Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Bought my first Portable Tree Stand. >

Bought my first Portable Tree Stand.

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bought my first Portable Tree Stand.

Old 10-12-2012, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bought my first Portable Tree Stand.

I've always been a Premanent tree stand hunter, we build all our tree stands out of pressure trated wood and make pretty much all of them so 2 hunters can be in them at the same time and some of mine I can even lay down while Connie watches if I get a sore back. They all have 2 seats and are solid as heck.
Well tonight I was in Wal-Mart and for a coule of years now I've been wanting a potable hanger so I can set up in different spots as the deer change there patterns, or if I find a Hot Spot. They only had 3 styles of stands and only 3 left alltogeather so I figured I'd better get one now.
Have any you's had any first hand experience with this tree stand? is it Noisy or anything that you may or may not like about it?
I'll also use it some for our Gun Season when Im ML Hunting and when it gets cold, I know some atands get squeaky and noisy when it gets cold so I figured I'd see if any of you's have used this stand?
Also what do all of you use when hunting, permanents, hangers, climbers, tri-pods, blinds, ect....?
(BP)
Attached Thumbnails Bought my first Portable Tree Stand.-dsc01455.jpg  
Old 10-12-2012, 04:44 PM
Dominant Buck

The only stand I ever used was a friends Tree Lounge. Nice and comfortable but you sat kind of strange in them. And it seemed to take for ever to get it set up. But once on the tree it worked good. I am not crazy about those screw in steps either. But I am sure they work as they sell a lot of them.

Like you I went to permanent stands because they were more solid and all I had to do was to walk out. But as of late I have been going ground. I got some of these dog house blinds that set themselves up. I kind of like them. But you can see so much better out of trees.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:56 PM
Spike

I have that exact lock-on and love it. Very comfortable and quiet. It has orange plastic washers you put in between the metal parts of the stand. Best lock-on I have, and it's worth every bit of $89 in my opinion.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
The only stand I ever used was a friends Tree Lounge. Nice and comfortable but you sat kind of strange in them. And it seemed to take for ever to get it set up. But once on the tree it worked good. I am not crazy about those screw in steps either. But I am sure they work as they sell a lot of them.

Like you I went to permanent stands because they were more solid and all I had to do was to walk out. But as of late I have been going ground. I got some of these dog house blinds that set themselves up. I kind of like them. But you can see so much better out of trees.
Yes Dave I like the home made pressure treated wood stands the best, there solid and have lots of room and I just feel more safe in them than being in a hang on.
But I needed a stand I could move to where the action may be that I dont have a permanent stand set up. Plus I have made permanent stands in places befor that had good sign but all the scent and noise I left behind made the deer know I was there, they were good stands the following year but when I wanted to use it Now they were'nt that great.
This stand was a pretty good deal if it's not noisy, it was only $100 and comes with 8 screw in steps and 2 screw in accessory steps, a DVD that I dont need to watch but Im sure beginners should watch and a nice kinds big platform and seat.
(BP)
Attached Thumbnails Bought my first Portable Tree Stand.-dsc01458.jpg  
Old 10-12-2012, 05:17 PM
Typical Buck

You westerners don't have enough trees out there. Us easterners could not survive with a tree stand. I love my climbers and portables. I like to be able to be mobile so that the deer can't pattern me.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

For the past 10 years or so I've used 2-API climbers...They are so comfortable you can nap in them while hunting...I'm scared of heights so the safety belt is attached to the tree from the time I step in until the time I step out...
Old 10-12-2012, 05:34 PM
Spike

I'd go with some ladder sticks, go up alot easier with ratchet straps. I personaly hate those screw in steps.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jsk1968
I have that exact lock-on and love it. Very comfortable and quiet. It has orange plastic washers you put in between the metal parts of the stand. Best lock-on I have, and it's worth every bit of $89 in my opinion.
Thank's, that's the answer I was looking for! I have'nt opened the box yet, my wife connies friend came over with our Lab Pups Sister, and having 2-3 1/2 month old lab pups tearing up my house is no time to check out the stand. They'll be leaving shortly and I'll check it out.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jsk1968
I'd go with some ladder sticks, go up alot easier with ratchet straps. I personaly hate those screw in steps.
Yes I know what you mean, Im no fan of the screw in steps either. Years ago insted of building a ladder for one of my permanents I bought some of the screw in steps, I did so because I could unscrew the last 3 of them when I left because someone was using my stand when I was'nt there even though it was on private property.
Anyway one time I was comming down and I slipped, missed a step by a little and I caught my pants and leg on the next one and ripped a big gash in my meg and ruined my goretex hunting pants. Good thing that's all that happened.
Ladder Sticks are a good way to go, but it'll be enough to carry this stand into some of the places I'll go, some are 2+ miles fom the road and carrying ladder sticks with the stand just would'nt cut it.
Now some would ask why I dis'nt just get a climber.....well we dont have many perfect straight trees here, there are but not where you want to put a stand up, that's what happens anyway. Plus I did use a climber once years ago and I stepped to close to the tree on the platform, and any of you who have ever used a climber know what happens when you do so! Im glad the stand was'nt mine and I only borrowed it and that I only slipped down the tree about 8 feet, but that was enough for me and climbers.
(BP)
Old 10-12-2012, 06:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use a wide variety of portable tree stand and have one from Walmart that looks to be very similar to that one. Careful assm. and adjustment with the exact spacing and using the plastic washers and it will work well and quiet. I broke a plastic washer and had to make a rubber one to replace it as it made a noise every time I moved with out it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.