HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   The new 50 caliber Knight Mountaineer Ultra-Lite (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/372920-new-50-caliber-knight-mountaineer-ultra-lite.html)

Grouse45 09-22-2012 07:50 PM

The new 50 caliber Knight Mountaineer Ultra-Lite

I finnaly got the new Ulta-Lite to play with. I thought this was gonna be tough to talk about since i own a custom NULA from http://www.newultralight.com/HTML/mz.html

Its not really fair to compare a Knight Production Muzzleloader to a custom NULA but i will anyway.

1-Knight did an excellant job with the stock. Its made out of Kevlar like the NULA but its not slippery. The Nula stock is slippery to me and i really appreciate the new Knight Ultra-Lite stock much better.

2-The barrel on the Knight Ultra-Lite is stainless. The NULA Muzzleloader only comes with blued barrels. The stainless is a huge up grade for me in the nasty weather i hunt in, in Pennsylvania and Ohio.

3-The bolts are equal in quality, but the Knight bolt is 50 times easier to load the primer into. The NULA bolt is a tad smoother to work, but the Knight is pretty smooth.

4-The Knight ram rod is wayyyyyyyyyy better then the one that comes with the NULA. The NULA has the worst rod on any ML i have ever used. I dont use either and replace the factory rods with Knight Power rods.

5-Triggers in my opinion are very close. The NULA is a tad smoother right now.

6- Accuracy at 100 yards so far the NULA is slightly better. At 200 yards the Knight is slightly better. Not really a fair comparison yet because both guns werent tested for accuracy with the same bullets. I also didnt try any other combinations with the Knight.

7- Both Muzzleloaders do not have open sights. Both ML'S pull up very well with scopes on them for me.

8- The NULA is 1 pound lighter scoped ready to hunt. The Knight scoped ready to hunt weighs right at 7 3/4 pounds.

9-The breech plugs are equal but the Knight plug is better made in my opinion only. I believe it will handle higher peek pressure in the case of a double load or a big mistake is made. I will verify this in the future. Right now my opinion only.

10- The Knight is half the price of the NULA, i dont think you need me to figure out the rest.

All Targets were shot with 120grns by volume of BH209.

The target below was 3 shots at 100 yards with the 250grn Bloodline and Harvester sabots.

The target below is the same load at 200 yards.

This target below was shot at 100 yards with the 300grn Bloodlines and the supplied sabots.

This target below was shot at 200 yards with the same 300grn Bloodline and supplied sabots.

As you can see i didnt really spend any time trying to develope a good load. I just shot 120grns of BH209 by volume and two bullets. The accuracy with both bullets is good enough for me to take this gun to Colorado in October. Im hoping to shoot my first Bull Elk with the new Mountaineer Ultra Lite.:s4:

1874sharpsshooter 09-22-2012 07:58 PM

Great review and it sounds like It's a great gun. I sure would like to handle one and see how it feels. Maybe Cabelas will get some in. Of course you could stop by on your way to Colorado and let me shoot it
:s4:I

chaded 09-22-2012 08:09 PM

That is a nice looking gun. I to hope Cabelas gets them in stock. Also, what base are you using on it?

cayugad 09-22-2012 08:23 PM

A very nice looking rifle Grouse. For not a lot of charge experimentation that is good shooting.

Grouse45 09-22-2012 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by chaded (Post 3981394)
That is a nice looking gun. I to hope Cabelas gets them in stock. Also, what base are you using on it?

The base is made by Lehigh for Knights. I'm not sure that Knight has agreed to sale them or want them yet. It's actually to high for what I like but I'm going to keep it on for now.

chaded 09-22-2012 09:00 PM

I like it. I would want it lower too but it looks pretty good and solid. Is Knight going to come out in any other calibers with the UL?

Grouse45 09-22-2012 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by chaded (Post 3981403)
I like it. I would want it lower too but it looks pretty good and solid. Is Knight going to come out in any other calibers with the UL?

I sure hope a 1/20 twist 45 caliber.

chaded 09-22-2012 09:08 PM

That was pretty much what I was curious about lol.

ronlaughlin 09-23-2012 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by Grouse45 (Post 3981405)
I sure hope a 1/20 twist 45 caliber.

I sure hope not, because if so, i will be $1000 poorer, and own one.

