Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Knigth Disc models >

Knigth Disc models

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Knigth Disc models

Old 09-20-2012, 04:08 PM
Spike

Default Knigth Disc models

Hi guys

Is someone could tell me the difference between a DISC and a DISC Extreme?

Neither of them is an Elite right?

Thanks, Mart
Old 09-20-2012, 04:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

The original DISC used Orange Jackets (primer holders). The DISC Extreme uses Red Jackets aka FPJs. Neither is an Elite. The Elite has a different recoil lug, no sites and a lighter barrel contour. The Original DISC can be converted to use the red FPJs with a bolt conversion kit.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:44 PM
Dominant Buck

The bolt on the original disc is also different then the Extreme and the Elite. As were the breech plugs, because of the design of the orange primer jackets. Then they went to a red primer jacket and a different bolt. Finally the different breech plug and adaptor allows even an original Disc to shoot bare primers.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:59 PM
Spike

Cristal clear!

Thansk
Old 09-20-2012, 06:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's easier if you have actually seen each...

I own an original Disc and love it...My brother has a Bighorn that was converted to the red discs and I don't care for it at all, since he knows no better, he likes it...
Old 09-20-2012, 06:44 PM
Dominant Buck

Mine also is an original ... orange jacket shooting... now converted to Lehigh/Knight new breech plug and adaptor. It can shoot Black Horn 209 and needs no primer jackets. I don't shoot is much as its kind of a boring rifle. You shoot it, and it does the same thing over and over again. But it is a nice rifle and I like it a lot.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
Mine also is an original ... orange jacket shooting... now converted to Lehigh/Knight new breech plug and adaptor. It can shoot Black Horn 209 and needs no primer jackets. I don't shoot is much as its kind of a boring rifle. You shoot it, and it does the same thing over and over again. But it is a nice rifle and I like it a lot.
Cayugad, I seem to recall that the Lehigh Conversion Breech Plug was not guaranteed to work in an original Disc rifle that had been modified with the Extreme Conversion Kit. Something about variances in tolerances. Was the total conversion easy?

Curious whether anyone who has gone this route has had trouble? I have a Lehigh BP and would like to pick up an original Disc on the cheap but don't want to be left hanging.

One other thing, I know the original disc stock is different than the extreme or elite. Any preferences?
Old 09-21-2012, 09:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

I converted a DISC 45cal with the real Lehigh NFPJ and a DE bolt without any problems. I also converted a LRH and GMB54-120 without issues.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by hubby11
Cayugad, I seem to recall that the Lehigh Conversion Breech Plug was not guaranteed to work in an original Disc rifle that had been modified with the Extreme Conversion Kit. Something about variances in tolerances. Was the total conversion easy?

Curious whether anyone who has gone this route has had trouble? I have a Lehigh BP and would like to pick up an original Disc on the cheap but don't want to be left hanging.

One other thing, I know the original disc stock is different than the extreme or elite. Any preferences?
At the time of the release of the Lehigh NFPJ conversion it had been tested in many different Extremes and Elites, I had not been tested as wide in the othe model of Knight DISC's. In most cases the conversion will work extremly well in any of the Knight DISC rifles. The problem that you may incurr exists in all Knight DISC guns. The depth that the breech plug hole in the barrel was drilled by Green Mountain. There was a wide range in the tolerances allowed at that time because the effort to make the gun clean was not a priority. Some DISC are drilled up to 10-15 thou deeper than others in either direction to deep or to shallow.

So it is possible that the plug could be to tight (very unlikely) or what is more common the breech plug goes in to far not allowing the bolt face to get a slight crush on the primer. This latter problem is very easy to fix.

The conversion is really easy remove the bolt retaining screw, remove the bolt, remove the exsiting breech plug. Insert the new breech plug, instert (drop it in) the primer adapter in the nose of the Extreme bolt, install the bolt, install the retaining screw and you are done.

Extreme Bolt and Primer Adapter

R&R has the NFPJ conversion for a good price

http://www.rrarms.com/knight-extreme...rsion-kit.html

If you need to adjust the primer pocket to get the slight crush on a W209 primer, you can purchase some stainless steel shims for the primer pocket...

This picture shows a shim placed in the neck of the primer pocket ready to be pressed into the pocket...

Primer pocket shims...

Remember there is a good chance you will not need any of this shim information

Last edited by sabotloader; 09-21-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

sabotloader

A week or two ago, i saw that conversion bolt at Cabela', and ordered it. What i found is the photo, and title of that kit is an error. What came to the house was a kit for the older plunger rifles. The description of the product you linked does describe it correctly. At any rate, i was disappointed, and returned the item.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.