Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Is my 1.5 yr old hodgdon triple 7 powder too old? >

Is my 1.5 yr old hodgdon triple 7 powder too old?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Is my 1.5 yr old hodgdon triple 7 powder too old?

Old 11-10-2012, 11:51 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

Default Is my 1.5 yr old hodgdon triple 7 powder too old?

Just tried firing my muzzleloader loaded with hodgdon triple 7, a sabot with plastic insert, and 209 primer. Misfire! The gun is now sitting in my garage, pointed in a safe direction. Two questions:

1. Is this powder too old?
2. How long til I can safely remove the bullet?

I have a break action, so I can remove the breech plug, which is what I intend to do. Then push the bullet out the back.

BTW, I kept the powder tightly sealed in a fairly dry cool dark place. Also, it was quite damp when I shot the gun, but I shot it only minutes after loading.

Last edited by MZS; 11-10-2012 at 11:54 AM.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

MZS

I use T7 all the time... In fact the bottle of T7 I am working on right now is labeled with a purchase date of 8/2010 - works great if the lid has been sealed.

Just a note it was not that long ago I was shooting T7 that I purchased in 2007. I was shooting it across a chrono just to check it... Good stuff.

Not sure what question #2 is asking... you can push it out anytime you want.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:04 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

Thanks! This is the first misfire I have had with this setup. Guess I will try again. Also, I am using Winchester Triple 7 primers, also about 18 mo old, but I can not see these as being a problem.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:17 PM
Dominant Buck

My question is did you try firing a second primer after the first failed? Depending on how you prepared the rifle to shoot, the breech plug might have been full of oil, gunk, etc.. so I would take it back to the range, put a new primer on it, BE SURE TO CHECK AND MAKE SURE THE LOAD HAS NOT MOVED OFF THE POWDER CHARGE FROM THE FIRST PRIMER, and try shooting it again. If it goes off, be easy on the dampness of the patch you swab with. And it would not hurt if it did fire, to pop one or two primers only.

I have Triple Seven that is dated in 2010 and it fires off just fine. But I did have Triple Seven pellets that gave me fits. Some would just POOF and others shot fine. Just try shooting it again.

If it does not fire, pull the breech plug and push the load out. Then swab the barrel, pop a couple primers through it, and try firing it again. If it don't fire again, then I would say the powder was somehow contaminated.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:30 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

This could have been a bit of oil on the breech plug. I cleaned it good, oiled it and stored it for over a year before shooting today. And as I mentioned there was a light rain.

I removed the breech plug. Looked like some of the powder burned. I pushed out the bullet and remaining powder and reloaded. Two good shots, right on the money at 80 yds! Time to clean it up and carefully store it for next weeks hunt. I will use this Pursuit Traditions ml with scope while my son uses my regular deer rifle.

I know what you are saying about the pellets. I tried them too and they were bad news for me too. They go bad in a hurry and are unreliable. I think one big problem with pellets is that it is hard to get good consistent seating and compression. Also, instead of a steady burn, you have a phase of burning for each pellet.

Last edited by MZS; 11-10-2012 at 12:35 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:51 PM
Spike

i have some pyrodex powder that is over 10yrs old and has been sealed in the container and shoots just fine with primers that are around the same age.... as long as the powder was sealed prior to loading it should be fine and i second the possiblity of oil in the breech plug....
Old 11-10-2012, 01:48 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

Just finished cleaning. I took a hat pin to the breech plug hole and spun it around a bit. Cleaned this up and could easily see daylight from the back of the gun now - could not so easily before. So I thing the breech plug hole was partially fouled up. That first misfire cleared it up, for the most part.

Thanks for all the comments. Good to know I don't have to scrap the powder - I barely used it. Sighted in the scope and that's about all I used of the powder.

Last edited by MZS; 11-11-2012 at 05:34 AM.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've had that happen before - fouled breech plug. I always pop 2 - 3 primers before I load up. This makes sure your BP flash hole is all clear.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by klinger86
i have some pyrodex powder that is over 10yrs old and has been sealed in the container and shoots just fine with primers that are around the same age.... as long as the powder was sealed prior to loading it should be fine and i second the possiblity of oil in the breech plug....
Ditto. This spring my son and I used up about a half can of RS that was over 10yrs old. Not 1 misfire, shot great.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:13 PM
Typical Buck

I shot some today that was over 3 years old,and was put up in tubes last deer season.No problem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.