Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Clean bore accuracy question. >

Clean bore accuracy question.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Clean bore accuracy question.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:32 PM
Spike

Ok, is the reason for swabbing because of the amount of fouling and the possibility of a detonation not related to a trigger pull? Or, is it because the fouling is excessive and throws off shots a significant amount?

Here is the exchange i had with my pops on the subject.

Do i need to swab between shot?

Na the powder will burn completely so you dont need to swab if you have to load another round.

Ok cool, so if for some reason i need to load after my first shot its not gonna go off without me pulling the trigger.

Nope.

So is swabbing with pyrodex just to alleviate some of the accuracy issues with the amount of fouling or is it a safety issue that involves the possibility of premature detonation?

Sorry for the newb questions. I think dad will be proud to have a convo with me later when i actually have something to add instead of him just rambling haha.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:48 PM
Dominant Buck

Lets say for example, you shoot a 100 grains of Pyrodex rs.. It would shock you how much powder that does not get burnt is still in that bore. The reason you swab is, for the best possible accuracy, as a safety feature (although I have done speed shoots and only saw two barrel flashes), and you need to have the best consistency between shots. So if you shoot and do not swab.. that means there is more fouling in the bore on the second shot, then the first. That is inconsistent. Also now the next projectile seats different then the one before it as there is more material in the bore. Check your witness mark if you don't swab, and you will see this. Again, inconsistent. And your primer ignition has that much more to fire through and flame out.. again, inconsistent. And some rifles are near impossible to load a second shot, depending on the powder and projectile of course, if you do not swab.

Now let me state.. if you're hunting, and lets say you shoot a deer and it drops or staggers off slowly but does not drop. But you're certain you hit it. There is no harm in loading without swabbing, and going up to that animal. Why.. well your closing the distance hopefully, you are also shooting at something not moving as much, and the ability to do a follow up is important. And most rifles on a dirty bore still shoot reasonably accurate. But by the same means... lets say you shoot a deer and watch it run over the hill. But you are sure you hit it. Why not swab the bore? This will give you time to collect your thoughts, clean the rifle to make the follow up shot that much more accurate, give the deer time to have the first hit take effect, and just slow the rat race down.

If I were you, shooting your rifle and load... on the range, I would swab between shots. And also if hunting. But that is my style of hunting and shooting. If you do not want to swab, use a witness mark, and be careful your pushing that bullet through the fouling, onto the powder charge and not short charging the rifle...
Old 11-08-2012, 02:17 PM
Spike

I guess what my dad was talking about was a follow up shot and it not being a necessity to swab after that. It makes perfect sense to swab if given the time, why not do it?

Thanks again for all the help, cant say enough about how much i appreciate all the quick and insightful responses.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cayugad said pretty much what I would say. I shoot Pyrodox RS and Pyro Pellets and Yes you have to swab between shots to be consistant. Also a follow up shot may not always be for following up. For instance if Im in stand and I shoot a deer and it's cold out and I see it go down I'll stay in stand and keep hunting for some time befor I go dress my deer, you never know what else could come by. Thus your second shot should be as accurate as your first one. So at the range I swab between shots so each next shot will be as the one befor and they'll all be on a fouled barrel.
Also like I said above in my other comment I can also shoot on a clean bore as my shots are pretty much the same. But if Im long range hunting and want to be 100% sure Im going to be on I'll hunt with a fouled barrel.
Sure you can sight in for a clean barrel first shot, but it's a pain to do. Plus you never know if your gonna have or take a second shot while hunting and tahat second shot wont be like your first out of a clean barrel, so that's why I prefer a fouled barrel sighted in MLer, for them 2nd and possible 3d shots.
Trial and error and experience is what we all did to get to where we are now, befor long it'll all be like riding a bike. But were always looking for that one little thing to do that's just a tad bit better than we've been doing it, that's what makes this fun to do.
(BP)
Old 11-08-2012, 08:15 PM
Spike

Dad told me information is the best weapon you can take hunting with you. So, i appreciate all this.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:17 PM
Dominant Buck

Glad we could help... anything you want to know, just ask. Someone on here might know the answer.