Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
What do you think in regards to American products? >

What do you think in regards to American products?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What do you think in regards to American products?

Old 08-31-2012, 12:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nice try, but Jeeps are built in Toledo Ohio. eh!
Old 08-31-2012, 12:37 PM
Banned

close enough to canada eh
Old 08-31-2012, 12:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

My Jeep wants an apology next time you see it.

It feels really bad now.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love to buy American. All my muzzleloaders except for my Lyman GPR are American made. (Whites and Knights) The only problem is they were all made 12 to 20 years ago so buying them doesn't help the American worker too much. If I had a mind to buy a new muzzleloader,and I donot, I am guessing it would be between Knight and CVA.
Part of the problem with foreign goods overtaking the market is that it is hard for the American companies to compete with their prices. Part of it is that the remaining American companies do not always shine when it comes to service for their customers. It is not always that the customer doesn't care about America, often it is that the company just isn't doing its job. JMHO
Art
Old 08-31-2012, 12:48 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Jeeps are made by Chrysler.

Don't mess with my Jeep.

Jeeps are assembled by Chrysler using globally-sourced components from low cost countries.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by ram2
Jeeps are assembled by Chrysler using globally-sourced components from low cost countries.
What isn't in America? Leupold scopes have Asian glass as an example.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

i prefer to buy well made US products when they are available. i will not buy a shoddy product regardless where it is made. When it comes to guns i have this hatred of Tupperware.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by falcon
i prefer to buy well made US products when they are available. i will not buy a shoddy product regardless where it is made. When it comes to guns i have this hatred of Tupperware.
Why? It keeps food fresh.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Here is the way I see. I spent the past 40 years of my life working in quality assurance for both private industry and government. So I know quality when I see it. And the same for shoddy work. And sometimes the old saying "you get what you pay for" doesn't always apply. Lets take MLs for example being that this is a BP thread. I own Knight and T/C MLs. All my T/Cs are Hawkens but they do not have T/C barrels. Every one of them has a GM barrel on it. Why, Because the GMs just outshoot the T/Cs. But both are American made. Now I did just purchase a CVA Accura VR. Why, because it cost less and IMO is a better value in price and quality and performance than the T/C Triumph I almost did buy.
Just about all my CF firearms are American made S&W, Remington, Savage and Marlin. But look closely at the newer CFs coming out by Remington and Savage. Their low end models look like they were finished with a file. The bolts feel like they have sand in them just to name a few problems. I know they make these models to be inexpensive but come on! Now go to the higher end models: the Remington 700 for example and compare it to a comparatively priced Tikka T3 (made in Finland). The Tikka's bolt is so slick - like water on glass. The Remingon not so much. And the Tikka guarantees it accuracy.
Pride and craftsmanship for most companies have been replaced by greed for the almighty dollar. Sad but true.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I owned a CVA traditional rifle when I was a kid. I don't remember anything about the gun other than it was a cheap hunk of junk. I shot PRB's out of it and even managed to kill some rabbits, rock chucks, and a fox.

When I got old enough to get a large caliber CF gun I gave the CVA to a guy that wanted it to hang in his house. I didn't go back to ML until I got a Knight BK 92. I still have that gun, it is a great shooting gun but it was the cheep version of the mk85.
I shot my largest mule deer with that gun.

I loaned it out to my wife's cousin a couple years ago and he killed a fantastic antelope with it.

Since then I have used nothing but TC Renegades and Hawkens with Green Mountain barrels. Green Mountain puts out a quality product and stand behind their product.

The shooting world would have to come to a complete end for me to buy a CVA. Companies have only one chance at a first impression. They blew it and that is that. I have gone on to better rifles. Ron

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.