Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
The new 50 caliber Knight Mountaineer Ultra-Lite >

The new 50 caliber Knight Mountaineer Ultra-Lite

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

The new 50 caliber Knight Mountaineer Ultra-Lite

Old 09-24-2012, 11:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by sabotloader View Post
I agree with what you are saying - you asked and were provided the wrong information.

But, I again as shown by the written regulations the information your were given did not match, that is whay I suggested that you follow up with other sources.
I thought I was given information from the source that should have known. I bet they know now after Dick talked to them.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

I just got this email. I had also asked about a patched ball.

Peter-
The caliber restriction for elk and moose refers to the weapon, not the projectile. My reading of the big game pamphlet was erroneous, and I DID just go check with the appropriate law enforcement and education officials. During a REGULAR RIFLE SEASON, a hunter may utilize sabots in his black-powder weapon PROVIDED that the projectiles meet the minimum weight requirements (170 for deer, pronghorn, or bear, 210 for elk and moose).
Regarding the .50 Hawken, you either shot a true .50 ball out of a slightly larger than .50 barrel or a .49 ball w/patch from a true .50 milled barrel. We are not concerned with projectile diameter because the regulation refers to barrel diameter (referred to as the caliber in this regulation). Read verbatim:
“Muzzle-loading rifles and smoothbore muskets, provided the minimum caliber shall be forty (.40) for all big game except elk and moose. The minimum caliber for elk and moose shall be fifty (.50). All muzzle-loading rifles and smoothbore muskets from forty (.40) caliber through fifty (.50) caliber must use a bullet of at least 170 grains in weight. All muzzle-loading rifles and smoothbore muskets greater than fifty (.50) caliber must use bullets of at least 210 grains in weight.”

Sorry for the confusion, that’s why I went down to check.
Best regards,

RYAN D. RUSCH
Customer Service Representative
COLORADO PARKS AND WILDLIFE
6060 Broadway
Denver CO 80216
303-297-1192
Old 09-24-2012, 11:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

Muley Hunter

Thanks a bunch for posting this communication - I think it will help a lot of people.

I have retained a copy and added it to my archives...
Old 09-24-2012, 11:25 AM
JW
Super Moderator

I also went back and corrected the CO regs post I put up with Muley's info.

Just like here in WI - I can use a Xbow during Rifle Season even when I am not 65 - it don't make sense to me at all. And why would I?

Am using my inline tho!
JW
Old 09-24-2012, 11:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

The deal with the sabots never made sense to me. A 300gr .45 cal bullet will certainly kill an elk.

Even though this wasn't that much fun. I'm glad I did it now. I can use the sabots that I wanted to from the beginning, and my loose spot on the barrel isn't a problem now.

I had pretty much decided to hunt the rifle seasons with the MR from now on. I just don't feel right using a scope in ML season. Now i'm at a slight disadvantage to the rifle hunters. I like that better than some thinking I have an advantage with a scope in ML season.

Now I need to decide which bullet? Barnes, Lehigh, or Dead Center?
Old 09-24-2012, 11:47 AM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter View Post
The deal with the sabots never made sense to me. A 300gr .45 cal bullet will certainly kill an elk.

Even though this wasn't that much fun. I'm glad I did it now. I can use the sabots that I wanted to from the beginning, and my loose spot on the barrel isn't a problem now.

I had pretty much decided to hunt the rifle seasons with the MR from now on. I just don't feel right using a scope in ML season. Now i'm at a slight disadvantage to the rifle hunters. I like that better than some thinking I have an advantage with a scope in ML season.

Now I need to decide which bullet? Barnes, Lehigh, or Dead Center?

You can't go wrong with any of the three bullets you are deciding between. I've taken game with each if them .All three are good

Old 09-24-2012, 11:56 AM
Typical Buck

Not sure what all the trouble was, it is spelled out in the regulations regardless of what some old law was....
Old 09-24-2012, 01:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

It seemed to confuse the law enforcement department. Hopefully, they got it right now.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:53 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter View Post
It seemed to confuse the law enforcement department. Hopefully, they got it right now.
if you get questioned just give them this web address of the thread.

Old 09-24-2012, 04:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

No kidding.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.