HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Help Please with load data! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/375174-help-please-load-data.html)

cherokee75 11-10-2012 07:32 PM

Help Please with load data!

Think I have asked you guys this before so sorry. Can anyone give me an approximate velocity for 90 grains of Pyrodex RS and a 240 grain XTP mag (.452) out of an Omega. Thanks.

lemoyne 11-11-2012 05:14 AM

I hope you realize that this can vary widely depending on the tightness of bullet sabot combinations and ignition.
Out of my Omega with different combinationsthe velocity will run between 1620 and 1740 FPS.

Breechplug 11-11-2012 08:50 AM

I use Pyro RS but 110grs, the muzzle velocity with the 240gr XTP is 1950fps
(BP)

nchawkeye 11-11-2012 10:42 AM

Not to be a smart butt, but fast enough to kill a deer...

I shoot 80grs FFF Goex in my Knight behind a 300gr .430 Hornady XTP and my hunting buddy shoots 85grs 777 behind a 240gr .430 Hornady XTP...We both kill deer, can't really tell much difference except I seem to get more pass throughs...

More powder isn't always the answer as both these rifle's groups start to open up with 85grs and just get worse after that...

cherokee75 11-11-2012 06:07 PM

I know the velocity is fast enough as I used the combination last year. The reason for my question is to plug the information into a ballistic calculator to determine drop and such. I went to the range yesterday and shot a total of five rounds with the load from my original post.

I was laying prone on the ground shooting from a front rest and was nice and steady. My first two shots at 50 yards were touching almost dead center two inches above the bullseye. My next three shots were from 100 yards away. Shots one and three at 100 yards are very close. The second shot at 100 yards was nowhere to be found and I am writing it off as a flier.

My concern is two inches high at fifty should not be four inches high at 100 yards. The target was approximately three feet off the ground so I was shooting slighlty uphill since I was laying down. Could this be a reason for the groups. I know its good enough for deer hunting but I was jsut looking for some input.

Breechplug 11-11-2012 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by cherokee75 (Post 4003766)
I know the velocity is fast enough as I used the combination last year. The reason for my question is to plug the information into a ballistic calculator to determine drop and such. I went to the range yesterday and shot a total of five rounds with the load from my original post.

I was laying prone on the ground shooting from a front rest and was nice and steady. My first two shots at 50 yards were touching almost dead center two inches above the bullseye. My next three shots were from 100 yards away. Shots one and three at 100 yards are very close. The second shot at 100 yards was nowhere to be found and I am writing it off as a flier.

My concern is two inches high at fifty should not be four inches high at 100 yards. The target was approximately three feet off the ground so I was shooting slighlty uphill since I was laying down. Could this be a reason for the groups. I know its good enough for deer hunting but I was jsut looking for some input.

As I mentioned above Im using 110grs of pyro RS. I also sight in at 2" hight at 50yds. Im around 1" high at 100, dead on at 135.
Your bullet is still climbing at 100yds, remember your not sighted in dead on at 50 yds, your 2" high. If you were to sight in dead on at 50 you'd be lower at 100 then you are now.
I dont know where you should be hitting with your load being sighted in 2" high at 50yds, you could very well be 4" high at 100. To explain this better, even though your sighted in 2" high at 50yds, your not sighted in for 50 yds, your 2" high at 50yds could have you sighted in for dead on at for example 140yds. You just have to do what your doing now. Shoot at 100, then at 125, then at 150 and you'll see how much your bullet drops at different yardages.
(BP)

cherokee75 11-11-2012 06:55 PM

cherokee75 11-11-2012 07:00 PM

Next question, would it be ill advised to make scope adjustments for height strictly based on the target if I can't get back out and shoot before next weekend? Seeing how the windage is right on.

Breechplug 11-11-2012 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by cherokee75 (Post 4003780)
Next question, would it be ill advised to make scope adjustments for height strictly based on the target if I can't get back out and shoot before next weekend? Seeing how the windage is right on.

I just looked at a target I had where I was sighted in 2" high at 50yds, on the target I was still 2 1/2" high at 100, so I lied:sad0064: .......You cant go by the taget when trying to just figure where to adjust your elevation without shooting. This is what I do. Im 2" high at 50 and know Im about dead on at 135-140yds. I know to aim low at anything under 50 yds. If I have a deer at 50yds or under I aim for the heart and I'll be good. If the range is around 100-140yds I'll aim dead center lungs and I'll be good. From 140-175 I'll aim for the top of the lungs and be in there. You just have to know your Mler. First off I'd find out where exactly you are hitting dead on being 2" high at 50yds.
(BP)

oldsmellhound 11-11-2012 09:48 PM

With most muzzy loads (especially sabot rounds) I have almost always found it better to sight in at 100 yards, then go back to 50 yards to see where you are hitting. Many of my loads are dead on at 100 yards, and also about dead on at 50, or sometimes slightly high or low. A sabotted muzzy round shoots pretty flat out to 100 yards or so - it is not like a shotgun slug in this regard. It is very possible that a 2" high setting at 50 yards can equal 4" high at 100. Sight your rifle in at 100 yards and then re-check it at 50....