the Kaido bullets using Triple 7 he states that he's using a reduced load because Triple 7 does not like compression. On Hogdgon's site it sets otherwise. It specifically states percussion arms need a firm compression. I'm guessing his numbers could be even higher.

I've touched off a few of those 240 grn bullets in front of 35 grns of 3F Triple 7 and it certainly has a kick! Kaido had told me to try 40 grns, but when I did I couldn't get it to seat all the way and had to shave off the nose of the bullet.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:31 AM
Fork Horn

I've emailed Hogdgon's twice w/o a reply asking both about the compression and need to reduce max loads, which is another thing their site does not actually state. Some people claim it's what is necessary, and others have stated it is not. Some have stated that metallurgy is better now. I'm not sure about that, and, despite the manufacturers warnings are often a safety margin for themselves, it's best not to push something like that, especially when injury or death may be a result. But being that Ruger states I can load up my chambers full of 4F powder I am not concerned with 15% more powerful powder. I wouldn't do it with any other BP firearm.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:50 AM
Dominant Buck

Any time I use Triple Seven in my rifles.. I COMPRESS the devil out of the load. I want a nice firm compression with Triple Seven. When I did shoot it in my Pietta, I also compressed the load firmly. I personally would compress it.

I have some 200 grain lead bullets for the pistol and discovered the same thing.. to much powder and they don't rotate in the cylinder.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:17 AM
Fork Horn

I really need to gear up for casting as those bullets are expensive at $40/100 + shipping!
He does sell the molds ($86 for a 6 cavity IIRC).
I'm happy with them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.