Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Weaver or Leupold base? >

Weaver or Leupold base?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Weaver or Leupold base?

Old 09-07-2012, 07:08 PM
Fork Horn

Default Weaver or Leupold base?

I want to change the lousy TC Gorilla grip rings that are on my muzzleloader out. Now I am normally a fan if Weaver style bases but Weaver only makes an aluminum base for this gun. Warne doea make a steel one but there seem to be a lot of issues being reported with it. So that leaves the aluminum Weaver or a steel Leupold style. Which would you choose? Do the aluminum Weaver bases hold up?
Old 09-07-2012, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Weaver aluminum bases have worked fine for me.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:37 PM
Typical Buck

Good experience with Weaver aluminum here.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by slowr1der
I want to change the lousy TC Gorilla grip rings that are on my muzzleloader out. Now I am normally a fan if Weaver style bases but Weaver only makes an aluminum base for this gun. Warne doea make a steel one but there seem to be a lot of issues being reported with it. So that leaves the aluminum Weaver or a steel Leupold style. Which would you choose? Do the aluminum Weaver bases hold up?
I really do prefer the Leupold bases and rings... The fact that you can use the rear base to move the scope left and right for the course alignment of the scope before going the adjustments on the scope I think is a big plus...

You can see the set-up in these pictures..

Old 09-08-2012, 03:17 AM
Typical Buck

I have both.

I mostly buy the Weaver Bases and the work just fine. I did buy a used gun that came with the Leupold and they are really nice and very very solid.

When I needed new bases for my 7MM Weatherby, I paid the extra for the Leupold's.

My thoughts, Weavers will work just fine. Leupolds are the best but you pay for them. Kind of like many things in life.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

What gun will they go on?
Old 09-08-2012, 12:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have used both, no problems.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:31 AM
Fork Horn

Slowrider you dont mention what model rifle you have. I suggest you look at Williams Streamline mounts. I use them on virtually everything. I never see any point of impact movement year after year.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:32 AM
Fork Horn

I forgot to mention Talley. They have a nice selection of rings that are worth a look.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

For my Omega, the Weaver one piece aluminum works great. I use some steel millet scope rings that let me adjust for windage if needed (never have). On my set up, I used a pair of alignment rings and it was dead on without any adjustments.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.