Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
TC Hawken Discontinued >

TC Hawken Discontinued

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

TC Hawken Discontinued

Old 12-16-2012, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Back to the old yardstick and cleaning rod. I hope that it is a 1 in 48", I would like to shoot the short conicals but want to try the RB too. I never was too good with numbers, there are just too many of them.

After the uproar that the anti's are going to generate after the Sandy Hook disaster, we may all be back to traditional guns.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

As far as I know. Investarms doesn't make a 28" 1-60 twist.

The 1-48 twist is fine for PRB as long as you don't use huge powder loads. They really aren't needed with a PRB.

It should also shout conicals pretty good too. No too short though. That would be more for a slower twist barrel. Bullets like the maxi ball should do well, but you need to try them to see for sure.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

According to Investarm, the max load for PRB is 90 gr. of powder. For heavier conicals it is 80 gr. I wouldn't be shooting any more that that, altho it seems to be too conservative. When I was shooting the 240 gr. conical with 80 grs of Pyrodex RS, I did not notice any recoil, and I would notice if there was much. Sam Fadala would probably want a little more powder behind the RB.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'll be using 90gr of Pyro P powder next year for elk and muley buck. I think it's plenty if you keep the range reasonable, and use proper shot placement.

I have a built in max range, because of poor vision with iron sights. About 60yds. Maybe 75 yds for elk, because of bigger kill zone. I prefer closer though.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

My 70 year old eyes don't see the sights very well either. On other(shorter) guns I use either peep sights or a scope. I thought that would be the case on the BP rifle, so I hunted around and found one of those ladder sights that T/C used to sell. Then I figured out that the stock front sight was not tall enought for it and hunted down one that was. The front sight dovetail was too wide so I started filing it down and narrowing and shaping the blade. Then I got my glasses changed and went with the "no line" bifocals. I can now see the stock sights on the Investarm so I quit filing. I think I will mount the ladder sight one day tho, it looks like it should be way more accurate then the stock sights. Gotta go skype my son. He over in the sandy drawing combat pay.