Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Why?????????

Old 09-26-2012, 06:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Semisane
You take that back Sabotloader. I ain't never fouled your dang barrel!
OK...OK bus I do shoot a semi fouled bore -jis not by Semi - iz dat bettar

I'll use that as a disclaimer...
Old 09-27-2012, 06:29 AM
Fork Horn

Sooooo, this past monday when I was having all of this trouble, I ended my shooting session with a dead zero and all I did was run a dry patch down the barrel, that's it. Anyhow, I went back out this morning with that fouled barrel and shot a 2" group around and in the bulls eye!!!!!!! That may sound Okie dokie but I want a gun that will hit where I am aiming EVERYTIME!!!!!!!! Is there such a gun???? You see, I'm not what some of you would call a recreational shooter but a hunter and I want accuracy from the first shot to the tenth. Does that make any sence. Talk to me!!!!
Old 09-27-2012, 06:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Try it without the dry patch. What was the purpose of that anyway?

Make sure it's not zeroed with a cold barrel. As cold as your first shot.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:41 AM
Fork Horn

It's a little late for more shooting. The season opens on Saturday and runs for two weeks. I'll have my mess together for next year for sure. BTW, the reason that I ran a dry patch was to get some of the fouling out of the barrel. She gets very difficult to load after about 4 or 5 shots. I did the same thing this morning that I did on Monday, one dry patch. I'm not going to change anything for this season unless you have any ideas Muley Hunter.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm surprised that it gets hard to load. BH almost feels like a lube in my guns, and gets easier to load. I've shot up to 50 shots with no swabbing. Others have done more.

If I was you, and didn't have anymore range time. You know your gun is dead on after a shot or two. I'd go anywhere I can take a couple of shots, and fire them. Don't touch the bore, and load it. Then go hunting.

You have to be positive that your gun isn't zeroed with a hot barrel though. If not. Even with a fouled barrel it will be off on the first shot.

What you should have done on your range sessions is leave the barrel fouled, and then on the next range session see how the first shot fired. That would simulate a hunt.

Not sure what else to suggest? You're running out of time.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Bigtimer
It's a little late for more shooting. The season opens on Saturday and runs for two weeks. I'll have my mess together for next year for sure. BTW, the reason that I ran a dry patch was to get some of the fouling out of the barrel. She gets very difficult to load after about 4 or 5 shots. I did the same thing this morning that I did on Monday, one dry patch. I'm not going to change anything for this season unless you have any ideas Muley Hunter.
Ray, just switch from the HPH-24 to the 3P or Harvester Crush Rib and your problems with that bore should go away...
Old 09-27-2012, 08:34 AM
Fork Horn

Just drove over to the range and shot a 2" group. The first shot was right in there. I'm not touching it till the season ends in two weeks. Mike, where can I order these 3P sabots and have them shipped overnight? Nevermind buddy, I just ordered them straight from MMP!!!!

Last edited by Bigtimer; 09-27-2012 at 08:43 AM.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Bigtimer
Just drove over to the range and shot a 2" group. The first shot was right in there. I'm not touching it till the season ends in two weeks. Mike, where can I order these 3P sabots and have them shipped overnight? Nevermind buddy, I just ordered them straight from MMP!!!!
That is where I get them... I wish I knew you were going to call them I would have called Connie and have her give you a bad time... She loves a good joke...
Old 09-27-2012, 09:18 AM
Fork Horn

I hear ya Mike!!!! Thank you guys for all the help.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:26 AM
Banned

replacing a barrel because its 4" high on a cold clean recently oiled barrel is plain silly.

Use some carb cleaner, rubbing alcohol, gun scrubber and remove the oil from the bore first. It could be that your sabot combo is slightly to small and simply wants a tighter fit and the fouled bore gives it the perfect fit.