Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Let's Build A Gun

Old 09-25-2012, 08:08 PM
Spike

an absolutely amazing awesome job!!!!
Old 09-26-2012, 02:00 AM
Spike

Very impressive.. great looking under hammer.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:51 AM
Typical Buck

Well done my friend, the finished product turned out better than I imagined. CVA might be contacting you any day for an open position in R.D. dept
Old 09-26-2012, 03:50 AM
Typical Buck

Very nice work. It must be satisfying to see it all come together.

Do we get a range report or will this be a wall hanger?
Old 09-26-2012, 05:31 AM
Fork Horn

Absolutly Beautiful...Congratulations
Old 09-26-2012, 06:47 AM
Typical Buck

Semisane, if you don't mind me asking, how much did your gun build cost?
Old 09-26-2012, 06:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I took the time to read it carefully this morning Semi. Very nice job and excellent story and documentation. I hope you don't mind if I ask one question. Is the steel you used to mill that breech block out of just regular mild steel or is it harder. Maybe mild steel is all that is needed there because the pressure seems like it should be confined to the barrel and that short flame channel.
I commend you for your hard work and patience. I'm looking forward to seeing how it shoots!
Old 09-26-2012, 07:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Don't mind you asking at all Chaded. Because I used a barrel I've had laying around for years the parts for the build cost me right around $200. If I had bought a new Green Mountain .54 caliber round ball barrel for it the cost would have been about $350.

Those figures don't include the $100 I blew on engraving the side plates, or the taps, dies, and drill bits I had to buy because I didn't have those sizes on hand. Then there was sandpaper for the metal and wood finishing, and a quart of tung oil for the stock. I didn't keep track of those costs (because I didn't want to know ).

Anyway, here's the parts list I did track.

EDIT: I just noticed the list shows no cost for the front ramrod pipe and ramrod. I ended up buying a connecting nut for about two bucks to fabricate the pipe, and a 1/4" brass rod for the ramrod. The only place locally I could find brass rod long enough was an industrial supplier that had a $25 minimum purchase requirement. So I ended up buying two twelve foot long rods for $26.50. So now I have enough to make brass rods for any and all additional barrels I make for the gun.

Flounder, the breech block is just plain mild steel. I have no concern there with regard to strength. In fact, Bronko suggested I consider using a good grade of aluminum for the block. I have no doubt that would work just fine also so long as the bronze bushings are used for the striker guides. Aluminum would probably be easier to work with too. If I build a pistol I may give aluminum a try.

Last edited by Semisane; 09-26-2012 at 07:42 AM.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:53 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks Semi, you forgot the labor cost though.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

Chaded, if I added in labor and planning time the customer base would be limited to guys like Donald Trump.

On the other hand, my wife says my labor time isn't worth squat. She's probably right. It was more like recreation than labor anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.