Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
300g Deep Curl Result >

300g Deep Curl Result

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

300g Deep Curl Result

Old 11-15-2012, 05:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome bullet. And awesome, awesome, awesome gun!
Old 11-15-2012, 08:04 AM
Fork Horn

Nice doe! I'm even more excited to sight in my muzzleloaders with the 300 grain gold dot. Did you have to do anything with your Omega ? (looked like one) breech plug?
Old 11-15-2012, 08:20 AM
Fork Horn

I love those DRT (Dead Right There ) shots, congrats on your deer.
Johnny
Old 11-15-2012, 09:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nice shot!!!

They cant go too far without a heart or lungs.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bucklessyooper
.........................Did you have to do anything with your Omega ? (looked like one) breech plug?
One doesn't need to change TC breech plugs so they will reliably ignite Blackhorn powder, if that is what you are asking.

However, this rifle has been shot so many many many times, the breech plug has worn out on both ends, so i have had to 'heal' it. The powder end now has a vent liner which replaced a worn, eroded flash hole. Whilst doing the modification, the flame channel was enlarged to 5/32", not so much to ensure ignition, but to reduce pressure on the primer, allow more shots before carbon clogs the channel, and to make the modification easier. The primer end has suffered flame cutting, so it has been drilled deeper so that an o-ring can be used under the primer, which makes for zero blow back.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:40 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the scoop Ron! I'm running out of excuses not to grab a can of BH209 for the Omega I have. Might wimp out and hold off on trying it in my Optima, but guess trials with BH209 and the Omega will be a deciding factor....
Old 11-16-2012, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you read other threads, you will note several negative posts about using Blackhorn powder. You may be better off, not giving it a try.

Myself, i started shooting Blackhorn powder as soon as it was available for purchase. It worked perfectly in my Omega. However, i experienced several delay/hang fire in the old Accura. Serendipitously, Breechplug started a thread about breechplugs, in which Sabotloader showed us how to install a vent liner. Installing a vent liner i saw as a perfect opportunity to make the CVA breech plug look like the Omega breech plug with the powder chamber on the muzzle end. Well, howdy do, it made the Accura 100% reliable shooting Blackhorn powder.

Nowaday, i shoot Blackhorn powder in all my rifles without any issue whatsoever. Cost isn't even an issue, because it is available in 5# jugs these days.

Keep in mind that Blackhorn powder will form a very hard carbon in the flame channel of any breech plug. Simply using a 1/8" drill in your Omega breech plug readily removes this carbon. Some prefer to spin the drill by hand, myself, i never do anything by hand, if i can do it with a motor. Some mention cleaning the flash hole with torch tip cleaners or a pick. It has been my experience that the flash hole never never never gets smaller; rather, it grows larger with each and every shot.

Some have mentioned they use the drill in the flame channel every 5 shot. Myself, i have gone over 30 shot, without cleaning the flame channel. Ignition is just fine in every properly designed breech plug after these 30 and more shot, but the pressure on the primer increases to a point where it is too much. Using a properly designed breech plug, i have never experienced a delay, but i have experienced flame cutting of the primer seat. This effectively ruins the plug; it is not recommended. These ruined plugs, i fix by drilling the flame cut away with a flattened letter C drill, and thereafter using an o-ring below the primer. This o-ring results in zero blow back, and perfect ignition.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:34 PM
Fork Horn

Nice job once again and I am a deep curl shooter myself. It looks like a high shoulder shot which is always dirt . I hope you remembered to grab your liver before you left. Take care.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

The liver was intentionally left behind. Wife and i are both children of Depression Era parents. We both were fed lots and lots of liver when we were raised. She 'loves' liver and onions, and purchases it every now and again when eating out. Myself, i have actually also purchased liver and onions at a restaurant. Years ago, perhaps near 40, i brought home an elk liver for us to eat. It was awful! We figured it was diseased, and even discussed it with Montana fish and Game.

At this moment, i have no recollection of what, if anything, we learned from that experience, but i have never brought a liver home again. That liver in the photo, does look good though, doesn't it.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:28 PM
Fork Horn

Ron, I am not too crazy about the liver myself. I dont like deer meat like I use to either unless it's hamburg w/ sausage mixed in. I once lived on the stuff and I give a lot away when I get one, WHEN I get one. I almost forgot what the liver looked like until you pointed it out to me,us here on this forum. Thanks really for taking all the extra added time to make this forum as nice as it is, the pictures and all detail. You guys really spice it up, Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.