Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Which Shockwave Sabot Bulet? >

Which Shockwave Sabot Bulet?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Which Shockwave Sabot Bulet?

Old 01-10-2013, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have used a lot of the non-bonded shockwaves both 200 and 250 grain. The accuracy of the 200 grain .40/.50 shockwave with 120 grains of BH out of my omega is just about mind numbing and I have heard that from many other people too. I have not had any problems with the bullet disintegrating, I hit the shoulder ball joint of a big doe at 70 yards this year with that load and while I did find a couple pieces of lead in the wound most of the bullet stayed together and punched through the chest and out the other side. Terminal performance is good overall, but there are some other bullets that perform better depending on what is getting shot and how far away it is. Be prepared for deer sized game traveling a bit further after the shot when you hit them with a 200 grain shockwave at 200+ yards, you are not going to get many bang-flops unless you hit spine. That doesn't bother me too much given the accuracy I can obtain.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:07 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by JoeRE
I have used a lot of the non-bonded shockwaves both 200 and 250 grain. The accuracy of the 200 grain .40/.50 shockwave with 120 grains of BH out of my omega is just about mind numbing and I have heard that from many other people too. I have not had any problems with the bullet disintegrating, I hit the shoulder ball joint of a big doe at 70 yards this year with that load and while I did find a couple pieces of lead in the wound most of the bullet stayed together and punched through the chest and out the other side. Terminal performance is good overall, but there are some other bullets that perform better depending on what is getting shot and how far away it is. Be prepared for deer sized game traveling a bit further after the shot when you hit them with a 200 grain shockwave at 200+ yards, you are not going to get many bang-flops unless you hit spine. That doesn't bother me too much given the accuracy I can obtain.
I hear you on the accuracy. I can make on big hole at 100yds using the supplied MMP sabot with 100gr BH out of my Optima Elite and a little larger group using CR's.