Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Triple 7

Old 09-10-2012, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bruce H
Very interesting! My nephew has an inline and has been shooting the Triple 7 pellets for at least 4 years. He could fire at least 4 or 5 times without swabbing. Suddenly last year he started having the same issue you had with not being able to seat the second shot all the way down. We have no idea what changed. As soon as he gets his rifle back from a gunsmith (new sights), we are going to try some of my loose Triple 7 to see if that makes a difference. We are also going to try a charge of 80 gr. loose. I get a crud ring in my traditional caplock, but I can get at least 5 to 6 shots with a PRB between swabbing without affecting the accuracy.

For me it really depends on the rifle- I have one rifle that doesn't get the crud ring at all (with loose T7), and I can shoot many, many shots in a row without any issues. On the other hand, I have 2 other rifles that both get the crud ring with loose T7 to one extent or another- I have used T7 primers and this helps some, but I still need to swab in between shots....