HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   The V2's virgin range visit (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/372472-v2s-virgin-range-visit.html)

bronko22000 09-14-2012 09:02 AM

The V2's virgin range visit
 
5 Attachment(s)
I finally got to take the new V2 to the range this morning to do some preliminary load testing. Once at the range the first thing I did after popping a couple primers was to sight in the open sights (just in case). I then put the scope on and tightened the rings onto the base. I used 240 gr .429" cast bullets with Harvester sabots and 90 gr of BH209 to sight in the open sights. The sights proved to be good the way they were at 25 yds. The first shot with the same load and the scope was also on paper so I moved the target out to 50 yds. At the 50 yd distance I shot 3 shots each with 250 gr and 300 gr Shockwaves and 90 gr of BH209. The 250s were just under an inch and the 300s were just over an inch. (See first target) Not too good for 50 yds. I replaced the target and fired 3 shots each of the 240 gr cast and 300 gr Sierra .451" SP and 90 gr of BH209. The cast were about 1 1/2" but the Sierras were only 0.30" C-C. (See second target).
OK now lets see how they are at 100 yds. Staying with the 90 gr charge the 3 shots held a nice group and were a bit low right. I made a scope adjustment and shot 3 more of the Sierras with a 100 gr charge. The group opened up slightly.
My last target for the day I went back down to 90 gr of BH209 and shot 3 shots each of .429" 300 gr XTPs and 295 gr Powerbelts. The XTPs with the Harvester CR sabots were the tightest to load out of all but proved to be the most accurate. These were followed closely by the Powerbelts (.93" and .94" respectfully).
I know this is the first outing with the V2 and I still have some load work to do but my initial impression of the rifle is like this:
1. Is it a piece of junk as some claim? Definately not.
2. Does it have a lousy trigger? Again, no way. No creep at all. I
would say that this trigger rivals the triggers on my Browning
and Tikka centerfire rifles.
3. Is it accurate? You bet it is.
Summary: IMO the V2 is a stong accurate rifle. It functioned flawlessly. There was no blowback from the breech plug after 30 shots. And no misfires. With the 90 gr load the spent primers could come out easily with the fingers. With the 100 gr charge however they did stick a bit but popped out easily with the tool. Upon arriving home and beginning disassembly for cleaning the breech plug was easily removed without the use of any tools.

cayugad 09-14-2012 09:33 AM

Good shooting and a great range report! That sounds like a nice set up you have there.

Semisane 09-14-2012 09:43 AM

Looking mighty good there Bronko. One range session and it's ready for the hunt.

bronko22000 09-14-2012 11:08 AM

Thanks guys. I believe I will use the XTPs this year. So the next time out I will tweak the scope to get it properly sighted in. Because I got the Leupold Ultimate Slam scope on it once I sight it in at 100 yds I am going to shoot it at 200 to see where my aiming point hits the target. The scope reticle is set up for a 250 gr bullet and 150 gr of Pyrodex pellets. So my ballistics will be quite different. But its an easy fix.
You sight in at 100 then using the crosshairs on the same point shoot at 200. Mark and color in where the 200 yd group hit - then while aiming at the initial aim point with the center reticle you adjust your power ring until the 200 yd reticle dot is on the colored in area. Then mark the power ring.

ronlaughlin 09-14-2012 02:18 PM


Originally Posted by bronko22000 (Post 3977397)
..................................With the 90 gr load the spent primers could come out easily with the fingers. With the 100 gr charge however they did stick a bit but popped out easily with the tool. ...................................

This i found puzzling. Primers never stick in my V2, no matter the load. Perhaps it is the primers you are using, i didn't note what they were. In my V2 i have always used W209 or STS primer.

If the primers are sticking because of soot caked on them, perhaps using the o-ring Western Powders includes with their BH209 breech plug, will cure the issue. Replacement metric o-ring can be purchased from McMaster-Carr. Normally these o-ring are good for around 30 shot. Another advantage of the o-ring is it will keep the primer seat from being flame cut.

bronko22000 09-14-2012 02:34 PM


Originally Posted by ronlaughlin (Post 3977577)
This i found puzzling. Primers never stick in my V2, no matter the load. Perhaps it is the primers you are using, i didn't note what they were. In my V2 i have always used W209 or STS primer.

If the primers are sticking because of soot caked on them, perhaps using the o-ring Western Powders includes with their BH209 breech plug, will cure the issue. Replacement metric o-ring can be purchased from McMaster-Carr. Normally these o-ring are good for around 30 shot. Another advantage of the o-ring is it will keep the primer seat from being flame cut.

Ron these were W209s. And I am not talking abot them being terribly stuck in the BP. They were clean and very easy to pop out with the provided tool. I probably could have removed them with my fingers with a little effort. But I didn't want to break a nail - with the weekend coming up and all that!
I did have the CVA Blackhorn breechplug in and not the original. Maybe that is the difference.

Semisane 09-14-2012 02:44 PM


But I didn't want to break a nail - with the weekend coming up and all that!
Good thinking Bronko. No one wants to watch a pole dancer who has broken fingernails.

Muley Hunter 09-14-2012 02:48 PM


Originally Posted by bronko22000 (Post 3977579)
Ron these were W209s. And I am not talking abot them being terribly stuck in the BP. They were clean and very easy to pop out with the provided tool. I probably could have removed them with my fingers with a little effort. But I didn't want to break a nail - with the weekend coming up and all that!
I did have the CVA Blackhorn breechplug in and not the original. Maybe that is the difference.

Others have had that problem with Win primers. Try the CCI 209m primers. Never stuck for me.

ronlaughlin 09-14-2012 05:09 PM


Originally Posted by bronko22000 (Post 3977579)
Ron these were W209s. And I am not talking abot them being terribly stuck in the BP. They were clean and very easy to pop out with the provided tool. I probably could have removed them with my fingers with a little effort. But I didn't want to break a nail - with the weekend coming up and all that!
I did have the CVA Blackhorn breechplug in and not the original. Maybe that is the difference.

I had no idea! Seems to me, pole dancing would be difficult for hefty dudes, and one would be more likely to break a nail pole dancing than removing a primer.

Perhaps the CVA Blackhorn breechplug is the difference. I wouldn't know. The breech plug i use is the one that came with the rifle, however it has been modified to be reliable igniting Blackhorn powder. W209 primer work good in my rifle.

The good thing here is you are happy with your rifle, and it shoots straight.

Omega45 09-14-2012 05:18 PM

I have the Western Powders BH209 plug in my sons .45 Encore Bergara barrel. No blowback, no stuck primers with Win 209's.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:09 AM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.