Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
TC Hawken Discontinued >

TC Hawken Discontinued

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

TC Hawken Discontinued

Old 12-12-2012, 06:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe we'll all get lucky and the Chinese will buy TC's patents and patterns for their sidelocks. They make everything else we use so why not? Although the thought of using any TC firearm that was Chinese made or had Chinese parts totally nauseates me and I refuse to do so!!

I know there are members of "other" forums that are probably dancing a jig over it because they never felt that T/C sidelock muzzleloaders were "worthy" because they aren't period correct.
To those that feel this way I say, "Thompson Center is an American icon of muzzleloading firearms". They put quality, affordable, muzzleloading firearms into the hands of countless American sportsmen and made the sport of hunting with a black powder firearm what it is today.

If the Hawken is officially discontinued, let us all bow our heads in silence and pay our respects to a truly great AMERICAN MADE firearm. Rest in peace T/C Hawken, Amen.

BPS
Old 12-13-2012, 12:28 AM
Fork Horn

I agree. While I like my Lyman Great Plains rifle it isn't made in the USA. Had T/C still been offering the Hawken I'd prob have purchased that instead just b/c it WAS made in the USA.

Virtually every BP hunting show on the Outdoor Channel these days has hunters using a T/C inline muzzleloader. They look quite impressive - tho personally it's not my idea of a BP firearm. To each is own of course....
Old 12-13-2012, 02:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Scoobiedoo6559
Virtually every BP hunting show on the Outdoor Channel these days has hunters using a T/C inline muzzleloader. They look quite impressive - tho personally it's not my idea of a BP firearm. To each is own of course....
Exactly...they should be using a Knight!

(I kid)

Hey at least I have one TC sidelock.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:37 AM
Fork Horn

I just sold a TC Hawken for $ 200 plus shipping .That guy got a heck of a deal.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think my T/C Hawkins came with a lifetime warranty. What will happen with that?
Old 12-13-2012, 05:31 AM
Fork Horn

I would think that T/C would honor that being the knd of company there are and the reputation they have. I would call them and ask them about that and their plans about that now...
Old 12-13-2012, 06:22 AM
Dominant Buck

I worry as with other companies that life time warranties kind of go by the way as their inventory of spare parts diminish. What normally happens (maybe it will not with T/C) is you get the.. we no longer make those parts. So you will have to look somewhere else for the fix you need.

The death of the Hawken, Renegade, and other Thompson Center firearms I am sure is a business deal. Have you seen the prices of them at stores? I think because of their price, they did not sell. Face it, you want to hunt and can get a Hawken for $500.00 or an Impact for $250.00. Which one is the two weeks a year hunter going to pick. Even though they might like the nostalgia of a traditional rifle, they like the features and price of the inline.

Thank goodness I am well stocked... enough said.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:32 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by cayugad
I worry as with other companies that life time warranties kind of go by the way as their inventory of spare parts diminish. What normally happens (maybe it will not with T/C) is you get the.. we no longer make those parts. So you will have to look somewhere else for the fix you need.

The death of the Hawken, Renegade, and other Thompson Center firearms I am sure is a business deal. Have you seen the prices of them at stores? I think because of their price, they did not sell. Face it, you want to hunt and can get a Hawken for $500.00 or an Impact for $250.00. Which one is the two weeks a year hunter going to pick. Even though they might like the nostalgia of a traditional rifle, they like the features and price of the inline.

Thank goodness I am well stocked... enough said.
I couldn't agree more! That no doubt is exactly what is prob going to happen - b/c if they don't have parts - how CAN they repair or replace any defective rifles then? You're right when you say that the prices of these 'traditional' rifles are going to severely limit sales! Heck - I recently only paid $500 for my brand new Savage 111 w/a 3-9x x 40mm Nikon scope and $500 for my Savage 212 12 gauge bolt action as well (unscoped). So these prices that not only Lyman and T/C and even CVA is asking for the Hawken's and such is outlandish!

I recently purchased a Lyman Great Plains rifle from Cabela's myself. Beautiful rifle - but at a whopping $579 I could have purchased a modern inline that's easier to carry, clean, and can be scoped (or not) for at least $100-150 LESS! While I love shooting 'traditional' - I may in-fact with their Lifetime Return policy return in it lieu of a inline instead. For less than what I paid for this rifle I can get a great CVA Accura for $449 (unscoped). That's $130 less for a rifle that will shoot 209 primers, 150 gr loads, has a finger removable breech plug, metal ramrod, etc.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

It's pretty much the same with all of the old classics. Take for example the good old 30-30 Winchester 94. It was one of the most popular guns in the 1940s and 50s, and sold in big numbers at a working man's price. But with a MSRP of around $1200 today, and with many new bolt actions selling for less than half of that, how many new ones are sold these days? There are thousands of them sitting in gun cabinets that haven't been shot in years.

Last edited by Semisane; 12-13-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:02 AM
Fork Horn

I agree! If I could have purchased a Winchester 94 for the same price as my Savage 111 I would have bought that instead any day! Even though the new Savage 111's are great rifles - for eastern hunting I'd have picked the Win 94 any day!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.