Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Triple 7

Old 09-08-2012, 10:02 AM
Fork Horn

Default Triple 7

Does any use triple 7 pellets? How do you clean your gun after shooting. I know it says you can use water but wonder if boiling the water would work best. thanks
Old 09-08-2012, 10:35 AM
Fork Horn

Bruse,

I put a dab of dish soap in a coffee can of warm water. Put the end of the barrel in the coffee can and scrub the bore with a patch or bore mop. Works quickly and easily. Make sure to dry thoroughly and oil the bore to prevent rust.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:57 AM
Fork Horn

I use a 50 /50 mix of water and windex for loose , pellets or any powder but BH209 . It works great . I pre-soak my patches and store them in a container for use. I swab the barrel every one or two shots. If not you get what has been called the crud ring.

I remove the breach plug if you have one, then push from the breach to the end of the muzzle.

Steve
Old 09-08-2012, 11:03 AM
Fork Horn

Iused them to about 2 years ago then switched over to BH 209. I always put a dab of dawn liquid in a old mop pail and used a mop and brush to get fouling out. found hotter the water the better. after i got down cleaning I put the barrel in a gutter I made the length of the barrel and sealed off ends to hold water. Then dumped a pot of boiling water over it. Let it sit about 5 minutes and pull it out. The boiling water heats the barrel up so when it comes out of water it's hot enough to dry out it self. Aftr it cooled down a patch of bore butter down it to coat the barrel on the inside.
I never really had any problems with rust, just the crud ring I would get with T7.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:41 AM
Dominant Buck

I first off had terrible luck with Triple Seven pellets, but it is easy to clean the rifle after you're done shooting. Simple water will work. Water with soap probably don't work better then water, but its something about soap that makes us feel better about cleaning. Windex also works well.

Inlines I clean with Simple Green. Simple Green is a commercial cleaner that just cleans about anything you want to clean. I have used all sorts of things. But since I have a spray bottle of Simple Green at the cleaning table.. then it is simple green. If I had water it would be water.

After your sure the barrel is clean, run a patch or two of pure isopropyl alcohol through the barrel. Then a couple dry patches. Alcohol will displace any water you might have missed, and the dry patches will insure the barrel is clean and dry before you coat it with your favorite gun oil..
Old 09-08-2012, 12:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would use some other powder, about 80% of use have gotten crud ring from 777 loose or pellets if you must use pellets use pyrodex 4 30 grain or 2 50 grain usually work and you can get a second shot with out cleaning.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:49 AM
Fork Horn

I'll have to look into another powder as I was talking with a guy at the range about that yesterday. I noticed that after I shoot and load the second shot it doesnt go all the way down as the first did. Is that the ring that is being talked about. I do notice it is hard to group the rifle when the shots are never seated at the same depth. thanks
Old 09-09-2012, 03:47 PM
Spike

I had a few hangfires with the 777. Switched to Pioneer sticks and never had anymore problems, far as cleaning I use foaming carb cleaner. When its clean I make a patch covered with Bore Butter to swab the barrel with.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:04 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by BRUSE
I'll have to look into another powder as I was talking with a guy at the range about that yesterday. I noticed that after I shoot and load the second shot it doesnt go all the way down as the first did. Is that the ring that is being talked about. I do notice it is hard to group the rifle when the shots are never seated at the same depth. thanks
Bruse,

The " Crud Ring " is a common problem with T7. When it's ignited, it leaves a hard ring or a fouling patch just above where it was seated.

NOT HAVING YOUR NEXT BULLET FIRMLY SEATED ON THE POWDER IS DANGEROUS.

If you continue to use T7 be sure to swap between shots. T7 is a fine powder but has some maintenance which come along with it's use. There are many threads here on how to remove the ring but it does requires swabbing between shots.

A good practice is to mark your ramrod after you load your first round. Then, make sure all subsequent rounds are loaded at the same depth. Be careful not to leave a gap between the powder and the bullet. Your owners manual will clearly state this as mandatory.

If you want to talk about alternative powders we have a whole new topic and yes, it will be very difficult to get a group with this issue involved.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:53 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by BRUSE
Very interesting! My nephew has an inline and has been shooting the Triple 7 pellets for at least 4 years. He could fire at least 4 or 5 times without swabbing. Suddenly last year he started having the same issue you had with not being able to seat the second shot all the way down. We have no idea what changed. As soon as he gets his rifle back from a gunsmith (new sights), we are going to try some of my loose Triple 7 to see if that makes a difference. We are also going to try a charge of 80 gr. loose. I get a crud ring in my traditional caplock, but I can get at least 5 to 6 shots with a PRB between swabbing without affecting the accuracy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.