Muley Hunter 09-23-2012 04:46 AM

What bullet are you planning on shooting in Colorado?

1874sharpsshooter 09-23-2012 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin (Post 3981421)
I sure hope not, because if so, i will be $1000 poorer, and own one.

You and me both . :s4:

Grouse45 09-23-2012 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter (Post 3981430)
What bullet are you planning on shooting in Colorado?

Probably the 250grn Bloodline.

Muley Hunter 09-23-2012 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by Grouse45 (Post 3981441)
Probably the 250grn Bloodline.

This is a sabot? From my thread you should know you can't use less then a 50cal bullet. It's the problem I ran into when thinking about using a 50 cal sabot. No way to do it.

Maybe the 52 cal Knight makes? Would that be a 50cal bullet?

Grouse45 09-23-2012 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter (Post 3981444)
This is a sabot? From my thread you should know you can't use less then a 50cal bullet. It's the problem I ran into when thinking about using a 50 cal sabot. No way to do it.

Maybe the 52 cal Knight makes? Would that be a 50cal bullet?

Your telling me I can't use a sabot in rifle season?

flounder33 09-23-2012 06:18 AM

From the Colorado Game Laws

3. MUZZLELOA DING RIFLES
& SMOO THBO RE MUSKE TS
a. Only legal muzzleloaders allowed in muzzleloading
seasons.
b. In-line muzzleloaders are legal.
c. Must be single-barrel that fires a single round-ball or
conical projectile.
d. To hunt deer, pronghorn or bear, they must be minimum
of .40 caliber.
e. To hunt elk or moose, they must be minimum of .50
caliber.
f. From .40 caliber to .50 caliber, bullets must weigh minimum 170 grains.
g. If greater than .50 caliber, bullets must weigh minimum 210 grains.
h. Shotshell primers are legal.
i. Pelletized powder systems prohibited in muzzleloading seasons.
j. Cannot be loaded from the breech in muzzleloading seasons.
k. Only open or iron sights allowed in muzzleloading seasons. Fiber optics
and fluorescent paint incorporated into or on open or iron sights are
legal. Scopes or any sighting device using artificial light, batteries and
electronic gear are prohibited during muzzleloading seasons.
l. Sabots are prohibited in muzzleloading seasons. Cloth patches are not
sabots.
m. Smokeless powder prohibited in muzzleloading seasons. Black powder
and black-powder substitutes are legal.
n. Electronic or battery-powered devices cannot be incorporated into or

attached to muzzleloader during muzzleloading season.

It says sabots are prohibited during muzzleloader season so I would think you would be fine during rifle season for sure.

Muley Hunter 09-23-2012 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Grouse45 (Post 3981454)
Your telling me I can't use a sabot in rifle season?

I called the DOW and I wanted to be sure I was clear. The normal restrictions for muzzleloader season don't carry over to the rifle season except one. The 50cal minimum for elk also applies for using a ML in rifle season.

You can use a scope, pellets and sabots. Even smokeless powder in rifle season, but your bullet can's be smaller than 50cal.

I know it's stupid, but that's the law.

Grouse45 09-23-2012 06:50 AM

The rules clearly say you can use a 50cal Muzzleloader and a 250grn Saboted bullet in rifle season. Thanks Flounder33

chaded 09-23-2012 06:51 AM

I'm not sure of what combination there is that allows you to shoot a .50 cal bullet with a sabot?

1874sharpsshooter 09-23-2012 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by chaded (Post 3981478)
I'm not sure of what combination there is that allows you to shoot a .50 cal bullet with a sabot?

a .54 Knight MK 85 would allow you to shoot a 50 cal bullet in a sabot. .

I wonder how them 50 cal Lehigh DOA bullets would shoot in a .54. I might have to try them sometime and see and if they would work in a sabot.

Gm54-120 09-23-2012 06:54 AM

If i didn't already have a NULA i would really consider the Knight Ultra Light. Mine is actually a 26" barrel and has a slightly heavier contour than the standard Melvin spec build. You cant really compare the two since Melvin will build them to your specs including LOP and the other options like a Jewell trigger.

Im still in the market for a faster twist 45 that weighs close to my NULA. My Savage Pacnor 45 is a heavy beast but it convinced me a 1-22 twist works great. Its just a terrible platform for a Ultra Light build.

