Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
The new 50 caliber Knight Mountaineer Ultra-Lite >

The new 50 caliber Knight Mountaineer Ultra-Lite

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

The new 50 caliber Knight Mountaineer Ultra-Lite

Old 09-23-2012, 07:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Muley,

Your hunting problems are solved. You can hunt elk during rifle season with a 195g Barnes pushed by 90g Blackhorn in your new rifle. You will be legal, and will suffer very little recoil.
Not true. I wish it was. I'm fine with a 290gr Barnes sabot, and i'd love to use it.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:56 AM
1874sharpsshooter

However a person reads it , all I got to say is take that ultra light and go knock down a big elk there grouse and have fun doing it. I look forward to a report on your trip.
remember lots of pictures.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ok, lets look at this from the DOW's angle.

It says you can use a 50cal gun for elk in ML season. Since they specify that it has to be a full bore bullet, and not a sabot. They are basically saying that you need to use a 50cal gun with a 50cal bullet.

This restriction doesn't change when you hunt the rifle season. Even though sabots are legal in rifle season. The 50cal bullet restriction doesn't change for hunting elk.

It doesn't matter if you don't see it this way. That's how the DOW means it. I was hoping this wasn't true, and that's why I called them. I'm simply passing on to you guys what they said.

The bottom line is always what they say. Even if you don't agree.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:05 AM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter

It says you can use a 50cal gun for elk in ML season. Since they specify that it has to be a full bore bullet, and not a sabot. They are basically saying that you need to use a 50cal gun with a 50cal bullet.

This restriction doesn't change when you hunt the rifle season. Even though sabots are legal in rifle season. The 50cal bullet restriction doesn't change for hunting elk.

It doesn't matter if you don't see it this way. That's how the DOW means it. I was hoping this wasn't true, and that's why I called them. I'm simply passing on to you guys what they said.

I have to disagree. they state the rules then they say :additional regulations for muzzleloader season, so that tells me me muzzleloader rules apply only to muzzy season or they wouldn't be listed as additional rules.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:06 AM
Typical Buck

I don't understand why they would allow sabots during rifle season then and not just keep it at conicals. Okay yeah if you have a .54 cal you can use sabots but that seems to be the minority really and a very small one. So small you would think it would just be easier to just keep it at conicals.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Not true Mike. It has to be a 50cal for elk.
Sorry, you are correct on that point... if it is a Muzzleloader the caliber must be a 50 cal to hunt elk, and the bullet must weigh 210 grain. It does not say the projectile must be 50 cal.

And you are alos correct in that the 195 Barnes would not be legal for elk because it is to light by rule. It would be OK for deer.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
Sorry, you are correct on that point... if it is a Muzzleloader the caliber must be a 50 cal to hunt elk, and the bullet must weigh 210 grain. It does not say the projectile must be 50 cal.

And you are alos correct in that the 195 Barnes would not be legal for elk because it is to light by rule. It would be OK for deer.
That was how I understood it also Pete, but if Muley called the number and they told him that over the phone ....
Old 09-23-2012, 08:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
I have to disagree. they state the rules then they say :additional regulations for muzzleloader season, so that tells me me muzzleloader rules apply only to muzzy season or they wouldn't be listed as additional rules.
That's why they have guys who do nothing but answer the phone. They answer questions that you have about not understanding the regulations.

I thought the bullet was illegal, and when I checked. It wasn't. Do you know how many tickets are handed out from hunters not understanding the laws?

Like I said already. Ignorance will not get you out of a ticket. Grouse can't even claim ignorance. I told him what the DOW said, and he's going to come here and break the law. He might worry about being turned in, and stay legal. Lots of guys read this forum who are Colorado residents who don't like a non resident coming here and breaking our laws. He's going to use a bullet we can't? That doesn't go over well.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

Just as a suggestion - you might call an outfitter in your state - he/she will certainly know the rule.. but from the hunting Brochure that Chaded showed and the written regulations that the state publishes a 250 lehigh/bloodline in a sabot would be legal.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:18 AM
Typical Buck

There are lots of residents that don't like non-residents coming there and shooting "their" elk either lol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.