Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Can a muzzleloader possibly fire while loading? >

Can a muzzleloader possibly fire while loading?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Can a muzzleloader possibly fire while loading?

Old 11-10-2012, 05:02 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

Default Can a muzzleloader possibly fire while loading?

I read of one account (I won't post the link cause it is a competing forum) where the guy was loading pyrodex pellets and in his second shot, the gun went off as he was pushing the bullet down. The rod blew out injuring his hand to where he has lost most use. Is this a real concern? I think pellets were perhaps the big culprit. I shoot powder in my inline ML so there probably are no embers left after shooting.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:13 PM
Typical Buck

im sure something could happen...hot ambers add powder who knows how it could have happened damp pellet didnt burn all the way who knows... there will always be danger with anything explosive....sorry to hear of the injury sounds painful...
Old 11-10-2012, 05:14 PM
Dominant Buck

he had a barrel flash. When you shoot, there are or at least its possible that there are hot embers in the barrel. So when you dump the powder down onto the hot embers.. they can and have flashed. I have seen this happen twice in my life. It always happened when people were competing in speed shooting events.

That is the advantage of swabbing... that puts the embers out. So does just waiting the rifle out. Another way is blowing down the muzzle of the barrel. What you're basically doing is blow out the embers. But don't try this on a firing range, as some range instructors come unglued and kick you out.

I actually the other day paused and just sat there. I was shooting BlackHorn 209 and had fired and then dumped a fresh load of powder down the barrel. And I could see smoke coming from the barrel. So much so in fact, it caused me to wait it out.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:25 PM
Typical Buck

ive reloaded my gun with loose powder and seen smoke still comming out ...thought it might flash(powder) but it never has, ive pumped the ramrod up and down sometimes too to get the smoke out .....dont know why i do it but it make me feel better....adding powder to a smokeing barrel makes me alittle nervous.....ed
Old 11-10-2012, 05:33 PM
Spike

Nicely put Dave. One other thing to mention that should be common sense is never lean over the ramrod when pushing a bullet down! I caught myself doing it once or twice and have seen a lot of this at the range. I built a nice stand to make sure I can keep to the side while stuffing the bore. Another thing I've see on YouTube is a whole pound of powder going off because the shooter forgot to secure it before shooting! Black powder does require some extra measures for safety. Newbies coming from modern propellants just aren't aware of some of the dangers.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:00 PM
Fork Horn

Had it happen to me while hunting, blew me quick loader out of my hand and scared the crap out of me.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Black powder and pellets are the worst culprits in this because they tend to leave embers, all powders are to be used with caution when muzzle loading but the harder they are to ignite the less likely they are to flash. That's the one good point in blackhorn requiring a high temperature and pressure ignition.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:22 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

I have a 1x2 with a partial hole for the ramrod end to fit in. This allows me to push the bullet down without my hand in the line of flight, but I need two hands, so it is a little awkward. After reading some similar accounts here, I think I will keep using this! At least for any shots after the first. For my purposes next week hunting, hopefully only one shot is what I will take!

In the article I read, the fellow waited a good five minutes between shots, but those pellets can be quirky. He did not swab the barrel down.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by MZS
I have a 1x2 with a partial hole for the ramrod end to fit in. This allows me to push the bullet down without my hand in the line of flight, but I need two hands, so it is a little awkward. After reading some similar accounts here, I think I will keep using this! At least for any shots after the first. For my purposes next week hunting, hopefully only one shot is what I will take!

In the article I read, the fellow waited a good five minutes between shots, but those pellets can be quirky. He did not swab the barrel down.
Normally, but not always - pellets seem to function very well. but then on occasion you can get a pellet that really does not fire correctly - it kinda acts a fuse and fiz burns. Most of the time all of the fiz will be pushed out of the bore - but you never really know...

I do not use pellets - for many reasons - but that is certainly one of them...
Old 11-10-2012, 06:52 PM
Fork Horn

Had it happen to me while hunting, blew me quick loader out of my hand and scared the crap out of me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.