BTW i love that scope base. I think ive seen it somewhere before. :D

Gm54-120 09-23-2012 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter (Post 3981480)
a .54 Knight MK 85 would allow you to shoot a 50 cal bullet in a sabot. .

They sure do and my DISC based GMB54-120 shoots a 50cal bullet great. Its still my favorite gun for shots out to 100 yards. The MK85 54cal was fairly light too even with the standard length barrel.

I should have never sold my NIB MK85 SS 54cal to the guy that never did a range report or even fired it. :s8:

chaded 09-23-2012 07:00 AM

If you look on page 12 of the Colorado DNR Big Game regulations brochure it shows a chart of what you can and can't use for the different seasons.

http://wildlife.state.co.us/SiteColl...me/biggame.pdf

Muley Hunter 09-23-2012 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Grouse45 (Post 3981477)
The rules clearly say you can use a 50cal Muzzleloader and a 250grn Saboted bullet in rifle season. Thanks Flounder33

I'm not guessing, and the rules don't say that. Ignorance will not get you out of the fine and loss of points. Show me where it says you can use less than a 50cal bullet for elk in the laws? You can use a 50cal sabot for deer. Not elk.

Call the DOW and find out for yourself.

1-303-297-1192

1874sharpsshooter 09-23-2012 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Gm54-120 (Post 3981481)
If i didn't already have a NULA i would really consider the Knight Ultra Light. .. :D

you should consider the ultra light to go with your NULA. You might as well have both.:D:D one for blackpowder, one for smokeless.

1874sharpsshooter 09-23-2012 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Gm54-120 (Post 3981485)
They sure do and my DISC based GMB54-120 shoots a 50cal bullet great. Its still my favorite gun for shots out to 100 yards. The MK85 54cal was fairly light too even with the standard length barrel.

I should have never sold my NIB MK85 SS 54cal to the guy that never did a range report or even fired it. :s8:

I could post a pic of it I guess, but as far as a range report,.... well, it's still a virgin.:D

sabotloader 09-23-2012 07:24 AM

Grouse

This comes from the Colorado regualations. As I read the regulations During Rifle Season.. the rule states.... And as you look further down the regulations you can see the specific regulations for Muzzleloading Season. The rules for the 2 season are different... They make a point of saying.... During the muzzle-loading firearm seasons for deer, elk, pronghorn, bear, and moose the following additional restrictions apply:

#203 - MANNER OF TAKE

See also #000 in Chapter 0 of these regulations for other applicable manner of take definitions.

A. The following are legal methods of take for all species and seasons listed in this chapter, except as otherwise noted. Any method of take not listed herein shall be prohibited, except as otherwise provided by statute or these regulations:

1. Rifles using center fire cartridges of .24 caliber or larger, having expanding bullets of at least seventy (70) grains in weight, except for elk and moose where the minimum bullet weight is eighty-five (85) grains, and with a rated impact energy one hundred (100) yards from the muzzle of at least one thousand (1000) foot pounds as determined by the manufacturer's rating providing that any semiautomatic rifle used shall not hold more than six (6) rounds in the magazine and chamber combined. A fully automatic rifle is prohibited.

2. Muzzle-loading rifles and smoothbore muskets, provided the minimum caliber shall be forty (.40) for all big game except elk and moose. The minimum caliber for elk and moose shall be fifty (.50). All muzzle-loading rifles and smoothbore muskets from forty (.40) caliber through fifty (.50) caliber must use a bullet of at least 170 grains in weight. All muzzle-loading rifles and smoothbore muskets greater than fifty (.50) caliber must use bullets of at least 210 grains in weight.

a. During the muzzle-loading firearms seasons for deer, elk, pronghorn, bear, and moose only lawful muzzle-loaders and smoothbore muskets may be used by muzzle-loading license holders.

b. During the muzzle-loading firearm seasons for deer, elk, pronghorn, bear, and moose the following additional restrictions apply:

1. Propellent/Powders: The use of pelletized powder systems and smokeless powder are prohibited.

2. Projectiles: Sabots are prohibited. For the purposes of this regulation cloth patches are not sabots.

3. Loading: Firearms must load from the muzzle. Firearms which can be loaded from the breech are prohibited.

4. Sights: Any muzzle-loading rifle or smoothbore musket with any sighting device other than open or "iron" sights is prohibited.

