HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Bought my first Portable Tree Stand. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/373806-bought-my-first-portable-tree-stand.html)

jsk1968 10-14-2012 04:22 PM

Walmart does sell a smaller, light weight lock-on. Under $50. I think that one would do the trick

moridgerunner 10-14-2012 06:49 PM

Another option is to leave it in the general vicinity that you choose to hunt-cover it with some branches-keep it slightly off the ground to keep it from laying in water. That way you don't have to carry it in and out.

VAhuntr 10-15-2012 10:09 AM

I have got several lock on stands that I rarely use anymore. I have found my climber to be much more useful and comfortable. Since I'm comfortable, I hunt longer and am able to sit still much longer.

However, when I hunt out of lock on stands I use either Cranford EZ Steps:

www.ezyclimb.com/treesteps.shtm

Or:

The Treehopper Tree Step Bolts. The Treehopper system allows you to remove & reinstall all your steps much easier and quicker than conventional style steps. I tried these out at the Buckmasters Expo a few years back and was impressed. I will usually combine the step bolts and the Cranford steps.

http://www.treehopperllc.com/catalog...nfo-below.html

Another thing you might want to consider for portability would be the Lone Wolf Climbing Sticks or the Muddy Climbing Sticks. I had a set of the Lone Wolf's but sold them to a friend.

TNHagies 10-15-2012 11:46 AM

I'll admit, for the longest time I wasn't a fan of hang-on stands. But a year or two ago my hunting group started buying a bunch and hanging them. They all use the same bolts so anyone can use them as long as you have the steps. That is a extremely favorable situation in my opinion. Everyone has a pair of steps and they just hunt whichever stand they want.

I do have a Summit Viper Climber and while it is EXTREMELY comfortable and easy to use, I normally hunt deep in the woods and it's just too heavy to carry far. So it normally goes with me on shorter hunts.

I'd prefer to use ladder stands as I feel must more safe in them, but I hunt mainly on public land so that's not feasable.

That being said, many-many years I hunted from the ground, backed up against a tree. I've killed A LOT of deer that way so I think some of this stand envy is more from a hunter's standpoint.

VAhuntr 10-15-2012 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by TNHagies (Post 3991039)
I'll admit, for the longest time I wasn't a fan of hang-on stands. But a year or two ago my hunting group started buying a bunch and hanging them. They all use the same bolts so anyone can use them as long as you have the steps. That is a extremely favorable situation in my opinion. Everyone has a pair of steps and they just hunt whichever stand they want.

I do have a Summit Viper Climber and while it is EXTREMELY comfortable and easy to use, I normally hunt deep in the woods and it's just too heavy to carry far. So it normally goes with me on shorter hunts.

I'd prefer to use ladder stands as I feel must more safe in them, but I hunt mainly on public land so that's not feasable.

That being said, many-many years I hunted from the ground, backed up against a tree. I've killed A LOT of deer that way so I think some of this stand envy is more from a hunter's standpoint.

A good set of padded backpack straps will make that Viper carry much easier.

TNHagies 10-15-2012 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by VAhuntr (Post 3991069)
A good set of padded backpack straps will make that Viper carry much easier.

I have some-and they do help. But I'm only 5'8 130 so when you add the treestand, backpack with all my clothes and such in it and a gun you're talking carrying 65-70 lbs on my back. Not something I care to do on a mile/mile and a half hike back to where I'm going.

VAhuntr 10-15-2012 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by TNHagies (Post 3991087)
I have some-and they do help. But I'm only 5'8 130 so when you add the treestand, backpack with all my clothes and such in it and a gun you're talking carrying 65-70 lbs on my back. Not something I care to do on a mile/mile and a half hike back to where I'm going.

You might check on a waist/kidney style belt that might help take some weight off your shoulders.

Breechplug 10-15-2012 05:28 PM

I took the stand back to Wal-Mart tonight, it just was'nt practicle for what I needed to use it for. It did come with it's own padded backpack straps, yet it weighed 29lbs. I am a Big guy, 6'6" and 240 but carrying that much along with my Bow or MLer and all the rest I bring with me just would'nt cut it.
Im going to Dicks Sporting Goods tomorrow to look for something that suits me.
(BP)