Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
TC Hawken Discontinued >

TC Hawken Discontinued

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

TC Hawken Discontinued

Old 12-15-2012, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
I have no faith in these "experts" that tell me a roundball, projected at such and such speed is not a lethal projectile. I call bull on that. I've shot far too many deer with a simple roundball to believe their non lethal line of bunk. They base their "knowledge" for the most part on numbers. And numbers don't paint the entire picture.
Now come on Dave, we all know that you can do anything on paper. Just ask an engineer, they'll tell you.

BPS
Old 12-15-2012, 09:22 AM
Dominant Buck

So true, so true...
Old 12-15-2012, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I've read that the sidelock hunters are down to less than 10% of the total. That's still a lot when you consider there's 4 million ML hunters, but we're a dying group when you consider it used to be 100%.
Muley,

Fortunately, the late ML (flintlock only) season here in Pa. helps keep us alive. I have yet to see an in-line flintlock!

BPS
Old 12-15-2012, 09:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Blackpowdersmoke
Muley,

Fortunately, the late ML (flintlock only) season here in Pa. helps keep us alive. I have yet to see an in-line flintlock!

BPS
I sure hope you never do either. Although you can get one with a black tupperware stock. Cripes!
Old 12-15-2012, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I understand that the newer Investarm are faster twist. I did the yardstick bit with mine several times and it measures out to be 1 in 60". Sort of slow for conicals, that is why I shoot a short 240 grain Hornady. I have not tried RB yet, but will one day.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Jenks
I understand that the newer Investarm are faster twist. I did the yardstick bit with mine several times and it measures out to be 1 in 60". Sort of slow for conicals, that is why I shoot a short 240 grain Hornady. I have not tried RB yet, but will one day.
You're talking about the Great Plains Rifle. It has the round ball twist of 1-60. You should have got the Great
Plains Hunter with a 1-32 twist if you wanted to shoot conicals.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Muley, it does not have any brand name on it other then Investarm but in appearances it is the same as the Cabelas Hawken. I did not know the twist when I bought it, it was used, pretty and appeared unfired for $125 so I bought it. I have a weakness for good looking guns, I sometimes have the means to buy the cheap ones.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

How long is the barrel?
Old 12-16-2012, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

It is 28" from the end of the barrel to the forward edge of the part that the nipple screws into.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ok, it's like the Lyman Trade rifle, and should have a 1-48 twist.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.