Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Lyman Trade Rifle, new lube, new cast ball >

Lyman Trade Rifle, new lube, new cast ball

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Lyman Trade Rifle, new lube, new cast ball

Old 10-01-2012, 06:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thats some fine shooting. That gun deserves to hunt deer.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:40 PM
Spike

I don't mind the smell and 6 shot groups with all holes touching at 100 yards is incredible. The problem is I have to swab between every shot to get that kind of accuracy otherwise it is a real bear to get that follow up load down the barrel. I think an olive oil patch might just slide down a little easier? No?
Old 10-01-2012, 06:52 PM
Dominant Buck

Screamin... I am not sure olive oil would load any easier. Fouling is caused by many reason. And all rifles are different in that area. Also if I had a rifle that grouped all shots touching at 100 yards with ballistol, that is what I would be shooting. Stink and all.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Also if I had a rifle that grouped all shots touching at 100 yards with ballistol, that is what I would be shooting. Stink and all.
Amen to that.

I tend to swab between shots most all of the time regardless of conditions. But when the humidity is high (which is often in my neck of the woods) I've been able to go ten or fifteen shots without swabbing using olive oil. Probably could have done the same with about any lube on those days though.

I liked olive oil a lot and used it for quite some time. But my patch lube of choice for the last two years has been Liquid Wrench.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:07 PM
Spike

cayugad.... well maybe I should try a .020 patch instead of the .023 cotton duck. The .023 compresses to .020, .018 pillow tick compresses to .016, quite possibly .020 will compresses to .018? I'd actually be happy with 2" groups if it was easier to load. The ballistics are only good for 125 yards any way so a 2" group should accomplish that.

BY the way, this years deer went down at 115 yards, my first muzzy deer. He turned to the right at the shot. I caught the right ham up threw the middle and out the right side of the left shoulder. The liver was completely exploded but he did manage to stumble another 75 yards before falling over. In spite of catching the ham meat damage was minimal. I'm impressed tho with the 54's ability thats for sure.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:09 PM
Spike

I liked olive oil a lot and used it for quite some time. But my patch lube of choice for the last two years has been Liquid Wrench.
No kidding! What kind of benefits have you noticed Semisane?
Old 10-01-2012, 07:19 PM
Dominant Buck

Semisane and because of your accomplishments with Liquid Wrench I went and purchased some to try. I had OK.. results. Not better then moosemilk or dishwater. But this olive oil really got me excited today.

screamin what make rifle you shooting and what size ball?
Old 10-01-2012, 07:19 PM
Fork Horn

Cayugad,
I happened to notice the secret to your success today and the new balls It may have been due to the EXTRA VIRGIN olive oil. I can't believe the fellows didn't notice. I believe the extra virgin olive oil cause tight hole...dang I meant groups... Great shooting. I know it is a pleasure to load and shoot a rifle that accurate especially with the loads that you basically made. Congrats and hang on tight to that extra virgin...
Old 10-01-2012, 07:22 PM
Dominant Buck

You know it was exciting Slow Burn. As I was shooting I commented to myself, I made the ball, I use basically a chunk of cotton pillow tick, and now just a good oil with black powder. I mean that is pretty basic shooting there.

Screaming, the reason I am not a good long distance shooter is I find problems with focus. I can see the sights, but then the target is fuzzy. Or the target is good, but the front sight is fuzzy. To grow old and have your eyes slowly get older... I am sure that has a lot to do with it. One reason I mounted scopes on so many of my rifles.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:26 PM
Spike

Here's a 50 yarder I had laying around. This was the initial load work up.
Attached Thumbnails Lyman Trade Rifle, new lube, new cast ball-50-yrds.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.