Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

A Hog Picture

Old 09-19-2012, 06:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

It has nothing to do with hunting BPS. It's all about thinning the population of a destructive pest.

Although I have to tell you, trapping can be fun and interesting. But the work really begins when you get a half dozen in a trap. I'd rather skin three deer than one hog. Also, hogs are smart critters. There's a learning curve to successfully trapping them.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:58 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Blackpowdersmoke
That must be an exciting hunt...bait them into a box and then shoot em' in the head.
No thanks.

BPS
It is not really about the hunting Blackpowdersmoke. We understand your comment. Its about getting rid of a dangerous animal, a destructive animal, while at the same time getting a lot of excellent eating.

Falcon.. I was reading that you can catch some diseases from handling these wild hogs with your bare hands.. is that true?
Old 09-19-2012, 07:02 PM
Typical Buck

Yeah no kidding. Has nothing to do with hunting. After talking and seeing some pictures of what some people deal with because of these hogs I would be doing it too. I also have been told if you have a hog problem and think your going to even put a dent in the population just by going out and hunting you are sadly mistaking. A lot of guys I have talked to trap, shoot, hunt them with dogs and still have a bunch of hogs on their property tearing up there crops and farming land.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

BPS, i can understand your concern; you have never dealt with hundreds of hogs on your property. Every hog we shoot or trap gets eaten by someone. BTW: Its a lot of work.

I also have been told if you have a hog problem and think your going to even put a dent in the population just by going out and hunting you are sadly mistaking
You were told right. Hogs are an invasive species-vermin. One cannot control the hog problem by hunting alone. i tried that on our three properties for years while the hog population expotentially increased to the detriment of the deer and small game.

A sounder of hogs traveling across country is like a giant vacuum cleaner going over the land: They eat all the eggs of ground nesting birds; they eat the smaller turtles. At one of our places the quail population went to nearly zero. Beginning in the winter of 2010 we trapped hogs there with a vengeance: The quail population has rebounded nicely. Some big boar hogs get a taste for fawns; i've seen that. They also eat young calves.

Contrary to the myth put out by the TV hog hunting shows; hog dogging does not work. The dogs hit a sounder of hogs and they catch one or two; the rest run off to another place to commit their havoc. They will be return.

Falcon.. I was reading that you can catch some diseases from handling these wild hogs with your bare hands.. is that true?
Yes, it is true. i sometimes hog hunt with a medical doctor who puts on long medical gloves that extend above the elbow before field dressing hogs. Dollar store kitchen gloves do it for me.

http://www.huntinghog.com/wild-hog-d...and-parasites/

Feral hogs, like any animal, have the potential to carry diseases and parasites. Although they have the ability to spread these diseases to livestock and humans, the transfer from feral hogs to humans and livestock is not well documents.There are two diseases associated with feral hogs and Russian wild boar that have been documented. Feral hogs can commonly carry pseudorabies and swine brucellosis, although many hogs do not. Other diseases feral hogs may carry are tuberculosis, tularemia, and even anthrax.
There's a learning curve to successfully trapping them.
Semisane, it was a very long learning curve for me. But we finally got it right.

Nothing dulls a hunting knife like field dressing dirty hogs.

Last edited by falcon; 09-20-2012 at 04:41 AM.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have wondered how the meat on those feral hogs tastes compared to farm raised hogs. I love pork but I am damn glad we don't have feral hogs here, I wonder if it is because of our colder climate.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have wondered how the meat on those feral hogs tastes compared to farm raised hogs.

The meat of a skinny hog is not good, fortunately few of them are skinny. This big sow was fat and very good:

I love pork but I am damn glad we don't have feral hogs here, I wonder if it is because of our colder climate.
Its not due to the cold climate, wild boars thrive in Siberia. Minnesota is fortunate to not have many wild hogs-yet!!
Old 09-20-2012, 07:12 AM
Dominant Buck

I was watching a show on hogs. They said the way the hog population is spreading, if they are not controlled all states will have a hog population.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:38 AM
Typical Buck

Texas allows silencers and hunting from Helicopters to reduce the population.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:15 AM
Spike

I have watched videos of heli hunts where they shoot and kill 40+ hogs and seems like it didnt even put a dent in the population - So Why do alot of these ranches charge 300+ for a hunt on their land .... wouldnt you want to do it real cheep so more people come and knock them down faster?

BTW Great pix of the trap and hogs. Id love to give hog huntin a try one day (Guess ill be the sucker and pay 300)
Old 09-20-2012, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I understand that they're a problem....it's just that I was brought up with a "fair chase" ethic. Maybe if I had to deal with them as you do, I would see things in a different light. For now, I stay with the fair chase ethic.

BPS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.