5. Electronic or battery-powered devices cannot be incorporated into or attached to the muzzle-loading firearm.

Gm54-120 09-23-2012 07:26 AM

1874sharpsshooter

The NULA works fine with BH209 also but im actually kinda bored with 50cal sub guns. I only bought the NULA because i got a smokin good deal and my Savage is too heavy for my tastes. After i bought it though i called Melvin about getting a 45cal but he wont make them in 45cal anymore. I was and still am amazed at the quality.

I just love Ultra Lights and Brush Guns for hunting. I have a huge appreciation for them in the field. The only thing im missing is one in 45cal with a fast twist unless i cut down an Original DISC with a 1-20.

ronlaughlin 09-23-2012 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Grouse45 (Post 3981477)

Yes, i must agree. The regulations posted by flounder33 indicate there are only 2 restrictions on muzzle loaders when used during rifle season for elk. The rifle must be 50 caliber, and the bullet must weigh at least 170g. Those are the only restrictions i read.

It is implicit that sabot are legal to use for elk in a 50 caliber rifle; that is what the regulation is. The regulation specifically indicate that sabot cannot be used during the muzzle loader season. Since sabot are allowed during the rifle season, and since 50 caliber rifle is allowed for elk during rifle season, it follows that a bullet that weighs at least 170g in a sabot is allowed during rifle season. That is what the regulation reads. The caliber of the bullet is only specified during the muzzle loader season.

One additional thing i did notice was smokeless powder is not allowed during muzzle loader season. This means Muley shouldn't have been using BH209 when hunting in the muzzle loader season. This i write, because Muley has long insisted Blackhorn powder is a 'smokeless' powder.

Muley Hunter 09-23-2012 07:32 AM

I thought like most guys that all the laws were waved if you use a ML in rifle season.

Even the guy who answers the phone didn't know the answer. He had to check with the firearms dept. 50cal for elk doesn't change no matter what the season is.

Sabots can be used for elk if it's 54 cal, or maybe the 52 cal. What size bullets do they use?

Also, sabots can be used for deer if the bullet doesn't go under 40cal.

The real question is, will the warden know what's legal? I'm not willing to take the chance.

1874sharpsshooter 09-23-2012 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by sabotloader (Post 3981497)
Grouse

This comes from the Colorado regualations. As I read the regulations During Rifle Season.. the rule states.... And as you look further down the regulations you can see the specific regulations for Muzzleloading Season. The rules for the 2 season are different... They make a point of saying.... During the muzzle-loading firearm seasons for deer, elk, pronghorn, bear, and moose the following additional restrictions apply:

#203 - MANNER OF TAKE

See also #000 in Chapter 0 of these regulations for other applicable manner of take definitions.

A. The following are legal methods of take for all species and seasons listed in this chapter, except as otherwise noted. Any method of take not listed herein shall be prohibited, except as otherwise provided by statute or these regulations:

1. Rifles using center fire cartridges of .24 caliber or larger, having expanding bullets of at least seventy (70) grains in weight, except for elk and moose where the minimum bullet weight is eighty-five (85) grains, and with a rated impact energy one hundred (100) yards from the muzzle of at least one thousand (1000) foot pounds as determined by the manufacturer's rating providing that any semiautomatic rifle used shall not hold more than six (6) rounds in the magazine and chamber combined. A fully automatic rifle is prohibited.

2. Muzzle-loading rifles and smoothbore muskets, provided the minimum caliber shall be forty (.40) for all big game except elk and moose. The minimum caliber for elk and moose shall be fifty (.50). All muzzle-loading rifles and smoothbore muskets from forty (.40) caliber through fifty (.50) caliber must use a bullet of at least 170 grains in weight. All muzzle-loading rifles and smoothbore muskets greater than fifty (.50) caliber must use bullets of at least 210 grains in weight.

a. During the muzzle-loading firearms seasons for deer, elk, pronghorn, bear, and moose only lawful muzzle-loaders and smoothbore muskets may be used by muzzle-loading license holders.

b. During the muzzle-loading firearm seasons for deer, elk, pronghorn, bear, and moose the following additional restrictions apply:

1. Propellent/Powders: The use of pelletized powder systems and smokeless powder are prohibited.

2. Projectiles: Sabots are prohibited. For the purposes of this regulation cloth patches are not sabots.

3. Loading: Firearms must load from the muzzle. Firearms which can be loaded from the breech are prohibited.

4. Sights: Any muzzle-loading rifle or smoothbore musket with any sighting device other than open or "iron" sights is prohibited.

