Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Bought my first Portable Tree Stand. >

Bought my first Portable Tree Stand.

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bought my first Portable Tree Stand.

Old 10-14-2012, 04:22 PM
Spike

Walmart does sell a smaller, light weight lock-on. Under $50. I think that one would do the trick
Old 10-14-2012, 06:49 PM
Spike

Another option is to leave it in the general vicinity that you choose to hunt-cover it with some branches-keep it slightly off the ground to keep it from laying in water. That way you don't have to carry it in and out.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have got several lock on stands that I rarely use anymore. I have found my climber to be much more useful and comfortable. Since I'm comfortable, I hunt longer and am able to sit still much longer.

However, when I hunt out of lock on stands I use either Cranford EZ Steps:

www.ezyclimb.com/treesteps.shtm

Or:

The Treehopper Tree Step Bolts. The Treehopper system allows you to remove & reinstall all your steps much easier and quicker than conventional style steps. I tried these out at the Buckmasters Expo a few years back and was impressed. I will usually combine the step bolts and the Cranford steps.

http://www.treehopperllc.com/catalog...nfo-below.html

Another thing you might want to consider for portability would be the Lone Wolf Climbing Sticks or the Muddy Climbing Sticks. I had a set of the Lone Wolf's but sold them to a friend.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll admit, for the longest time I wasn't a fan of hang-on stands. But a year or two ago my hunting group started buying a bunch and hanging them. They all use the same bolts so anyone can use them as long as you have the steps. That is a extremely favorable situation in my opinion. Everyone has a pair of steps and they just hunt whichever stand they want.

I do have a Summit Viper Climber and while it is EXTREMELY comfortable and easy to use, I normally hunt deep in the woods and it's just too heavy to carry far. So it normally goes with me on shorter hunts.

I'd prefer to use ladder stands as I feel must more safe in them, but I hunt mainly on public land so that's not feasable.

That being said, many-many years I hunted from the ground, backed up against a tree. I've killed A LOT of deer that way so I think some of this stand envy is more from a hunter's standpoint.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by TNHagies
I'll admit, for the longest time I wasn't a fan of hang-on stands. But a year or two ago my hunting group started buying a bunch and hanging them. They all use the same bolts so anyone can use them as long as you have the steps. That is a extremely favorable situation in my opinion. Everyone has a pair of steps and they just hunt whichever stand they want.

I do have a Summit Viper Climber and while it is EXTREMELY comfortable and easy to use, I normally hunt deep in the woods and it's just too heavy to carry far. So it normally goes with me on shorter hunts.

I'd prefer to use ladder stands as I feel must more safe in them, but I hunt mainly on public land so that's not feasable.

That being said, many-many years I hunted from the ground, backed up against a tree. I've killed A LOT of deer that way so I think some of this stand envy is more from a hunter's standpoint.
A good set of padded backpack straps will make that Viper carry much easier.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by VAhuntr
A good set of padded backpack straps will make that Viper carry much easier.
I have some-and they do help. But I'm only 5'8 130 so when you add the treestand, backpack with all my clothes and such in it and a gun you're talking carrying 65-70 lbs on my back. Not something I care to do on a mile/mile and a half hike back to where I'm going.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by TNHagies
I have some-and they do help. But I'm only 5'8 130 so when you add the treestand, backpack with all my clothes and such in it and a gun you're talking carrying 65-70 lbs on my back. Not something I care to do on a mile/mile and a half hike back to where I'm going.
You might check on a waist/kidney style belt that might help take some weight off your shoulders.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I took the stand back to Wal-Mart tonight, it just was'nt practicle for what I needed to use it for. It did come with it's own padded backpack straps, yet it weighed 29lbs. I am a Big guy, 6'6" and 240 but carrying that much along with my Bow or MLer and all the rest I bring with me just would'nt cut it.
Im going to Dicks Sporting Goods tomorrow to look for something that suits me.
(BP)