HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   need help-TC endeaver hammer issue (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/375022-need-help-tc-endeaver-hammer-issue.html)

o2bebowhunting 11-07-2012 05:05 AM

need help-TC endeaver hammer issue

i was hunting yesterday and had a decent buck closing the distance. i went to pull the hammer back and it would not budge. ive had this happen one other time about 2-3 years ago and i recovered in time. yesterday i did not. the time before i simply opened the gun threw the cap away and put a new one on. i was too late yesterday. when i put a new cap on the hammer came back(after the buck was gone). why did this happen? i dont hunt a lot w/ the TC as you can tell. my gun shot the day before yesterday killing a 7pt without fail. i have 2 or 3 brand names in my possibles bag. it cant be just one of the brands. i even tried(to save time) just taking the existing cap off and putting it back on. that did not work as i had to put a new cap on in order for it to work.

thanks in advance.

lemoyne 11-07-2012 05:18 AM

There is a safty toggle that hooks in to the hammer if the latch does not go all the way it does not move back off the hammer far enough to release it.
If you make a pratice of snapping the action close it will normally prevent this problem. I always raise my hammer to full cock and let it back down when I load my gun for hunting or replace the primer after pulling it up to the tree stand.

o2bebowhunting 11-07-2012 06:02 AM

thanks. From now on, i will always double check this when i hit the woods. i still cant believe thsi happened. oh well. SMH

cayugad 11-07-2012 06:48 AM

Things like this always seem to happen when you don't want them. Hope you have better luck next time.

I can remember the time I was hunting with a Renegade and had a doe walk in. I pulled the hammer back, set the trigger, took a bead on her and pulled the trigger and nothing.. not even a snap of a cap. Looked down and no #11 cap on the nipple. Must have fell off or I forgot to cap the rifle. But now the doe had me locked in her sight. And as slow as I moved to try and reach my capper.. her front foot started stomping, tail started twitching, and I knew I was busted.. But it sure made my heart race, and its funny but I remember that incident with rather fond memories.

keyshunter 11-08-2012 10:46 AM

I doubt that the primer has anything to do with this problem. There is an interlock which will not allow the hammer to be cocked unless the locking lug is fully into battery. The locking lug sometimes not engaging fully is why it will sometimes cock and sometimes will not. Try cleaning and oiling the lug and its recess in the action. If this does not do it, and the problem persists, replace the locking lug spring.