Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
The new 50 caliber Knight Mountaineer Ultra-Lite >

The new 50 caliber Knight Mountaineer Ultra-Lite

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

The new 50 caliber Knight Mountaineer Ultra-Lite

Old 09-23-2012, 06:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
a .54 Knight MK 85 would allow you to shoot a 50 cal bullet in a sabot. .
They sure do and my DISC based GMB54-120 shoots a 50cal bullet great. Its still my favorite gun for shots out to 100 yards. The MK85 54cal was fairly light too even with the standard length barrel.

I should have never sold my NIB MK85 SS 54cal to the guy that never did a range report or even fired it.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:00 AM
Typical Buck

If you look on page 12 of the Colorado DNR Big Game regulations brochure it shows a chart of what you can and can't use for the different seasons.

http://wildlife.state.co.us/SiteColl...me/biggame.pdf
Old 09-23-2012, 07:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Grouse45
The rules clearly say you can use a 50cal Muzzleloader and a 250grn Saboted bullet in rifle season. Thanks Flounder33
I'm not guessing, and the rules don't say that. Ignorance will not get you out of the fine and loss of points. Show me where it says you can use less than a 50cal bullet for elk in the laws? You can use a 50cal sabot for deer. Not elk.

Call the DOW and find out for yourself.

1-303-297-1192
Old 09-23-2012, 07:08 AM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
If i didn't already have a NULA i would really consider the Knight Ultra Light. ..
you should consider the ultra light to go with your NULA. You might as well have both. one for blackpowder, one for smokeless.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:11 AM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
They sure do and my DISC based GMB54-120 shoots a 50cal bullet great. Its still my favorite gun for shots out to 100 yards. The MK85 54cal was fairly light too even with the standard length barrel.

I should have never sold my NIB MK85 SS 54cal to the guy that never did a range report or even fired it.
I could post a pic of it I guess, but as far as a range report,.... well, it's still a virgin.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

Grouse

This comes from the Colorado regualations. As I read the regulations During Rifle Season.. the rule states.... And as you look further down the regulations you can see the specific regulations for Muzzleloading Season. The rules for the 2 season are different... They make a point of saying.... During the muzzle-loading firearm seasons for deer, elk, pronghorn, bear, and moose the following additional restrictions apply:

#203 - MANNER OF TAKE

See also #000 in Chapter 0 of these regulations for other applicable manner of take definitions.

A. The following are legal methods of take for all species and seasons listed in this chapter, except as otherwise noted. Any method of take not listed herein shall be prohibited, except as otherwise provided by statute or these regulations:

1. Rifles using center fire cartridges of .24 caliber or larger, having expanding bullets of at least seventy (70) grains in weight, except for elk and moose where the minimum bullet weight is eighty-five (85) grains, and with a rated impact energy one hundred (100) yards from the muzzle of at least one thousand (1000) foot pounds as determined by the manufacturer's rating providing that any semiautomatic rifle used shall not hold more than six (6) rounds in the magazine and chamber combined. A fully automatic rifle is prohibited.

2. Muzzle-loading rifles and smoothbore muskets, provided the minimum caliber shall be forty (.40) for all big game except elk and moose. The minimum caliber for elk and moose shall be fifty (.50). All muzzle-loading rifles and smoothbore muskets from forty (.40) caliber through fifty (.50) caliber must use a bullet of at least 170 grains in weight. All muzzle-loading rifles and smoothbore muskets greater than fifty (.50) caliber must use bullets of at least 210 grains in weight.

a. During the muzzle-loading firearms seasons for deer, elk, pronghorn, bear, and moose only lawful muzzle-loaders and smoothbore muskets may be used by muzzle-loading license holders.

b. During the muzzle-loading firearm seasons for deer, elk, pronghorn, bear, and moose the following additional restrictions apply:

1. Propellent/Powders: The use of pelletized powder systems and smokeless powder are prohibited.

2. Projectiles: Sabots are prohibited. For the purposes of this regulation cloth patches are not sabots.

3. Loading: Firearms must load from the muzzle. Firearms which can be loaded from the breech are prohibited.

4. Sights: Any muzzle-loading rifle or smoothbore musket with any sighting device other than open or "iron" sights is prohibited.

5. Electronic or battery-powered devices cannot be incorporated into or attached to the muzzle-loading firearm.

Last edited by sabotloader; 09-23-2012 at 07:27 AM.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

1874sharpsshooter

The NULA works fine with BH209 also but im actually kinda bored with 50cal sub guns. I only bought the NULA because i got a smokin good deal and my Savage is too heavy for my tastes. After i bought it though i called Melvin about getting a 45cal but he wont make them in 45cal anymore. I was and still am amazed at the quality.

