Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
More problems with the Weather Shield on CVA Mountain Rifle >

More problems with the Weather Shield on CVA Mountain Rifle

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

More problems with the Weather Shield on CVA Mountain Rifle

Old 09-17-2012, 07:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm getting a little wear at the hinge area, but I would expect that anyway. It's out of sight. I have zero chipping so far.

I'm sure I don't have one with the oil problem. If it chips in time. I'll just remove the finish.

Unless I make a deal on an Apex. I don't know about that yet. I really like the feel of the MR, and I figure the Apex will feel the same with some extra weight. Which I like for offhand shots anyway.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by lemoyne
One of the guys in the club is having that problem, his is sort of a combination of chipping and pealing. He says he will blue it when it all comes off. He is one of those buyers of foreign stuff also his Toyota is in the shop over a recall.
how can you blue a stainless steel gun though?
Old 09-17-2012, 07:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
how can you blue a stainless steel gun though?
You do realize that Lee is a retired gunsmith - correct but for someone that is suppose to have all the knowledge that you claim to have - this really seems to be an odd question...

http://gunblue.homestead.com/Stainless.html

This might help you..
Old 09-17-2012, 07:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm not sure why anybody would want to blue SS? A bead blast finish is easy to take care of, and has no glare. Perfect for hunting.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:03 AM
1874sharpsshooter

CVA oughtto include a hard plastic case for the MR and they could offer a guarantee that as long as you use the hard case and not take the gun out of the case it won't chip or flake .

Old 09-17-2012, 08:08 AM
Banned

i do remember knights and their camo stocks ALWAYS chipping/peeling. Its hard to find a used tk2000 thats NOT pealings off its camo finish.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
CVA oughtto include a hard plastic case for the MR and they could offer a guarantee that as long as you use the hard case and not take the gun out of the case it won't chip or flake .
I really wonder of this is a result of NOT doing some research and development before offering a product to the open market. Of course not doing R&D does save money. But from looking at the pictures that have been provided - I believe that the coating is extremely brittle and because it is applied to stainless as a surface protectant it is not really sticking nor is it penetrating the metal. Even the pictures of the reciever, which MD suggests you should expect some wear in the hinge portions - it really does not look like wear it appears to be chipping from metal catching a peice of coating and then chipping out a chunk.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:14 AM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
i do remember knights and their camo stocks ALWAYS chipping/peeling. Its hard to find a used tk2000 thats NOT pealings off its camo finish.
thats funny, I've owned Knights since you were in pre-school and I don't remember that. I have at least 40 Knights and not a one has that problem. But if it was going to happen, I would just as soon it happened to one you owned. OH wait a minute , have you actually owned any Knights????

Old 09-17-2012, 08:17 AM
Banned

yep owned 2 knights before.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

You may be surprised to know I owned one too.

It wasn't bad for a kit gun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.