Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
What Age were You when it started to Change how you Hunted? >

What Age were You when it started to Change how you Hunted?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What Age were You when it started to Change how you Hunted?

Old 10-11-2012, 05:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I'll be 66 soon. I also am a diabetic on inslin for a couple years now. I stopped bow hunting a few years back when My hunting partner died. Just not the same bow hunting and no one to share the day with that under stands.
As for the rest of deer season I rarely miss a day hunting. I am very picky usally have the buck picked out long before the season starts. I cut my own fire wood and hand split it for the house and deer camp. Me and my remaining dog goes for a long walk every morning and evening. I shoot more critters with my camera than any thing else. I carry a camera in my truck too, makes my hunting season all year long.

Al
Old 10-12-2012, 05:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll try and sum this up a little better.....I like hunting the colder weather and the rut for bow season. Since our bow season started 2 weeks earlier this year I'd still be waiting for the opener and doing stuff around the yard to get ready for winter, wich Im still doing. Once the beginning of november rolls around you wont catch me anywhere but in my tree stand, I love the rut.
Once rifle season opens in the 3 week of november I'll also be out every day (execpt in the pouring rain) with my MLer in hand. I'll still drag out my own deer and refuse the 4 wheeler and enjoy the company of others and fill my freezer.
Nothing gets me more pumped up than seeing a nice big set of buck tracks in the new fallen snow when temps are close to Zero.
(BP)
Old 10-12-2012, 05:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll try and sum this up a little better.....I like hunting the colder weather and the rut for bow season. Since our bow season started 2 weeks earlier this year I'd still be waiting for the opener and doing stuff around the yard to get ready for winter, wich Im still doing. Once the beginning of november rolls around you wont catch me anywhere but in my tree stand, I love the rut.
Once rifle season opens in the 3 week of november I'll also be out every day (execpt in the pouring rain) with my MLer in hand. I'll still drag out my own deer and refuse the 4 wheeler and enjoy the company of others and fill my freezer.
Nothing gets me more pumped up than seeing a nice big set of buck tracks in the new fallen snow when temps are close to Zero.
(BP)
Old 10-12-2012, 01:32 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by alleyyooper
I'll be 66 soon. I also am a diabetic on inslin for a couple years now. I stopped bow hunting a few years back when My hunting partner died. Just not the same bow hunting and no one to share the day with that under stands.
As for the rest of deer season I rarely miss a day hunting. I am very picky usally have the buck picked out long before the season starts. I cut my own fire wood and hand split it for the house and deer camp. Me and my remaining dog goes for a long walk every morning and evening. I shoot more critters with my camera than any thing else. I carry a camera in my truck too, makes my hunting season all year long.

Al
You have a great attitude. I remember years ago when I lived up North, getting up in the morning and getting into the woods, sitting under a tree and just watching the activity around me. Grouse walking by, a fox or deer just rambling through the woods. It's worth more than anything to be able to see these things. Your blessed if you get the opportunity.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:04 PM
Spike

Welli turned 50 last April and up until this year I too had never missed an opening day of Bowseason but this year I had t admit to my self that my shoulders just would not let me bow hunt any longer! : (
I have just totaly wore them out as you see, sence I was 15 I have shot archery every day of my life thats right I had made it a habit to shoot at least 1 hr. every day. I use to shot Pro many a year ago. NOW I am going to get me a crossbow as it is now leag. here in my state he whole archery season. : )
Getting me a Barnet BUCK COMMANDER 365 fps. WOW
But as we get OLDER we have to slow down well just a little. LOL
Old 10-12-2012, 03:50 PM
Fork Horn

In my second (current) marriage, we had 3 kids in the first 5 years. I went from hunting everything all the time, to one, maybe two long weekend to 5 day hunts a year. I am 48, and generally feel like crap most of the time, but I would feel a WHOLE LOT BETTER if I spent more time in the field
Old 10-12-2012, 04:21 PM
Typical Buck

I had my eccalibur all ready to go last year never used it noting even strung and our season is 6 weeks old. No place to hunt no one to hunt with any more. I think I will sell it all. Gun season coming I cant even get interested. My get up and go just got up and left.

Last edited by Johnmorris; 10-13-2012 at 09:24 AM.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

16 years old

Last edited by Gm54-120; 10-12-2012 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Oops you said Slack Off
Old 10-12-2012, 06:37 PM
Dominant Buck

When I was young, I could hardly sleep when deer season opening day approached. And I used to hunt as hard as my work would let me. Then after I retired, I spent a lot of time hunting everything. I have a great friend that used to hunt with me, ride wheeler, go fishing, etc.. but he had a stroke. And after he stopped hunting, I kind of lost the love of it. I still went, but really did not care if I got anything. And if the weather was bad, then I just went home. Then the mass deer herd shooting started in the State and soon there were no deer in my area hardly. Then I really lost interest. I would wait for a good snow and try to walk one up. But with the knees going out more often, and other health issues.. I really have lost the drive. I still enjoy hunting, but now on my terms.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Loosing a hunting, fishing and just plain good friend is tramitic. In my case it effected my fishing and bow hunting, I just don't go, or much. The love of being out doors and seeing wild life has kept me in the firearm mode of deer hunting even in the rain and wet sticky snows. I have 4 of these on our UPPER deer camp for those nasty days.

Just put on a slicker, tuck in the rifle, camera still and movie underneath and climb up in the blind after a short walk. My father in law who stopped hunting when his partner died (his dad) enjoyed the movies and thought it was neat to see the deer laying under a bush down range stand and shake the water off like a dog, turn around and lay back down.

I have two of these in the back yard and woods at home in the Lower. I have a third in the front yard too.

Then there are the 3 portable ones I can set up when I get access to a parcel to hunt. I hardly use the Ameristeps any longer zippers tend to freeze up in a rain followed by a cold snap or a wet sticky snow then a freeze.

One I took to a canvase shop and had them install a flap over all the zippers. Cost almost as much as the blind to have just one done.

Al

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.