Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Flintlock Buck...

Old 11-10-2012, 05:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Flintlock Buck...

Made a quick trip to the Uwharrie Gamelands here in central NC this morning and had this fellow come running in to my calls...

Old 11-10-2012, 05:07 PM
Dominant Buck

Wow... an excellent buck. Congratulations. How far away was he when you dumped him?
Old 11-10-2012, 05:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

About 40 yards, ran maybe 25 before dropping for good...
Old 11-10-2012, 05:26 PM
Fork Horn

Well done. Congrats! Name that rifle yet?
Old 11-10-2012, 05:46 PM
Typical Buck

wow great buck and gun.....good shooting
Old 11-10-2012, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Way to Go! Congrats!
I like stories, what MLer, Powder, How Far, ect
(BP)
Old 11-10-2012, 06:46 PM
Fork Horn

Congrat's on the buck, and a good looking rifle too.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sweet rifle and buck, congratulations
Old 11-11-2012, 01:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks guys...I call this one Daisy, because of the Lancaster Daisy patchbox...

I made this rifle back in the 80s, took me two years to complete...I did a lot of research of what type rifle could/would have been made in 1770 in Piedmont NC...She is a .54 caliber, I mold my own .530 round balls, use pillow ticking as a patch and mix bees wax, castor oil and Murphys Oil soap as lube...My standard load is 80grs FFF Goex...

I'm a history buff and wanted a rifle that would have been common in this area...Daniel Boone was living here at that time and later this is what was used at Kings Mountain, Cowpens and the Battle of Guilford Court House...I give talks to local schools and Boy Scout Troops where I dress up in period costume and demontrate the loading and firing of this gun...

I have 3 daughers, one was 4-5 when I started this gun and I've told her it is her's when I'm gone...She use to come down to the basement and watch when I was working on this gun and went on to earn a scholarship as a NC Teaching Fellow at UNC...Better yet, she also got a free ride for her Masters at Wake Forest...She now teaches history in the Raleigh area...

Story is pretty short...

I live about 15 minutes from a section of the Uwharrie National Forest here in central NC...It's a beautiful area with rolling hills covered with oaks and creeks running through...I've hunted this area for about 30 years...I found a draw leading from a cutover, across a stream, through a laurel thicket and up a mountain during turkey season...I made note of it and decided to hunt this area when deer season came in...It's about 2 miles off the closest access area...

Last week, I hiked in, carrying a fold up beach chair, sat down and had a doe come through...That's the picture I posted then...I had to open up the rear sight on this gun this summer as I had had cataract surgery and I couldn't see through the rear sight to see the front...Well, I hit that doe where I was holding, got her hung, skinned and boned out the meat and packed it out...I had hidden the beach chair in a tree lap...

Yesterday, we had to go to Charlotte for a birthday party for my 4 year old grandson...I needed to be back at home by 10...I walked back to my spot, retrieved my beach chair and sat down under the same holly tree as before...I kept calling with a estrus doe bleat, followed by a series of buck grunts....Well, about 8:15 this fellow comes running out of the cutover looking for love or a fight...I hollered for him to stop, when I did, I shot him low in the right shoulder at about 40 yards...He went down, got up, went down again and kinda limped back to the cutover...I did my best Lewis Wetzel impersonation of loading on the run trying to get another ball in him...He laid down and was facing me...I put another in him in the lower neck which put him down for keeps...

I circled behind him and noticed he was still breathing...I reloaded and put a third in the back of his neck...The first was deadly but I can't stand by and watch as they breath their last...It's also why I load 2 balls with a thinner patch, after the 2nd reload that's what goes down the barrel if I don't take time to swab...

After he was down I had to hustle as it was 8:30, I had to report him, hang him and get him boned out and backpack him out to be home by 10...I also had to clean my rifle...I was 15 minutes late but rolled into my daughters driveway in Charlotte at 1:00, just in time for the party...
Old 11-11-2012, 05:11 AM
Typical Buck

lol thats good use of time lol...great story

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.