Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
The new 50 caliber Knight Mountaineer Ultra-Lite >

The new 50 caliber Knight Mountaineer Ultra-Lite

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

The new 50 caliber Knight Mountaineer Ultra-Lite

Old 09-23-2012, 07:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Yes, i must agree. The regulations posted by flounder33 indicate there are only 2 restrictions on muzzle loaders when used during rifle season for elk. The rifle must be 50 caliber, and the bullet must weigh at least 170g. Those are the only restrictions i read.

It is implicit that sabot are legal to use for elk in a 50 caliber rifle; that is what the regulation is. The regulation specifically indicate that sabot cannot be used during the muzzle loader season. Since sabot are allowed during the rifle season, and since 50 caliber rifle is allowed for elk during rifle season, it follows that a bullet that weighs at least 170g in a sabot is allowed during rifle season. That is what the regulation reads. The caliber of the bullet is only specified during the muzzle loader season.

One additional thing i did notice was smokeless powder is not allowed during muzzle loader season. This means Muley shouldn't have been using BH209 when hunting in the muzzle loader season. This i write, because Muley has long insisted Blackhorn powder is a 'smokeless' powder.
Ron & Sharp Shooter - the weight for a 50 is 210 grains as posted in the 2012 regs.

Muley is correct BH is a smokeless based powder, but it has been engineered to meet the standards of a Black Powder substitute powder, as it meters like any other BP sub.

Last edited by sabotloader; 09-23-2012 at 07:39 AM.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Yes, i must agree. The regulations posted by flounder33 indicate there are only 2 restrictions on muzzle loaders when used during rifle season for elk. The rifle must be 50 caliber, and the bullet must weigh at least 170g. Those are the only restrictions i read.

It is implicit that sabot are legal to use for elk in a 50 caliber rifle; that is what the regulation is. The regulation specifically indicate that sabot cannot be used during the muzzle loader season. Since sabot are allowed during the rifle season, and since 50 caliber rifle is allowed for elk during rifle season, it follows that a bullet that weighs at least 170g in a sabot is allowed during rifle season. That is what the regulation reads. The caliber of the bullet is only specified during the muzzle loader season.

One additional thing i did notice was smokeless powder is not allowed during muzzle loader season. This means Muley shouldn't have been using BH209 when hunting in the muzzle loader season. This i write, because Muley has long insisted Blackhorn powder is a 'smokeless' powder.
Wrong. It says nothing about a 50 cal sabot being legal for elk.

As for BH 209. Colorado tried to make it banned. Just like they did with inlines. They got too much pressure and buckled under.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:37 AM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by sabotloader
Ron & Sharp Shooter - the weight for a 50 is 210 grains as posted in the 2012 regs.
it says 40-thru 50 170 gr, greater than 50 is 210 is the way i read it.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm not sure why some of you think that shooting a 50cal sabot, is shooting a 50cal bullet?

The sabot is 50cal. Not the bullet.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:40 AM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I'm not sure why some of you think that shooting a 50cal sabot, is shooting a 50cal bullet?

who is thinking that? the regs for rifle season state the requirements based on the cal of the gun not the caliber of the bullet.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Muley... there is no size restriction on a ML during Rifle season - there is a projectile weight restriction.

According to the written regulations
Old 09-23-2012, 07:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

I talked to the DOW. Did you?

A sabot solves my barrel problem. Don't you think i'd use one if it was legal?

It's really simple. Call up the DOW and see for yourself like I did. I'm not guessing at this like you guys. Ask the guys who are going to hand out the fines.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Muley,

Your hunting problems are solved. You can hunt elk during rifle season with a 195g Barnes pushed by 90g Blackhorn in your new rifle. You will be legal, and will suffer very little recoil.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by sabotloader
Muley... there is no size restriction on a ML during Rifle season - there is a projectile weight restriction.

According to the written regulations
Not true Mike. It has to be a 50cal for elk.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:48 AM
1874sharpsshooter

I talked to the DOW. Did you?

A sabot solves my barrel problem. Don't you think i'd use one if it was legal?

It's really simple. Call up the DOW and see for yourself like I did. I'm not guessing at this like you guys. Ask the guys who are going to hand out the fines.
the written regs are what a person is to go by , they don't expect each person to call the DOW. The written regs seem clear to me. If i was going to colorado during rifle season I see no problem with taking a 50 cal muzzleloader and a saboted 250 gr bullet, according to the regs..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.