HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Gun weight (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/373141-gun-weight.html)

Oneofthesedays 09-28-2012 06:14 AM

Gun weight

My new TC Triumph arrived last night(after I had come back from the range). Wow the thing seems light as a feather compared to my Rem MLS. Might not get a chance to shoot it til this weekend. Question is.
Will that light weight translate to more kick? I can handle kick because nothing kicks like a .12 gauge with 3 slugs. Just want to know what to expect. Powder will be 90 grains of Black Mag

Muley Hunter 09-28-2012 06:25 AM

Lighter weight will always have more felt recoil.

oldsmellhound 09-28-2012 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter (Post 3983870)
Lighter weight will always have more felt recoil.

+1. Although the design of the stock, how it fits you, the presence or absence of a recoil pad all make a difference as well.

With 90 grains of powder, I really wouldn't worry about it, unless you are shooting a 500 grain conical :)

sabotloader 09-28-2012 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Oneofthesedays (Post 3983864)
My new TC Triumph arrived last night(after I had come back from the range). Wow the thing seems light as a feather compared to my Rem MLS. Might not get a chance to shoot it til this weekend. Question is.
Will that light weight translate to more kick? I can handle kick because nothing kicks like a .12 gauge with 3 slugs. Just want to know what to expect. Powder will be 90 grains of Black Mag

With mine I really did not notice a lot of difference between the Remington 700ml and the Triumph. The Triumph does come with the higher grade recoil pad. So it really might be close to the same especially with 90 grains.

Enjoy, your new one - the bore will probably be a bit tighter than the Rem which might cause you some problems. Be sure to clean the bore with a good solvent it comes with some type of copper bore grease in it. It is heavy stuff.

cayugad 09-28-2012 07:00 AM

While a lighter weight rifle VS a heavier with identical loads, normally produces more kick with the lighter weight, you have to take into the fit of the rifle. I have a light weight rifle that fits me perfect and even with a stout load there is little to no recoil. I don't think you will notice that MUCH more of a kick. But keep us posted. And congratulations on your new rifle. How you going to dress it?

Muley Hunter 09-28-2012 07:14 AM

I agree the design of the stock has a lot to do with what you feel.

My MR is much more friendly in felt recoil than the Wolf was. They both weigh the same, and have the same recoil pad.

However, the MR would feel even better if it was 2 lbs heavier. More weigh will always have less recoil.

Oneofthesedays 09-28-2012 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by cayugad (Post 3983887)
While a lighter weight rifle VS a heavier with identical loads, normally produces more kick with the lighter weight, you have to take into the fit of the rifle. I have a light weight rifle that fits me perfect and even with a stout load there is little to no recoil. I don't think you will notice that MUCH more of a kick. But keep us posted. And congratulations on your new rifle. How you going to dress it?

Thanks guy! After much deliberation I ordered Bushnell Elite 3200 Matte 3-9x40 DOA 600 from Natchez. Should be here next week.
Cant wait to get it mounted and shoot it.:)

sabotloader 09-28-2012 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Oneofthesedays (Post 3983929)
Thanks guy! After much deliberation I ordered Bushnell Elite 3200 Matte 3-9x40 DOA 600 from Natchez. Should be here next week.
Cant wait to get it mounted and shoot it.:)

Excellent scope I have 4 of them - they work very well and the Rain Guard lens are great in the wet weather. I know they are an overkill for a muzzleloader - most would use a 250 DOA, but the 3200 is a stronger scope.

When sighting in if you use a 3" PBR you can use the main crosshair in the scope on any power to almost 200 yards...

newton29 09-28-2012 01:31 PM

I have a 54 cal. T/C Thunder Hawk that weighs almost nothing. With 90 gr. of Pyrodex, and a 425 gr. hollow point, it beats me to death at the range. I never felt the recoil in the field, after hunting with it for 15+ years, until last year when the scope bit me. It was a longer shot than I normally take, and I think I concentrated more on trigger squeeze and less on holding the rifle firmly. Just hold on to it and you will be ok.

bronko22000 09-28-2012 01:46 PM

Congrats on the new gun. Keep us posted how it shoots.