I just love Ultra Lights and Brush Guns for hunting. I have a huge appreciation for them in the field. The only thing im missing is one in 45cal with a fast twist unless i cut down an Original DISC with a 1-20.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Grouse45
The rules clearly say you can use a 50cal Muzzleloader and a 250grn Saboted bullet in rifle season. Thanks Flounder33
Yes, i must agree. The regulations posted by flounder33 indicate there are only 2 restrictions on muzzle loaders when used during rifle season for elk. The rifle must be 50 caliber, and the bullet must weigh at least 170g. Those are the only restrictions i read.

It is implicit that sabot are legal to use for elk in a 50 caliber rifle; that is what the regulation is. The regulation specifically indicate that sabot cannot be used during the muzzle loader season. Since sabot are allowed during the rifle season, and since 50 caliber rifle is allowed for elk during rifle season, it follows that a bullet that weighs at least 170g in a sabot is allowed during rifle season. That is what the regulation reads. The caliber of the bullet is only specified during the muzzle loader season.

One additional thing i did notice was smokeless powder is not allowed during muzzle loader season. This means Muley shouldn't have been using BH209 when hunting in the muzzle loader season. This i write, because Muley has long insisted Blackhorn powder is a 'smokeless' powder.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

I thought like most guys that all the laws were waved if you use a ML in rifle season.

Even the guy who answers the phone didn't know the answer. He had to check with the firearms dept. 50cal for elk doesn't change no matter what the season is.

Sabots can be used for elk if it's 54 cal, or maybe the 52 cal. What size bullets do they use?

Also, sabots can be used for deer if the bullet doesn't go under 40cal.

The real question is, will the warden know what's legal? I'm not willing to take the chance.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:32 AM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by sabotloader
Grouse

This comes from the Colorado regualations. As I read the regulations During Rifle Season.. the rule states.... And as you look further down the regulations you can see the specific regulations for Muzzleloading Season. The rules for the 2 season are different... They make a point of saying.... During the muzzle-loading firearm seasons for deer, elk, pronghorn, bear, and moose the following additional restrictions apply:

#203 - MANNER OF TAKE

See also #000 in Chapter 0 of these regulations for other applicable manner of take definitions.

A. The following are legal methods of take for all species and seasons listed in this chapter, except as otherwise noted. Any method of take not listed herein shall be prohibited, except as otherwise provided by statute or these regulations:

1. Rifles using center fire cartridges of .24 caliber or larger, having expanding bullets of at least seventy (70) grains in weight, except for elk and moose where the minimum bullet weight is eighty-five (85) grains, and with a rated impact energy one hundred (100) yards from the muzzle of at least one thousand (1000) foot pounds as determined by the manufacturer's rating providing that any semiautomatic rifle used shall not hold more than six (6) rounds in the magazine and chamber combined. A fully automatic rifle is prohibited.

2. Muzzle-loading rifles and smoothbore muskets, provided the minimum caliber shall be forty (.40) for all big game except elk and moose. The minimum caliber for elk and moose shall be fifty (.50). All muzzle-loading rifles and smoothbore muskets from forty (.40) caliber through fifty (.50) caliber must use a bullet of at least 170 grains in weight. All muzzle-loading rifles and smoothbore muskets greater than fifty (.50) caliber must use bullets of at least 210 grains in weight.

a. During the muzzle-loading firearms seasons for deer, elk, pronghorn, bear, and moose only lawful muzzle-loaders and smoothbore muskets may be used by muzzle-loading license holders.

b. During the muzzle-loading firearm seasons for deer, elk, pronghorn, bear, and moose the following additional restrictions apply:

1. Propellent/Powders: The use of pelletized powder systems and smokeless powder are prohibited.

2. Projectiles: Sabots are prohibited. For the purposes of this regulation cloth patches are not sabots.

3. Loading: Firearms must load from the muzzle. Firearms which can be loaded from the breech are prohibited.

4. Sights: Any muzzle-loading rifle or smoothbore musket with any sighting device other than open or "iron" sights is prohibited.

5. Electronic or battery-powered devices cannot be incorporated into or attached to the muzzle-loading firearm.
looks to me , based on the regs. that a 50 cal gun with at least a 170 gr bullet is legal during rifle season. So a 50 cal with a saboted 250 gr bullet should be fine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.