5. Electronic or battery-powered devices cannot be incorporated into or attached to the muzzle-loading firearm.

looks to me , based on the regs. that a 50 cal gun with at least a 170 gr bullet is legal during rifle season. So a 50 cal with a saboted 250 gr bullet should be fine.

sabotloader 09-23-2012 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin (Post 3981499)
Yes, i must agree. The regulations posted by flounder33 indicate there are only 2 restrictions on muzzle loaders when used during rifle season for elk. The rifle must be 50 caliber, and the bullet must weigh at least 170g. Those are the only restrictions i read.

It is implicit that sabot are legal to use for elk in a 50 caliber rifle; that is what the regulation is. The regulation specifically indicate that sabot cannot be used during the muzzle loader season. Since sabot are allowed during the rifle season, and since 50 caliber rifle is allowed for elk during rifle season, it follows that a bullet that weighs at least 170g in a sabot is allowed during rifle season. That is what the regulation reads. The caliber of the bullet is only specified during the muzzle loader season.

One additional thing i did notice was smokeless powder is not allowed during muzzle loader season. This means Muley shouldn't have been using BH209 when hunting in the muzzle loader season. This i write, because Muley has long insisted Blackhorn powder is a 'smokeless' powder.

Ron & Sharp Shooter - the weight for a 50 is 210 grains as posted in the 2012 regs.

Muley is correct BH is a smokeless based powder, but it has been engineered to meet the standards of a Black Powder substitute powder, as it meters like any other BP sub.

Muley Hunter 09-23-2012 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin (Post 3981499)

Wrong. It says nothing about a 50 cal sabot being legal for elk.

As for BH 209. Colorado tried to make it banned. Just like they did with inlines. They got too much pressure and buckled under.

1874sharpsshooter 09-23-2012 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by sabotloader (Post 3981503)
Ron & Sharp Shooter - the weight for a 50 is 210 grains as posted in the 2012 regs.

it says 40-thru 50 170 gr, greater than 50 is 210 is the way i read it.

Muley Hunter 09-23-2012 07:38 AM

I'm not sure why some of you think that shooting a 50cal sabot, is shooting a 50cal bullet?

The sabot is 50cal. Not the bullet.

1874sharpsshooter 09-23-2012 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter (Post 3981508)
I'm not sure why some of you think that shooting a 50cal sabot, is shooting a 50cal bullet?

who is thinking that? the regs for rifle season state the requirements based on the cal of the gun not the caliber of the bullet.

sabotloader 09-23-2012 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter (Post 3981508)

Muley... there is no size restriction on a ML during Rifle season - there is a projectile weight restriction.

According to the written regulations

Muley Hunter 09-23-2012 07:45 AM

I talked to the DOW. Did you?

A sabot solves my barrel problem. Don't you think i'd use one if it was legal?

It's really simple. Call up the DOW and see for yourself like I did. I'm not guessing at this like you guys. Ask the guys who are going to hand out the fines.

ronlaughlin 09-23-2012 07:47 AM

Muley,

Your hunting problems are solved. You can hunt elk during rifle season with a 195g Barnes pushed by 90g Blackhorn in your new rifle. You will be legal, and will suffer very little recoil.

Muley Hunter 09-23-2012 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by sabotloader (Post 3981515)
Muley... there is no size restriction on a ML during Rifle season - there is a projectile weight restriction.

According to the written regulations

Not true Mike. It has to be a 50cal for elk.

1874sharpsshooter 09-23-2012 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter (Post 3981517)
I talked to the DOW. Did you?

A sabot solves my barrel problem. Don't you think i'd use one if it was legal?

It's really simple. Call up the DOW and see for yourself like I did. I'm not guessing at this like you guys. Ask the guys who are going to hand out the fines.

the written regs are what a person is to go by , they don't expect each person to call the DOW. The written regs seem clear to me. If i was going to colorado during rifle season I see no problem with taking a 50 cal muzzleloader and a saboted 250 gr bullet, according to the regs..