Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
My thoughts on this bullet mold >

My thoughts on this bullet mold

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

My thoughts on this bullet mold

Old 08-31-2012, 08:16 PM
Banned

Default My thoughts on this bullet mold

Doing some more thinking and looking, that 325gr bullet accurate molds will make me looks pretty darn close to a powerbelt. Minus the aerotip and nipple at the base of course.

It also looks like it will have more surface to ride on the lands than the powerbelt does as well since it doesnt taper off as drastically as the powerbelt.

You pop the aerotip off as well as the base and the powerbelt is a very short stubby bullet in similar weight.

I also believe that when i knurl those bullets i will not do the entire length, but just a band around the very top so you can pop them into the bore easily and just give a push down and get them into the bore.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:21 PM
1874sharpsshooter

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
Doing some more thinking and looking, that 325gr bullet accurate molds will make me looks pretty darn close to a powerbelt. Minus the aerotip and nipple at the base of course.

It also looks like it will have more surface to ride on the lands than the powerbelt does as well since it doesnt taper off as drastically as the powerbelt.

You pop the aerotip off as well as the base and the powerbelt is a very short stubby bullet in similar weight.

I also believe that when i knurl those bullets i will not do the entire length, but just a band around the very top so you can pop them into the bore easily and just give a push down and get them into the bore.

Except that's more of a mans bullet cause it doesn't wear a skirt.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:22 PM
Dominant Buck

What would happen if you cast that bullet, then cut the ears back big time on a sabot and used that under the bullet? Would that make is a homemade Powerbelt?
Old 08-31-2012, 08:26 PM
Banned

well thats another one of my thoughts. You know those sub bases that MMP makes for smokeless ML? I dont know if they can make the hollow base or not, but i was seriously thinking about having that done. I dont know if it would help accuracy or make it worse due to the added length so thats up in the air.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:43 PM
Dominant Buck

Well for instance, if this is a 50 caliber bullet. What if you cut the ears off a .500 sabot? That would protect the base of the bullet. And maybe this extra length might work to the advantage of a faster twist barrel. Just a thought.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:31 PM
Banned

yes its a 50cal bullet.

I thought a knurling band towards the bottom would be nice as well to prevent it from cocking in the bore, plus it will be a back up to keep the bullet im the bore firmly.

I'll have to pick up some hornady great plains bullets so i can slug my rifles bores and then decide the best size to order this mold in.

Last edited by MountainDevil54; 08-31-2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:15 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54

A stupid question, how do you knurl the bullet? Is it done with a special tool in a press?
Old 09-01-2012, 05:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

There are several ways to knurl a bullet.

This is with 2 files.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NncCcscSQa8

This is with a Corbin knurling tool which is expensive.
http://www.corbins.com/hct-2.htm

You can also just add a few cannelures with this tool.
http://www.ch4d.com/?com=catalog&vie...ct&alias=12000
Old 09-01-2012, 05:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well for instance, if this is a 50 caliber bullet. What if you cut the ears off a .500 sabot?
Ive done that and it does work. You can also use the base off of a 28 gauge shotshell cup. They are much cheaper and they are larger than the sabot base. Harder to load but it seals the bore better too.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

If you're haveing the mold made, why not have them put a few bands around it like the Lee REAL?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.