Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
300g Deep Curl Result >

300g Deep Curl Result

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

300g Deep Curl Result

Old 11-18-2012, 06:05 AM
Fork Horn

I think you should have waited for a smaller deer.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:39 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
The liver was intentionally left behind. Wife and i are both children of Depression Era parents. We both were fed lots and lots of liver when we were raised. She 'loves' liver and onions, and purchases it every now and again when eating out. Myself, i have actually also purchased liver and onions at a restaurant. Years ago, perhaps near 40, i brought home an elk liver for us to eat. It was awful! We figured it was diseased, and even discussed it with Montana fish and Game.

At this moment, i have no recollection of what, if anything, we learned from that experience, but i have never brought a liver home again. That liver in the photo, does look good though, doesn't it.
When I was young my folks were big liver eaters. Liver and onions, baked liver, fried liver.. well I discovered at a young age.. I HATE LIVER!! Even the smell of it cooking. Other then liver paste. For some reason I will eat that on crackers. But I had a wife that loved liver also. So when I shot a deer she insisted (she'd put bread wrappers in my pockets... they act as gloves and then you can bring home the heart and liver in them) I haul that liver home. I never saw anyone that enjoyed liver as much as that woman.

After becoming single ... my friend asked I save the liver and heart. He pickles them. I have ate fried heart and that's all right. But to this day, someone cooks liver in a house.. I leave. Also it is forbidden to cook liver or lutefisk in my house. I can not stand the smell of them. And growing up, we were big lutefisk eaters also. I went hungry many a night. I was raised you sat at the table until you cleaned your plate. I was like that commercial where the kid refused to eat his vegetables and is made to sit at the table until he's an old man.. I'd sit there until bed time.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

I used to love liver until i ate too much Rumake (chicken livers rapped in bacon). I got really sick that day and never ate it again. That was over 30yrs ago and i still cant stand the smell of it no matter how its cooked.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rdpettit
I think you should have waited for a smaller deer.
After 13 day of hunting with a tag only good for an antlerless whitetail, i told myself i would shoot the first legal deer i could. After 13 day of frustration, there was no wait left in me. Up until this shot, i had only seen whitetails waving good bye, and fawns their mother abandoned so she could play around, and spike horned yearling, and bucks. Every doe i saw prior was always on the run. The spikes mostly all gave me a good clean shot, and i wanted to kill any one of them, but couldn't. The fawns without ma, all kinda milled around when i approached. Once i had a great shot at a nicely balanced 5 point.

A lot of the time the wind made fun with me. A lot of the time i was unable to walk quietly. Nothing went my way. One morning all was perfect, and i spotted more than one deer a ways up hill moving around back and forth. I realized a buck was sniffing around a group of doe. I guessed the range at about 150 yard, and set the elevation dial for the shot. I turned the power up to 5, and made ready for the shot behind a fallen tree stump. However, before i could take the shot, 3 doe came running down the hill right at me. They passed by so close i could have hit them with a broom, but i was so dumfounded, i didn't even cock the rifle. As were they; when they were near to running right into me, they veered off. Then came the buck; he stopped about 30' away, and stared at me. Then came a fawn, but it came too close to the Buck, and he threatened with his antlers. Then the fawn saw me, and ran off toward them doe. Then the buck decided he should go. Wow, was that ever fun!

My frustration continued, what with the noisy walking, and the wind swirling. Them spike buck sure seem to stand when approached.

The day the doe died, i somehow managed to be lucky. It was the first time i hunted there, and the walking was real quiet. The wind was in my face. The doe to be killed, saw me when i saw it, and stared at me whilst i verified it had no horn, and didn't have a fawn face, using the binocular. Then it waited whilst i removed my rifle from my shoulder, and opened the scope caps, and cocked the rifle. Never do i shoot with gloves on, but i did.