Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
My $225 tack driver >

My $225 tack driver

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

My $225 tack driver

Old 09-10-2012, 04:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default My $225 tack driver

Just finished some load experimentation with the T/C Omega Z5 (blued barrel, black composite stock) and did a preliminary sighting in (when it gets colder, I'll double-check my zero). Ended up using the 270gr .44 DeepCurl SP with the Harvester green crush rib sabot, 110gr BH209, Win 209 primer.

It's amazing what a difference 10gr of powder will make. About two months ago, I shot the same bullet/sabot with only 100gr powder, and while the 50-yard groups were great, the 100-yard groups were like 3-4". The 10gr boost shifted this to a 1 MOA load.

Each circled shot or group was made after a scope adjustment. I'm thinking I'll leave it right there...what do you say?

Oh, and I'm surprised I was able to keep my nerves steady. About 2 shots before I was ready to start using this target to sight in, I got a little too cozy with the gun, and got a nice scope bite on the bridge of my nose. Things were fuzzy for a few minutes there! Somehow I was able to continue to shoot well, even though I was sure I would flinch a time or two.

OK - I added attachments...why are they not showing in thread? Tried this twice, and they showed in the preview.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Attempt to add attachments again...
Attached Thumbnails My 5 tack driver-photo-1.jpg   My 5 tack driver-photo-2.jpg  
Old 09-10-2012, 04:52 AM
1874sharpsshooter

That's some really good shooting. Looks like its ready for the season. I really like my Nikon Omega scopes, it's hard to get scope bite like that with 5 inches of eye relief. Have a great season and enjoy that Omega.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks. The scope bite was my fault. The scope has plenty of relief, I was just crowding the gun without even realizing it.

I was not even planning on switching loads from last season, when I was shooting 300gr Deepcurl HPs with 110gr BH209. I think I was shooting 1.5" groups with that last season, but could not get it to group as well this time. There would be two shots almost touching, then the 3rd would almost always be two inches or so off. Not sure why. But when I started getting groups like this with the 270gr bullets, switching was a no-brainer.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:10 AM
Dominant Buck

Excellent shooting. You can not ask more of a rifle them what your Omega is doing. As for scope bite.. lets just say I insist on a long eye relief scope. I've had my hat knocked off too many times from scopes. And only one little touch to the face so far. That looks like a dandy smack you got there. I applaud you for keep your cool and not flinching. I know of one person that had basically the same thing happen and he never could shoot the offending rifle well again. He went to a lesser caliber you might say. So.. way to hang in there.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:53 AM
Fork Horn

I think that will do it. Great shooting and I think that load will do a number on anything you decide to shoot with it.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:14 AM
Fork Horn

Scope bite--hurts--....good group--takes some of pain away--............good shooting
Old 09-10-2012, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome shooting! You can't argue with groups like that....
Old 09-10-2012, 10:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

That's a darn nice cut NATO, and good groups too. You just have to be doubly proud.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the comments, all. I'm quite pleased with the results and hope I'm even more pleased with the first field test.

Originally Posted by cayugad
That looks like a dandy smack you got there. I applaud you for keep your cool and not flinching. I know of one person that had basically the same thing happen and he never could shoot the offending rifle well again. He went to a lesser caliber you might say. So.. way to hang in there.
It was tough. I won't lie; it hurt like a mommy. I just put my head down for what felt like 2-3 minutes until the birds stopped flying around my head. It took me awhile to get the next shot off. Every time I started to put pressure on the trigger, I could feel myself tensing up. I had to take the primer out and dry fire 5 or 6 times to start getting comfortable again. It took a few more actual shots with no incident to start feeling totally at ease.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.