Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Pictures of the New gun >

Pictures of the New gun

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Pictures of the New gun

Old 08-30-2012, 06:56 PM
Banned

Has arrived!!

UPS surprised me today and added more stress on my shoulders by bringing her in today. 8 days from my hunt and she arrives in all her glory! I seriously have NEVER been this excited over a gun. I compared it to dating a girl for a while and then.... Well I can't say the rest but this is one friggin amazing muzzleloader that has complete style to it and feels like a perfect fit. I test fitted a 4x scope on it just to see and that sucker with the medium mounts that came with it, was perfect view of my eye, i didnt have to move my head side to side to get things lined up, It was perfect.

The oil that was protecting the bore and other metal almost had that diesel fuel smell.... Odd, yes... But it cleaned out extremely easily with Gun Scrubber and then followed up by Bore Scrubber and a Bore Brush. I also cleaned the breech plug threads out and made sure to flood that area with the Gun Scrubber to make sure that any kind of machining flakes were left over in there, they got flushed out.

Once that was done I installed a new Western Powders Blackhorn209 breech plug, snugged it up TIGHT to mate the face of the plug to the chamber inside the barrel. Next i removed the firing pin bushing, cleaned it out, relubed and then added a .005" shim to the bushing to adjust the "head space" to keep a snug fit against the primer to prevent blow by. This MR had excellent head space to begin with so only a thin shim was needed to make it perfect.

Next I stripped the forearm, barrel, rear stock and again used Gun Scrubber and sprayed down the frame exterior and internals. A good thing to because most people think all you need to do is wipe down the gun, clean the bore and its good to go. No way! Some don't realize that some machine shavings may still be left behind after assembly. I found some shaving mainly in the rear stock mount hole on the frame. It still leaves into the trigger assembly which can really mess something up or worse, make it feel gritty. CLEAN IT! No matter what Brand of Muzzleloader it is.

I measured the trigger right out of the box and it broke clean and crisp at 27oz and then 25oz. After cleaning out the guts with the Gun Scrubber and re-oiling with Gun Oil " PTFE Lubricant" She broke 3 times in a row at 27oz. Another beautiful trigger!

The biggest thing is the color combo for some. Its a very very light Tan, depending on the lighting i guess. The Weather Guard they used is nothing like Ceracoat which is very rough and dirty feeling. This WG is very smooth and slick and doesn't give off a glare, even during my picture taking in which i used a flash.

But enough with the talk, I will be writing a review on this gun later on during hunting season while we hunt with it. Heres the pics guys.

Not a big fan of the ramrod palm saver BUT if you load sabots, its very handy. Its just not needed with my Thors so I will leave it off.

Unscrew it and have a cleaning jag as well as a built in bullet loader. It fits Thors and Powerbelts perfectly, I will have to try the sabots I have on hand and get a list going on what it will work with.

Recessed area is the bullet loader.

They also have improved the Ramrod Guide Thimbles that have plastic inserts to keep the rod quiet while stalking or while pulling/replacing it back under the barrel. They hold the ramrod A LOT tighter than the V2, Optima, Wolf, Apex. Hopefully they update the other guns with this as well

New Quake sling also has been updated with Steel parts rather than the plastic the originals came with. Love the slings but the old ones had cheap plastic parts that were hard to screw in and unscrew. This is a huge welcoming improvement IMO.

Nice contour of the upper frame

The recoil pad I am not sure about yet. IMO it seems a lot harder than the original crushzone recoil pad. Im not sure if that will be a good thing on a 6lb rifle but I wont judge it yet until I shoot it.

Beautiful camo pattern to! Its by far my most favorite.

Adjustable Trigger warning:

Last edited by MountainDevil54; 11-28-2018 at 11:08 PM.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:24 AM
Fork Horn

I wish they made this gun with a stainless finish without the coating on the barrel. I really like the looks of this gun except for that.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

I love the finish. Durable, and no reflection. Perfect for hunting.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:01 AM
Fork Horn

Beautiful rifle, hope you enjoy it.

Last edited by wildeboer; 08-31-2012 at 11:05 AM.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

Dave I was looking at this model also but decided to go with the regular stock. The MR has a different stock configuration (more like a std rifle) in the grip and the barrel is 25"vs the 27"of the VR.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Dave I was looking at this model also but decided to go with the regular stock. The MR has a different stock configuration (more like a std rifle) in the grip and the barrel is 25"vs the 27"of the VR.
The stock and receiver is actually an Apex, but the receiver is aluminum instead of steel like the Apex. I also thought about the 25" barrel, but then I saw Carlos take his V2 that he cut the barrel to 20", and shoot a 1" group at 300yds. I didn't worry about the shorter barrel after than. It will be handier in the timber, and of course easier to swing fast if you need it.

Another thing I like is the stock is made for a scope only. It's all i'll be shooting from now on, so that works out too. You'll be better off with the V2 if you're going to shoot open sights.

Overall I like the gun a lot. I should get mine on Tues.

It looks like it has steel sling swivel studs too. About time.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

I like the stock design of the VR over the MR. I seem to hold that design much steadier off hand. The MR is lighter by a bit - not much. And I don't believe the 2" difference in barrel length would be any hinderence regardless of where you're hunting. Another reason I got the VR with sights is that I want to sight in the open sights prior to installing the scope. (Weaver style bases and rings). That way if my scope gets damaged, fogged or otherwise becomes unusable, I can simply remove the scope and continue hunting using the open sights.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

One of my pet peeves has always been a comb that was too low for a scope. I like a nice cheek weld.

I had two V2's, and they only felt good to me with open sights. My Wolf is horrible. I just have my chin on the stock. I'm glad to be moving to the MR with a proper stock for a scope.

Different strokes.

btw...The MR is a pound lighter. Not a ton, but something when i'm hauling my bones up and down mountains. I guess that's why it's a mountain rifle.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:37 AM
Banned

7lbs 2.5oz with the sling and scope mount on it.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

The sling and scope mount weigh a pound?

My Wolf is 7lbs 10oz with a scope. They both start at the same weight.

I guess that would make a V2 over 8lbs without scope.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.